2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Craigy

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

fellowhoodlums wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 09:59
Honda must have about 6 engines in Montreal, old and new spec's
They have more than that at a typical event anyway.

adrianjordan

fellowhoodlums wrote:
With Honda talking about decision on PU update possibly as late as Thursday, I was thinking about the logistics of that.

It's about 15hr flight time from Japan to Montreal, add to that the packing and unloading and transport to/from airport, I can only think the updated PU will ship on Wednesday no matter what.

Tue/Wed/Thu is when the final mappings will be tested in the factory before giving the go/no go to mount the new engine.

Depends, don't forget the international date line is in between the 2 locations, so it is 9am on Thursday morning in Japan while it's 8pm on Wednesday evening in Montreal (13 hours time difference). So with a 15 hour flight time that means that they can decide on Thursday morning in Tokyo that they are going to use the new spec, ship it and have it on a plane by 1pm Tokyo time and it arrives in Montreal by 3pm local time...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Craigy

adrianjordan wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 10:41
Depends, don't forget the international date line is in between the 2 locations, so it is 9am on Thursday morning in Japan while it's 8pm on Wednesday evening in Montreal (13 hours time difference). So with a 15 hour flight time that means that they can decide on Thursday morning in Tokyo that they are going to use the new spec, ship it and have it on a plane by 1pm Tokyo time and it arrives in Montreal by 3pm local time...
I would be utterly shocked if both the old and new specs aren't in Canada ahead of time.

I'm sure the decision on which parts to fit to the car(s) will be made based on the results of testing of PUs of the new spec, which is happening back in Sakura right now, and that testing will continue right up until the last possible hour. There's no need to bring those same test parts from Sakura on Thursday - Honda will fit parts to the same specification as those in test, if they want to (it's not like they have just two of those PUs).

The PUs will be fitted on Thursday in preparation for FP1 on Friday morning in Canada.

diffuser

I agree with Craigy, Hasegawa said it himself. the hardware is ready. It's the software they need to adjust.

That's why I'm hopefull that it will get the go. Technically they have till Sunday to get the software right.

Pat Pending
Pat Pending

Craigy wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 10:27
fellowhoodlums wrote:
They have more than that at a typical event anyway.
That's just Alonso's weekend allocation... :wink:

etusch

diffuser wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 14:01
I agree with Craigy, Hasegawa said it himself. the hardware is ready. It's the software they need to adjust.

That's why I'm hopefull that it will get the go. Technically they have till Sunday to get the software right.
If I am wrong please correct me but I understand from below quoted part, during the statement hardware also still under development.
"We haven't started working on the settings. If we are not confident enough to set up that specification, it will cause some driveability issues, so the settings are also important.

"We have some other elements in development, we can introduce it if we can set up and if we can check the reliability. Everything is not ready. But we have some factors (that are).

diffuser

If this was Ferrari we could call it "The Da Vinci Code".

"We haven't started working on the settings. If we are not confident enough to set up that specification, it will cause some driveability issues, so the settings are also important.

"We have some other elements in development, we can introduce it if we can set up and if we can check the reliability. Everything is not ready. But we have some factors (that are).

"Set up" is key here.
1- I think the new Spec needs a new "Set up", new approach to get the power out of it.
2- If they get that worked out, they'll start on the settings.
3- if they do 1 and 2 they have other developments that go with the new spec that they can also introduce.
4- there are other developments planned for this spec that aren't ready.

That's how I read that.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 17:27
If this was Ferrari we could call it "The Da Vinci Code".

"Set up" is key here.
1- I think the new Spec needs a new "Set up", new approach to get the power out of it.
2- If they get that worked out, they'll start on the settings.
3- if they do 1 and 2 they have other developments that go with the new spec that they can also introduce.
4- there are other developments planned for this spec that aren't ready.

That's how I read that.
I think it´s all semantics, but to me the red part means the hardware may be finished, but it´s not been tested yet, and to me a piece wich did not pass the QC is not ready, so I wouldn´t say it´s all software. It will be all software if the tests are ok and reliability is as planned, but they´re not at that point yet

diffuser

yep, think you're right Andres....

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

After Spain this track was a good sign about engines situation if update wouldn't be introduced. We will see if there is Q3

GoranF1
GoranF1

Unfortunately, that day is not coming yet. A scheduled upgrade for this weekend's Canadian grand prix has been postponed indefinitely.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/article/ ... +2017.html
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

That doesn't Jive with what Yusuke Hasegawa was saying.

I call BS on that one.

It might be right but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

bauc

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 16:12
That doesn't Jive with what Yusuke Hasegawa was saying.

I call BS on that one.

It might be right but even a broken clock is right twice a day.
The internet is full of clickbite sites and headlines these days, so I only trust well proven publishers.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Andres125sx

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 15:43
Unfortunately, that day is not coming yet. A scheduled upgrade for this weekend's Canadian grand prix has been postponed indefinitely.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/article/ ... +2017.html
Indefinitely? :o :? :x