2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fifty
Fifty

Re: 2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

Apparently driver quality isn't as necessary as it was in yesteryear.

It seems that the millions a mediocre driver brings, take more tenths off of a lap than a better driver would.
Last edited by Fifty on 25 Dec 2016, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

SR71

Fifty wrote:Apparently driver quality is as necessary as it was in yesteryear.

It seems that the millions a mediocre driver brings, take more tenths off of a lap than a better driver would.
Those millions usually mean a 5-10% budget boost. Much more important than a few tenths at that end of the grid. Especially if it means being able to afford showing up at all.

NathanOlder

Drop a honda engine in the Manor and watch them beat Mclaren. Would be hilarious
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

They're not beating them with a Merc motor in there....or are you saying that the Honda is actually better than the Merc?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

No one knows where the Honda engine sits as its just 1 team running it. When Mclaren had the best engine on the grid, they were still poor.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nickel
Nickel

NathanOlder wrote:No one knows where the Honda engine sits as its just 1 team running it. When Mclaren had the best engine on the grid, they were still poor.
You're actually proposing the Honda engine is so good and the Mclaren chassis so bad, that plopping the Honda lump in the Manor will catapult them up past Mclaren? :wtf:

nice trolling.

Pierce89

adrianjordan wrote:They're not beating them with a Merc motor in there....or are you saying that the Honda is actually better than the Merc?
He's just being ridiculous. I'm pretty sure its an attempt to wind people up.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

kooleracer
kooleracer

So whats up with Manor? Wehrlein going to Sauber as a Mercedes driver, are there dark clouds hanging over this time from Banbury? Does anyone has some inside information of the status?

I wasn't expecting Pascal to go to a Ferrari team with 2016 motor if there was a seat available with a Mercedes team with a 2017 motor. So its quite an odd decision.

I expect the following drivers to be in the picture in 2017:

-Jordan King
-Giovinazzi (if KFC indonesia takes over)
-Haryanto
-Gutierrez
-Nasr
-?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Pierce89

kooleracer wrote:So whats up with Manor? Wehrlein going to Sauber as a Mercedes driver, are there dark clouds hanging over this time from Banbury? Does anyone has some inside information of the status?

I wasn't expecting Pascal to go to a Ferrari team with 2016 motor if there was a seat available with a Mercedes team with a 2017 motor. So its quite an odd decision.

I expect the following drivers to be in the picture in 2017:

-Jordan King
-Giovinazzi (if KFC indonesia takes over)
-Haryanto
-Gutierrez
-Nasr
-?
Why say kfc Indonesia, when the racing community is much more familiar with jagonya ayam.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

kptaylor
kptaylor

If they can make the grid, are Gutierrez and Nasr the most highly backed in terms of sponsor money? What would a Ron Dennis and Jagonya Ayam takeover mean? Interesting things to come for sure!

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I'd doubt that Ron will have anything to do with F1 again now. Enough people have tried and failed with the 3 new teams that was. I hate to say it but I don't think this team has any chance what so ever now. They've scored what, 2 points total in all of their iterations as an F1 team?

They have no secure long term future so can't afford to invest millions and millions into a car which won't run until 2 years time yet still afford to produce a car capable of scoring the odd point here and there in the mean time to ensure an annual payout from FOM.

I think that for as long as the FOM payouts gets divided up as they currently do then new teams such as Manor (I know they aren't new anymore) don't stand a chance. This is also going to stop new teams from wanting to join F1. Think about it, if you was Google with billions of dollars, would you rather......start a new team from scratch? OR, invest the same amount or less amount of money in an established consistent points scoring mid-field team such as Renault, Force India or Williams?

This has turned into a little rant of whats wrong with F1, and I think we all know that....sorry. But yea, first paragraph still stands IMO.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Lol, it's a miracle this team still survived until now so to be honest, it has done remarkably ok. and how do you mean tried and failed? HAAS?
and Ron is atleast somebody that is capable of doing a good job and steering the right people in the right places. Also, he can aquire enough finances to make things happen.
Don't expect it to become a 'reincarnation' of Mclaren, but i think he could do them a lot of good, actually.

I however have huge doubts and questions on those Indonesian backers. It just doesnt fit, Indonesia and F1. Matter of fact, I don't see it as much as 'countries'. I don't see
Haas as 'America F1 Team', rather as Haas, American - origined. KFC is not Indonesian, and yes somehow there's KFC Indonesia but really? It seems like a bad recipe to me.

Somehow I don't see something magical happening anymore, and this could end like their what was it, 2015 competitor that was lost due to the bankrupcy/actioned off designs,
if they have a 2017 competitor designed at all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I mean many people have come along and tried to succeed with this team, every 6, 12, 18 or 24 months the team is linked with being massively under financed to the point a new buyer or administration is soon being reported. Prior to Virgin, Lotus & HRT what was the last new start up team to enter F1? (literally just asking that, not being sarcastic)

I've deliberately left HAAS out of the equation as they IMO brought a Ferrari and built a few parts themselves to satisfy the regulations, hence why FIA changed the regs to ensure another team can't enter F1 in this fashion in future. I guess we'll see next season how well they'll do building their own car from scratch.

Ron used to be capable many years ago when things we're different. But is he now? I'm not convinced, although that's not to say he can't.....it's just my opinion....he had great resources, great drivers, great engineers, more money than you can shake a stick at and he didn't exactly come across as capable at McLaren these past few years (Honda engine aside) . Even if he is capable does he really have the desire to spend his retirement funds to put into this team?

Anyway, with this team having rumours again about new owners can we take a couple of weeks to have a silly season Manor? Or just a what we'd like to see? You can have Big Ron as owner or co-owner. I want Ross Brawn as Technical Director.

Who else wants to chip in with Drivers (pay or non-pay), designers etc?

rscsr

KeiKo403 wrote:...
Prior to Virgin, Lotus & HRT what was the last new start up team to enter F1? (literally just asking that, not being sarcastic)
Toyota 2002
Super Aguri 2006

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I read the other day that it was widely believed that both these teams were set to be extremely competitive in 2009. Both those teams last seasons were 2008 though unfortunately.

I just think that new (or not so new in this case) teams these days can't afford to have a building year or 2 to allow them to be truly competitive enough to attract long term sponsorship to finance better and more consistent race results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk