2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:53
dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:46
SR71 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:31
PUs are detuned to a predefined mapping after each race weekend. Might only be a HP or two over all but still impactful on performance nonetheless.
If memory serves, Kimi had an updated power unit, and he was pretty far off the pace....
Kimi's car was severely damaged.

I think in race trim they are equal. If they weren't Ham would have easily overtook Vettel in Baku.
In qualy when they push the "magic" botton they are very ahead of Ferrari.

Hamilton was faster than Vettel though not with an enough difference to overtake him. Austria should give us a clearer picture if we have a normal race.

F1NAC

dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:46
SR71 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:31
PUs are detuned to a predefined mapping after each race weekend. Might only be a HP or two over all but still impactful on performance nonetheless.
If memory serves, Kimi had an updated power unit, and he was pretty far off the pace....
Are you sure that he has updated engine. He needed new one in bahrain. And updatedversion arrived in Spain on Vettels car

kaepernickus

Looks like a wet weekend coming up at the moment.

Vasconia

kaepernickus wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 09:23
http://i64.tinypic.com/2j26fsl.png

Wow! =D> =D>

Its the weather forecast reliable in your country?

ClarkBT11

Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 08:48
ClarkBT11 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:22
Can't wait for this weekend. Vettlel's public humiliation, "sorry for being a bad boy FIA said next time I'm definitely in trouble" and everyone rubbing the salt in his wounded ego. I wonder how many black flags we'll see with Vettel's face on it. Can Ferrari's reliability withstand the higher altitude, the turbo will be working harder for sure.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Everyone rubbing the salt in his wonded ego? ah come onnnnnnnnnnnnn

He has scaped from a further penalty, I think things have gone pretty well for him.
Yeah he's not going to be embarrassed at all, you don't think some of the drivers won't show him up in the press conference?

Oh you agree he disserved another penalty.

rscsr

Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 09:33
kaepernickus wrote:

Wow! =D> =D>

it usually is

Vasconia

ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:34
Vasconia wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:22
Can't wait for this weekend. Vettlel's public humiliation, "sorry for being a bad boy FIA said next time I'm definitely in trouble" and everyone rubbing the salt in his wounded ego. I wonder how many black flags we'll see with Vettel's face on it. Can Ferrari's reliability withstand the higher altitude, the turbo will be working harder for sure.

He has scaped from a further penalty, I think things have gone pretty well for him.

Yeah he's not going to be embarrassed at all, you don't think some of the drivers won't show him up in the press conference?

I don´t think drivers will say something new. One thing is to disagree with others and other to feel embarrased by others.

Anyway, to apologize publicly won´t make Vettel´s pride happy, that´s for sure.

I have would applied a harder penatly but not a DNF like many wanted here.

ClarkBT11

Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:44
ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:34
Vasconia wrote:

I don´t think drivers will say something new. One thing is to disagree with others and other to feel embarrased by others.

Anyway, to apologize publicly won´t make Vettel´s pride happy, that´s for sure.

I have would applied a harder penatly but not a DNF like many wanted here.
It's put FIA in a worse light that's twice they've said next time your in trouble. Pastor received a five grid penalty as well as a 10 second penalty for causing a collision, maybe that would of been the right decision.

Who's good in the wet this year? We've only had one session wet in a weekend so not everyone was bothered to go out because it wasn't representable for qualy or race. Verstappen has been very confident this year and is one of the best in the rain, another Redbull victory on the cards?

Vasconia

ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:05

It's put FIA in a worse light that's twice they've said next time your in trouble. Pastor received a five grid penalty as well as a 10 second penalty for causing a collision, maybe that would of been the right decision.

Who's good in the wet this year? We've only had one session wet in a weekend so not everyone was bothered to go out because it wasn't representable for qualy or race. Verstappen has been very confident this year and is one of the best in the rain, another Redbull victory on the cards?
Yeah, I think this could habe been an appropiate penalty.

Back to Austria, Ferrari should be strong due to their high downforce. Vettel is usually good on the rain, Hamilton too and Vestappen should be fast as well.

But it will be interesting to see if Mercedes is as fast as usually is.

Anyone expecting a disaster for Williams? Massa hasn´t been good when it rains(great exception was Brazil 08 tough) and Williams has been pretty weak in the last seasons when there was a wet race. So... :mrgreen:

iotar__

ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:05

About Maldo penalty comparison: apples to oranges on two levels, they basically don't give penalties in '17, Sainz for something worse (than Maldo) got 3 places grid, use that as a comparison if you want to make one. Do you or is it about the biggest extra penalty?

Rain forecast = here comes my driver is the bestest in the wet and Massa isn't. I need to find a handy list of bad wet races of certain popular driver that includes above mentioned Brazil, crane, gravel trap etc ;-).

More interesting is who'd benefit from rainy weekend, judging by China perhaps it would be less favourable for Ferrari (tyres?). On the other hand if they're affected by a ban of oil engine tricks (one lap) it might be the opposite. I wouldn't mind a chaotic race.

vas_04614
vas_04614

rscsr wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:42
Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 09:33
kaepernickus wrote:

Wow! =D> =D>

it usually is
Hopefully it's not a full wet weekend, as there won't be much running until qualifying.

NathanOlder

Yeah. Dry friday and Sat. Wet on sunday. We need a race of chaos, its been a while since we had one.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

JonoNic

Will the lwb of the Petronas team be more of a benefit in this wet race? I guess it should be more stable through the faster corners.
Always find the gap then use it.

F1Arg
F1Arg

godlameroso wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 14:10
It's a software package that takes aggregate data from a variety of sources, both real time and historical. So yes part of it is ECFS and GFS and other models but there's more to it. Local weather stations, historical trends, both yearly and monthly, topography, vegetation density, even space weather plays a role.

No matter how advanced a model is, it's still just a guess, some guesses are better than others because they account for more variables, but it's guessing non the less.

Ok less chance of Sunday rain, Friday afternoon session could get rain towards the end.
As long as people take it in a deterministic way, it'll always be wrong. The challenge is to reduce standard dev

Phil

Will wet be bad for Mercedes as it will make it more difficult to get heat in the tires?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter