2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Honda did say they were trying for Canada. Said this at Barcelona GP. - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129495

After Monaco FP Brundle fleetingly referred to this Canada upgrade as being cancelled.

I don't think we can discount what Brundle said. His choice of words is perhaps clumsy, maybe it is just not ready for Canada but will for Baku.

diffuser

WE'll hear ...next week by this time we'll probably know.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Honda update on Canada

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... for-canada

This has reliability worries written all over it........ risk doing it and blowing yet another engine?

BosF1
BosF1

Why not wait an extra 2 weeks and do some proper mapping / programming of the new ICE?

SameSame
SameSame

fellowhoodlums wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:06
Honda update on Canada

This has reliability worries written all over it........ risk doing it and blowing yet another engine?
Why not introduce it on one car as additional testing? They really have nothing to lose, if the race stays dry they will definitely be out of the points, bar some bizarre events happening up out front.

BrunoH
BrunoH

exactly... i mean what they lack is track testing...

etusch

SameSame wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:49
fellowhoodlums wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:06
Honda update on Canada

Why not introduce it on one car as additional testing? They really have nothing to lose, if the race stays dry they will definitely be out of the points, bar some bizarre events happening up out front.
For sure they must test it at least at FP sessions with one car. So they have a real test, they lost probably nothing and they will save next race's penalty (probably) with completely set up engine. And may be driver who tested the PU will choose to race with the engine

diffuser

Hard to tell what he's saying from that ...

We'll Know for sure Thursday
  • "I don't give up and we are trying very hard [to be ready] but until Thursday [before the race], I can't decide," said Honda chief Yusuke Hasegawa.
What IS ready isn't worth introducing
  • "Already, we have had some performance [from the update], but if it is very small, it's not worth changing engine for the next one.
Settings are the big Question mark.
  • "We haven't started working on the settings.
  • "If we are not confident enough to set up that specification, it will cause some drivability issues, so the settings are also important.
If the can get the setting to their liking they have other upgrade they can add as well.
  • "We have some other elements in development, we can introduce it if we can set up and if we can check the reliability.

"It's very tight to introduce a big update for Canada."

Hasegawa says the update is focused on the internal combustion engine (ICE) with tweaks also planned for the turbine.
Last edited by diffuser on 02 Jun 2017, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

BosF1 wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:44
Why not wait an extra 2 weeks and do some proper mapping / programming of the new ICE?
Beacuse yesterday was too late....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 18:27
BosF1 wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 12:44
Beacuse yesterday was too late....

Besides maybe they learn something in the race about the mapping that they wouldn't have otherwise.

etusch

I think he have to speak clearer

GoranF1
GoranF1

Honda needs to introduce the update in Canada, test it see whats wrong whit it, then reintroduce it in Baku, test it se whats wrong whit it and so on....all at he expence of penalties because current situation is terrible and they need to start doing something.

etusch

Honda took risk to start new architecture and they have to keep taking more risks. For example Renault found something wrong on gearbox but took risk and could not finish, Honda also can take same risk for Jenson. But they didnt and they also could not finish and if they could finish they wouldn't have points. İf they had took risk they would have retired in point position.
At least with one car they have to go always experimental

GoranF1
GoranF1

Until engine is half decent they need to use season as test....when they make progress(significant) then change strategy.

HPD

Please.. honda never going to take the season as a test. A small engine problem, people humiliate honda.
It's not as easy as they say.