Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Seems like they are not running the new front wing. The new front wing had an extra serrated element at the bottom.
Wroom wroom

OO7
OO7

F1Krof wrote:Seems like they are not running the new front wing. The new front wing had an extra serrated element at the bottom.
It may not have all the new elements, but basically (structurally) it is the new front wing.

flickerf1
flickerf1

dans79 wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
dans79 wrote:it looks like they are also running the split flow conditioners, has anyone heard what exactly the split is supposed to accomplish? yet another vortex?
I posted a link to a Motorsport.com article that gave a brief insight into what the updates that were placed on the W07 did during winter testing on the previous page. :)
I saw that, but it's not very descriptive, it basically described what every conditioner is supposed to do.
These changes work in unison with both the revised bargeboard and vane that hangs from the sidepod shoulder (below), improving how the airflow moves around the sidepod.
Sorry, if it wasn't very helpful. I'll try to find a more informative article.
The Wicked + The Divine.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Blaze1 wrote:
bill shoe wrote:Toward the end of testing they trialed a new front wing...
That front wing is the same as the one fitted to the car in the following images:
There was an article stating that it had failed load tests, however it was reported elsewhere that Paddy Lowe had refuted such claims and informed that the new wing had passed all the Mercedes internal (F.I.A standard) load tests.
Yea, that picture from the front makes it clear it's the newer wing. Now there are two of us making the same thing up... :D

DiogoBrand

Is it just me or that wide airbox ruins the car looks? For some reason it always reminds me of the speaker thing from Teletubbies:

dans79

flickerf1 wrote: Sorry, if it wasn't very helpful. I'll try to find a more informative article.
It's not your fault. The author is just taking images and throwing words on a page to generate clicks.
201 105 104 9 9 7

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

F1Krof wrote:Seems like they are not running the new front wing. The new front wing had an extra serrated element at the bottom.
The guys on Sky said that Merc basically don't have enough spares for the new front wing so they are protecting it by running the old wing at least in FP1, maybe they'll only strap it on for FP3 but I can't imagine they would go into qualifying without it.

So they wheeled it around with it on for media pictures as it will be the main wing going forwards just a spares issue for the first(presumably only) race.

dans79

drunkf1fan wrote: They said at some point that Merc had said they basically have, well not clear few or no spares of the new front wing so they are protecting it by running the old wing at least in FP1, maybe they'll only strap it on for FP3 but I can't imagine they would go into qualifying without it.
They are protecting the s duct nose, not the wing.
201 105 104 9 9 7

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

dans79 wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote: They said at some point that Merc had said they basically have, well not clear few or no spares of the new front wing so they are protecting it by running the old wing at least in FP1, maybe they'll only strap it on for FP3 but I can't imagine they would go into qualifying without it.
They are protecting the s duct nose, not the wing.

Well, part of the same thing, wing attaches specifically to that nose. 99% of the time it's the wing you break easily rather than the nose.... and I was typing this as Rosberg literally just broke both. Biffed the wing and is currently dragging it but, dented the nose as well. Wonder what they'll do now.

Wonder how many, if any, spares they have and how many they think they need to run the s-duct for qualifying and the race. Not sure how much difference the setup makes and if say risking changing to the alternative front nose would be bad should it be damaged in the race. Will Rosberg run quali and the race on the old nose now.

Shrieker

Did hamilton s car have the un ugly nose in fp2 ? Hope they keep it.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Chene_Mostert

I just hope Mercedes AMG F1 brought enough protection. :?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Juzh

Chene_Mostert wrote:I just hope Mercedes AMG F1 brought enough protection. :?
Of what sort?

fawe4
fawe4

Where be crash photos of that new nose?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's the old nose...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

fawe4
fawe4

Where be crash photos of that old nose then?