2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

zeph wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 21:46
I would love to see them be competitive, but at this point I don't really believe in it anymore.
I can perfectly understand this, actually even an optimistic like myself is slowly becoming unhopeful with this project, but I still give them credit... until the big upgrade.

Not sure if it´s still the optimistic in me or there´s some sense in this, but I think Honda knows they cannot fail anymore for many reasons (the poor image they´re providing, McLaren running out of patience, Alonso making the decision about his future in next months.... ) so they´re doing what they didn´t do with first 2017 PU, testing everything extensively to be sure they will not find any unexpected surprise when the PU hit the track

At least that´s my hope, if the big upgrade finally performs they still can make this project work, but if the upgrade still has reliability issues or the power is still way down the competition, it will be their harakiri, so they need to be sure about the upgrade before introducing it

Probably this is only the reality twist from an incorregible optimistic, but I still keep my hopes until the big upgrade [-o<

diffuser

We must be Sense8 cause I feel your pain!

Thunder

So i'm quoting this Post from Wazari in the PU Thread here because my Point is not a technical one...
Wazari wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 00:08
Hi folks, just to clear a few things up, there was never a scheduled update for Canada. I think a lot of wishful thinking on everyone's part. The next planned update is major in its scope and requires tremendous amounts of man hours to accomplish. Basically the whole top half of the PU should be new.

MGU-H bearing failure is a result of unforeseen multi-directional stress on the shaft and entire casing that houses the bearings.

Should have, could have, would have..........Can't turn back the clock. This whole relationship between McLaren and Honda was rocky from the start and hasn't gotten smoother. We all Honda's performance failings thus far and McLaren has had its share of internal strife also.

I think some underestimate the amount of man-hours and MONEY it takes to put together a current F1 PU together from concept to race-track. Especially with less than half the budget and manpower of the other three.
That concerns me big Time. I voiced that Concern while Pre Season Testing but the discussion died down due to the technical Issues with the PU. So they are trying to play Catch Up with less man Power and Money than the others?

And here i thought Honda was throwing everything at this Venture that is needed to be competitive quickly. :?:

@The Interview with Zak Brown: Makes Sense honestly. The Shareholders see this Partnership is not going the Way they want it and it starts to have a financial impact on McLaren. So sooner or later they are forced to make a Decision.

Edit: Also from the Reuters Interview: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor- ... 8H?rpc=401&
"It will all come together," said Brown, who said there were some big decisions to make in the next 90 days with the team needing to plan for the new car and give Alonso a reason to stay.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SR71

Honda is only spending half what the other PU suppliers spend and people thought they had a chance?

Is there a source for this?

If true there is no better example of you get what you pay for in F1.

f1rules
f1rules

yeah, my first reaction was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: are you f cking kidding me, i was under the impression Honda threw absolutely everything at it, this is FAIL on so many levels i dont know where to start, other then to conclude 3 years completely wasted by McLaren

Singabule
Singabule

The other 3 make their own chasis right? Aero work is the biggest post.

etusch

For me this engine with half budget is impressive. Merc denied to give engine, I never thought ferrari engine at mclaren and Renault is not much better than Honda. It is very interesting to read what they said.
Shareholders interesting just profit, I don't know.
İf they broke deal that will be good news for Sauber

Singabule
Singabule

etusch wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 08:16
For me this engine with half budget is impressive. Merc denied to give engine, I never thought ferrari engine at mclaren and Renault is not much better than Honda. It is very interesting to read what they said.
Yep, at this stage mclaren would sunk alone. Hope merc pull the plug at the end of 2018 so that mclaren could buy their engine.

FW17

Jost Capito was sent back to VW to bring them together?

etusch

Singabule wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 08:20
etusch wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 08:16
Yep, at this stage mclaren would sunk alone. Hope merc pull the plug at the end of 2018 so that mclaren could buy their engine.
Merc denied withdrawing but we assume they will, which PU mclaren will use in 2018?
EPİC FAİL for Mclaren for shareholders and for Zak. I think Ros smile them how they are about to ruin everything.
I expect that mclaren about to live one of these two.
First: They will try but cant find any supplier and keep going with Honda like RBR with Renault.
Second: they swap other supplier with fia help but then see a good engine comes from Honda like what Alonso lives. He left ferrari because he had not saw Light but now they are favorite of WDC

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 22:31
zeph wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 21:46
I would love to see them be competitive, but at this point I don't really believe in it anymore.
I can perfectly understand this, actually even an optimistic like myself is slowly becoming unhopeful with this project, but I still give them credit... until the big upgrade.

Not sure if it´s still the optimistic in me or there´s some sense in this, but I think Honda knows they cannot fail anymore for many reasons (the poor image they´re providing, McLaren running out of patience, Alonso making the decision about his future in next months.... ) so they´re doing what they didn´t do with first 2017 PU, testing everything extensively to be sure they will not find any unexpected surprise when the PU hit the track

At least that´s my hope, if the big upgrade finally performs they still can make this project work, but if the upgrade still has reliability issues or the power is still way down the competition, it will be their harakiri, so they need to be sure about the upgrade before introducing it

Probably this is only the reality twist from an incorregible optimistic, but I still keep my hopes until the big upgrade [-o<
I guess you are right. This update may be Honda´s last chance and it will mark what Alonso does in 2018. So I am sure that they will wait until they think the update is ready. But once it is ready, will it be enough good? that´s the big question.

bauc

I'm supporting Mclaren for 20+ years now, I'm always optimistic and trying to stay positive no matter what. However I must admit the last 2 years were tough as hell but I ''knew'' that TIME is the only nemesis for Honda and that they will eventually, by season 3 get there or be there about. But the start of this season testing was a dagger in the heart for me, and everything since has been one huge nightmare we cant seem to wake up from, and the last news that the new update is postponed indefinitely just shows that Honda is truly lost. Yes, maybe this time they want to double -triple check everything and to do actual testing before they bring the update on the car, but not to have a clear schedule or target just tells me that they:

1. Do not know what to expect or are not sure where to go next with the design.
2. Can not foresee what problems might occur and where.
3. Can not tell if they will be able to provide decent fix for the problems once found and how long that will take to implement.
4 Can not guarantee reliability of the new unit and they do not have time schedule on when and how they will be able to confirm the same.

I might be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but at this moment this is just what I think of the hole Mclaren - Honda saga.
Now Mclaren is not a flower to keep either, but at least you can predict more or less where the problems are with the chassis and how to fix/improve them, but in the same time I must give credit to them as I think they have build the best chassis since 2011/2012.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

etusch

Did hasegawa san made explenation about engine or speculating just a rumor. Still we have nothing to think different from that if update postphoned it will come for next. At the end we will see it second half of season

ZakB
ZakB

etusch wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 09:54
Did hasegawa san made explenation about engine or speculating just a rumor. Still we have nothing to think different from that if update postphoned it will come for next. At the end we will see it second half of season
Even Zak Brown said that update was initially plannend for Canada. They don't even know when it comes. Everyone at McLaren is depressed, because there is no sign of any improvement at all.

mrluke
mrluke

Of their DNFs as many are down to car failures as engine failures. Sacking Honda isn't going to fix that.