McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Moose wrote:Better yet, the time the MP4-31 set in Q1 would have been good enough for the front row last year.
last year was soft pirelli
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

I still had not seen the Sensodyne as McLaren sponsor.

daverdfw
daverdfw

Marco Alves wrote:
I still had not seen the Sensodyne as McLaren sponsor.
Sensodyne are owned by GSK and long time McLaren partner

http://www.gsk.com/en-gb/about-us/corpo ... rtnership/

bill shoe
bill shoe

Maybe "Rapid Relief" is a slogan that appeals to Mr. Dennis right now. And lots of people in McLaren.

The car is a solid 2 seconds off the pace. No mitigating circumstances, no excuses to be made.

They are currently looking like good bet for 7th of 11 in constructors, or maybe they end up getting ahead of Force India for 6th? I'm an old-school McLaren fan but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Tough times and tough times.

GTO99

Thunders wrote:Courtesy of f1tomi8 on teh Autorsport Forum:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd1q_86UYAAAjpG.jpg
Thanks for the pics, but pls. explain what these 2 pics are of. #-o
Last edited by GTO99 on 20 Mar 2016, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

bill shoe wrote:Maybe "Rapid Relief" is a slogan that appeals to Mr. Dennis right now. And lots of people in McLaren.

The car is a solid 2 seconds off the pace. No mitigating circumstances, no excuses to be made.

They are currently looking like good bet for 7th of 11 in constructors, or maybe they end up getting ahead of Force India for 6th? I'm an old-school McLaren fan but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Tough times and tough times.
2 seconds you say? Considering they went to conservative and used their softest rubber in q1 then I don't think so. I guess we will find out tomorrow how their race pace compares.

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

GTO99 wrote:
Thunders wrote:Courtesy of f1tomi8 on teh Autorsport Forum:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd1q_86UYAAAjpG.jpg
Thanks for the pics, but pls. explain what these 2 pics are of. #-o
A change in the rear brake duct and vane

Pierce89

Well I'll be damned, that is actually a very good looking car, I never noticed.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Soichiro
Soichiro

Well... McLaren is bad on SS in the race. Button was faster after appx. 6 laps on S than Alonso on SS. Also switching to SS, after few laps, Button begun to rapidly fall behind other cars on M and S. Looks like the car is eating tyres faster than others (at least compared to Ferrari and Red Bull).

This year looks like is less on Honda and more on McLaren part... Sure, both need to work harder and Honda still has some 50hp to gain, but looks like is there with the the Renault and upgraded 2015 Ferrari. I believe Red Bull and Torro Rosso can be taken as a (minimum) direct reference of the aero/chassis deficit part.

I am no expert, just trying to put 1+1 together from lap times and situations on the track.

P.S.: Was Button without DRS, because he could not get past Nasr when he was almost 1sec. a lap quicker when he was catching up?

F1NAC

turbof1

I do not want to feed discussion about the crash itself, but here's "the rest" of the car:
#AeroFrodo

RA168E
RA168E

Just my two cents on this, but I dont see how the Halo would have hekped, it would most likely have been a hinderance to get out of. All in all, ive never seen a chassis that wrecked in years. Probably belgium 2012.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I gather the engine's Twitter account has gone silent.

henra
henra

RA168E wrote:Just my two cents on this, but I dont see how the Halo would have hekped, it would most likely have been a hinderance to get out of. All in all, ive never seen a chassis that wrecked in years. Probably belgium 2012.
Yup,
re-using any parts of that chassis or engine will be a hell of an excercise. Probably rather: Open garbage can, put all stuff inside and close the lid.

That said, deceleration probably wasn't that high. Shedding all those bits and pieces helped dissipating the energy over an extended period of time, reducing peak g loads.

Blackout

RA168E wrote:Just my two cents on this, but I dont see how the Halo would have hekped, it would most likely have been a hinderance to get out of. All in all, ive never seen a chassis that wrecked in years. Probably belgium 2012.
http://en.f1i.com/news/47943-button-alo ... think.html