2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

He did.

“It was the wrong move, wrong decision, it was the wrong move to drive alongside him and hit his tyre,” said Vettel.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-h ... on-927190/

GoranF1
GoranF1

So both Vettel and Hamilton admited today that they are afraid of Alonso trashinig them as a teammate.

At least they are honest about something.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

aral
aral

Once again the thread has gone way off topic. Fanboyism has no place here. And talk about the situation between Hamilton and Vettel can be discussed on the several threads devoted to that topic
This topic is about the Austrian GP.

giantfan10
giantfan10

aral wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 19:41
Once again the thread has gone way off topic. Fanboyism has no place here. And talk about the situation between Hamilton and Vettel can be discussed on the several threads devoted to that topic
Thank you Thank you Thank you.

TAG

aral wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 19:41
The primary battlegro... erm, I mean thread for that was closed. Does today's driver's conference present enough of an incentive to open it back up so we can keep it out of the race threads?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

aral
aral

OK, it was closed...but that was for a reason ! No need to have it resurrected on this thread.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Or, how about, we just dont discuss it as it's discussed to death and it's really just poking a dead horse.
the press conference didn't have anything more to add, it's in the past, done for, end of story.
opinions on the matter dont really matter anymore anyway, not that they ever mattered, we're 2 weeks further, new GP weekend, how about we focus on that.
we can dig up that Lewis-Rosberg collision incident last year too and poke that a bit more too. Or whilst at poking at corpses, how about the Schumacher-Hill incident?
Yeah, let's just leave it at what it was as that's how it goes and done and dusted.

This is after all the Austrian GP thread, not the Baku one.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

What happened in Baku?

1st
Who's going to breakdown first tomorrow? My bet is Palmer first lap.

2nd
How far can Alonso throw his headrest? I think he'll clear the front wing this time.

Artur Craft

Phil wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 11:04
IMO that conclusion only holds true if the PU was in fact inferior. Ringo has been arguing for months that Ferrari have matched Mercedes (except for perhaps in qualifying) and the coincidence with the 2nd oil tank is too big to ignore. Then there are also the factor of the tires. The tires may be a bigger factor in slower corners (mechanical grip being key there), but don't underestimate the effect of not getting tires into the correct temperature range. Tires outside their ideal range will lead to less grip which will also have an effect on the cars performance through fast corners. In other words, you could have the car with the most efficient and effective downforce, but if the tires are not in the correct range, another car with less downforce could still achieve higher cornering speeds.
The points that you make there, and in the rest of your post, are entirely correct. Indeed, tyres out of their ideal working temperature will lead to less grip anywhere. The extra weight of a car is a minor effect, though, because it means Mercedes have/had less ballast to play with, in order to balance the car, but that will affect the handling and the subsequent effect on the overall grip of the car will be smaller than, say, the tyre factor. Unless they had a car over the min weight, then, that would be around 0.3s for an extra 10kg.

I didn't see Ringo's reasoning to support the claim that Ferrari's PU is/was on par with Mercedes' and I will return to that a little bit later because I believe otherwise.
Juzh wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 13:05
And why would anyone believe him, especially after baku?
Yes. Imho there is plenty of evidence out there of the contrary and, when I have time, I'll look for them and share it here.

About the actual Austrian GP, I think Mercedes will once again play it cool on the FPs and unleash their power on Q3 with Lewis getting another confortable pole

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 17:18
Multi21 wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 16:49
I don't buy the water under the bridge claim from both drivers. And I also don't think Seb will refrain from having another outburst. As for the race this weekend, any news on the promised rain??
No rain it looks like, very warm Sunday though.
What? weather predictions suck, :| :| :| :| :| :|

I really wanted to enjoy a wet race, I guess I shoud wait until Silverstone or Hungary, with some luck.

F1NAC

Vasconia wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 08:20
godlameroso wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 17:18
Multi21 wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 16:49
I don't buy the water under the bridge claim from both drivers. And I also don't think Seb will refrain from having another outburst. As for the race this weekend, any news on the promised rain??
No rain it looks like, very warm Sunday though.
What? weather predictions suck, :| :| :| :| :| :|

I really wanted to enjoy a wet race, I guess I shoud wait until Silverstone or Hungary, with some luck.
you just like watching Mercedes AMG GTs huh?

NathanOlder

As long as its followed by a pair of W08's then that's fine by me
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

F1NAC wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 08:43
[/quote]

What? :?:

SiLo

Vasconia wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 08:55
F1NAC wrote:
[/quote]
He's referring to the safety car, in light of it's extended use when it rains a little bit.
Felipe Baby!

F1NAC

Vasconia wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 08:55
F1NAC wrote:
[/quote]