Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A-Bap wrote:
ringo wrote:I don't see anything to sugges that it is more draggy.
The frontal area isn't much more than the usual barge boards because of the multiple gaps.
most of the drag may come from vortices, but no real evidence exists to say how much of it is considerable drag.
On a fundamental level, there's much more surface area meeting the flow than with a standard bargeboard, and therefore more points of flow energization. Energizing air costs power.
You add energy to the flow mainly by direction changes. These barge boards have less direction change than a typical curved panel barge board. I don't think there is more surface area on the vertical bits either; maybe the strakes on the horizontal makes for increased surface area. However there is negligible increase in drag from skin friction.
It is something that would have to observed or investigated. I don't think we can assume it's very draggy. Increased Vortex drag is more plausible, but with the strakes being close to the ground, the ground will break the vortices.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Whilst the barge board and ground comb may be draggy, they might also be improving flow conditions such that the overall drag is lower, or at least the L/D improves. An improving L/D is always worth having.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:Whilst the barge board and ground comb may be draggy, they might also be improving flow conditions such that the overall drag is lower, or at least the L/D improves. An improving L/D is always worth having.
Every time someone mentions they might be draggy, I get a flash back to people saying the same about Australia II. Yea, it had more surface drag, but it more than made up for it in other areas.
201 105 104 9 9 7

WaikeCU

Let's imagine if it's draggy. Who says it will be on the car in Melbourne. Can't they be just testing parts for high downforce tracks such as Monaco? It's testing guys! We can speculate all we can, but reality will tell when the cars get on track Friday FP1.

CBeck113
CBeck113

WaikeCU wrote:Let's imagine if it's draggy. Who says it will be on the car in Melbourne. Can't they be just testing parts for high downforce tracks such as Monaco? It's testing guys! We can speculate all we can, but reality will tell when the cars get on track Friday FP1.
HOW DARE YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND START TALKING COMMON SENSE! :mrgreen:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

A-Bap

WaikeCU wrote:Let's imagine if it's draggy. Who says it will be on the car in Melbourne. Can't they be just testing parts for high downforce tracks such as Monaco? It's testing guys! We can speculate all we can, but reality will tell when the cars get on track Friday FP1.
Precisely. That was root of my original hypothesis. The picket fence barge board appears to be a high DF solution; I don't think we'll see it in Canada or Monza. Yet it was tested everyday since it's introduction...and speed traps weren't that great...and they have ostensibly made handsome gains in PU output.

This is curious to me.

flynfrog

I deleted a bunch of off topic crap. This is a thread about the car not if you think another team is cheating.

PlatinumZealot

The rake barge board has many slits so the form drag should be less than a solid barge board. (Less momentum change too).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

atanatizante

Regarding car`s battery there`s an interview at HPP with their chief engineer about that matter :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1Gdg_kDXM
But I have some misunderstandings as follows :
1. Had they reduce the size battery to 75% or just 25% of the total size?
2. They charge and discharge batteries 7 times a lap ?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

humble sabot

My thinking was there would be more parasitic drag with the elements close together. In terms of purpose, with the comb near the ground at the leading edge of the sidepod it suggests to me the intent is to form a series of nominally parallel vortices across the higher section of the underfloor to travel underneath the sidepod area. I can imagine trying to keep that flow laminar is a pain as the transition is pretty abrupt and the floor is basically a flat plane by regulation.

apologies for rubbish syntax, je suis dans la lune
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

F1Krof

So insanely different :o :o :o . The Nose, so high. Also the complexity on that front wing. Massive difference 3 years make.

vs

Wroom wroom

OO7
OO7

atanatizante wrote:Regarding car`s battery there`s an interview at HPP with their chief engineer about that matter :
1. Battery size was reduced by 75%.
2. They charge and discharge the battery 7 times per race distance.

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:Regarding car`s battery there`s an interview at HPP with their chief engineer about that matter :

@ the Video. What a bumbling engineer! He must be really good!

Also of note, the compressor has at least 16 blades. Quite a lot.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

flickerf1
flickerf1

Tech analysis of Mercedes' innovations:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech- ... nt-679200/
The Wicked + The Divine.

Sevach
Sevach