Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

My guess is that it has an insulated cover in order to shield the DRS control lines/hydraulics/whatever from the heat of the exhaust.

outsid3r

bhall II wrote:My guess is that it has an insulated cover in order to shield the DRS control lines/hydraulics/whatever from the heat of the exhaust.
Yes that makes sense. There seems to be some kind of hole there but could be just for adjustment purposes on the DRS device...

ferkan
ferkan

f1316 wrote:I think it's a virtual certainty that Ferrari will have a new front wing in Melbourne.

Melbourne packages are always different to launch spec and, apart from some very small things, Ferrari has been running launch spec throughout testing.
I'm not so sure. Maybe with wind tunnel time they have been developing this wing for last year or so. They did decide to put little sharks fin on it last day of testing so I think thats the one they will be racing with in Melbourne.

FLuidd
FLuidd

The nose and front wing will be raced without modifications.

The rumor on gazzetta dello sport is that Haas has tested in the last day at barcelona the merlbourne spec engine.

Haas is quite handy tbh.

DiogoBrand

f1316 wrote:I think it's a virtual certainty that Ferrari will have a new front wing in Melbourne.

Melbourne packages are always different to launch spec and, apart from some very small things, Ferrari has been running launch spec throughout testing.
They kept pretty much the same FW for a whole season last year, I find it pretty unlikely that they'll come up with two brand new desings even prior to the first race this year.

McMrocks
McMrocks

DiogoBrand wrote:

They kept pretty much the same FW for a whole season last year, I find it pretty unlikely that they'll come up with two brand new desings even prior to the first race this year.
The lack of developement of the old design/philosophy could also imply that they were developing something completely new. But that isn't certain either. Pure speculation. Many teams will have new parts at Melb

DiogoBrand

McMrocks wrote:
The lack of developement of the old design/philosophy could also imply that they were developing something completely new. But that isn't certain either. Pure speculation. Many teams will have new parts at Melb
That's most likely what it means, and the fact that they probably spent a good portion of their time last season developing this season's concept is the reason I find unlikely for them to replace their FW so soon. But if there's already talk of them introducing a new nose I can't deny any possibility with certainty.

henra
henra

ferkan wrote: I'm not so sure. Maybe with wind tunnel time they have been developing this wing for last year or so. They did decide to put little sharks fin on it last day of testing so I think thats the one they will be racing with in Melbourne.
But they totally changed the design of the nose. It would be surprising if the optimum wing for the short nose looks identical to the optimum one for the long nose. Especially since one of the main tasks of the FW is to prep the air for the downstream flow to the diffuser. That said the addition of the small fins during the test is indeed a bit puzzling. You wouldn't do so small refinements if the FW is due for replacement during the immediate next step. Possibly they are going to run the FW as is in Melbourne in order to buy time to do a major overhaul afterwards, e.g. for the European Season.

bhall II
bhall II

henra wrote:...one of the main tasks of the FW is to prep the air for the downstream flow... That said the addition of the small fins during the test is indeed a bit puzzling. You wouldn't do so small refinements if...
You might add small features to a baseline configuration in order to replicate, or try to replicate, downstream interactions expected to occur with an updated wing. Doing so would allow engineers to develop/map the relevant downstream components without the different wing.

In principle, it's a lot like Williams' use of an illegal floor wing to collect data at last season's test in Austria...

It's been said that the current nose is a compromise solution, as the intended solution has apparently not yet passed the crash test. If that's the case, and if the intended wing/nose assembly is integrated such that it would be unreasonable to run one without the other, it doesn't make sense to allow homologation delays to impede development elsewhere on the car.

None of this is to say anything about whether or not a new wing is incoming, only that the appearance of refinements is not a reason to expect something to happen one way or the other.

FLuidd
FLuidd

bhall II wrote:
henra wrote:...one of the main tasks of the FW is to prep the air for the downstream flow... That said the addition of the small fins during the test is indeed a bit puzzling. You wouldn't do so small refinements if...
You might add small features to a baseline configuration in order to replicate, or try to replicate, downstream interactions expected to occur with an updated wing. Doing so would allow engineers to develop/map the relevant downstream components without the different wing.

In principle, it's a lot like Williams' use of an illegal floor wing to collect data at last season's test in Austria...

http://s11.postimg.org/p33x8sl2r/b0d3cw ... xmx76w.jpg

It's been said that the current nose is a compromise solution, as the intended solution has apparently not yet passed the crash test. If that's the case, and if the intended wing/nose assembly is integrated such that it would be unreasonable to run one without the other, it doesn't make sense to allow homologation delays to impede development elsewhere on the car.

None of this is to say anything about whether or not a new wing is incoming, only that the appearance of refinements is not a reason to expect something to happen one way or the other.
Ok , i want a direct link to where it says that the current nose is a compromise solution because the intended nose did not pass the crash test.

Thank you !

ripper
ripper

Leo Turrini (an italian journalist that is well informed about Ferrari) said on his blog few days ago that: " Il musetto Rosso non è definitivo, ma non è detto sarà cambiato" that means: "the Red nose is not the definitive version, but it isn't sure if it will be changed".

True, false? Who knows...

DiogoBrand

Can someone here precisely simulate the effects of that pillar if it actually is meant for aerodynamics?

armyk
armyk

ripper wrote:Leo Turrini (an italian journalist that is well informed about Ferrari) said on his blog few days ago that: " Il musetto Rosso non è definitivo, ma non è detto sarà cambiato" that means: "the Red nose is not the definitive version, but it isn't sure if it will be changed".

True, false? Who knows...
So to rephrase his tweat... "I don't know if there will be new nose or not"

irang
irang

https://twitter.com/spontonc/status/703571834579587073https://twitter.com/spontonc/status/703571836659965953https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status ... 7375128576 I guess it's up to you how credible you think f1analisitecnica is or not. Naturally nothing from any official-ish sources.

bhall II
bhall II

"According to Turrini, the current nose of the SF16-H is not the final version, but probably it won't be changed."

That sentence makes my head hurt.

According to Turrini, the current nose of the SF16-H is not the final version, but probably it's the final version.