2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

AnotherAlex wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:16
If the FIA have found significant oil residue in the exhaust of one of the teams they should say who and what action, if any, they have taken rather than add fuel to the rumours and finger pointing.
You were fine with the FiA's decision on Monday, but you don't like what they did here? Consistency is they key to good gravy.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

TAG wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:20
AnotherAlex wrote:
If the FIA have found significant oil residue in the exhaust of one of the teams they should say who and what action, if any, they have taken rather than add fuel to the rumours and finger pointing.
You were fine with the FiA's decision on Monday, but you don't like what they did here? Consistency is they key to good gravy.
Err, I have no idea what their decision was here.

They have asked Ferrari to remove/un-plumb their second oil tank, which is fine if they deem it to be contrary to the regulations. Presumably this is because though you can use two types of oil during a weekend, you can't do so at the same time :?: .

My criticism is of the oil residue rumours. It's fair to say that the rumours may have no basis in fact and be nothing to do with the FIA, but if they do come from the FIA I feel that they could and should have handled things better by being open about it.

TAG

AnotherAlex wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:35
TAG wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:20
AnotherAlex wrote:
Err, I have no idea what their decision was here.

They have asked Ferrari to remove/un-plumb their second oil tank, which is fine if they deem it to be contrary to the regulations. Presumably this is because though you can use two types of oil during a weekend, you can't do so at the same time :?: .

My criticism is of the oil residue rumours. It's fair to say that the rumours may have no basis in fact and be nothing to do with the FIA, but if they do come from the FIA I feel that they could and should have handled things better by being open about it.
Where there's smoke? :mrgreen: Maybe they they have a clause about not openly embarrassing Ferrari, who knows. Let's just look at the numbers going forward, everything else is sweet conjecture.

We'll find out more tomorrow.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

Hamilton set for grid penalty after gearbox change

So, I expect him to set his best time in Q2 on Super Softs and start the race on them!

Sieper

I expect him to set the best time in q3 and start from sixth.

Phil

Outch.

Best case if he gets pole, it will be starting from 6th, which would presumably split the RedBulls. Sounds like another difficult weekend ahead...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

matt_b
matt_b

I thought teams don't use race gearboxes on Fridays, if that's the case then that's another major set back, headrest and now gearbox with a driver on fire at the moment Mercedes really know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes #-o

siskue2005

Hopefully as predicted rain would produce good a race
if it rains Lewis can win the race

cplchanb
cplchanb

well they might be able to argue that the hit from vet in baku damaged the gearbox...

siskue2005

cplchanb wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 20:22
well they might be able to argue that the hit from vet in baku damaged the gearbox...
nobody is arguing such things, only Vettel fan boys posting such things :roll:
Last edited by siskue2005 on 07 Jul 2017, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

matt_b
matt_b

I get it now they reported it Thursday, surprised Lewis or Mercedes didn't say anything yesterday, ironically Seb had the same penalty last season. Good track for overtaking at least.

motobaleno

matt_b wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 19:51
I thought teams don't use race gearboxes on Fridays, if that's the case then that's another major set back, headrest and now gearbox with a driver on fire at the moment Mercedes really know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes #-o
gearboxes don't follow same rules as PU components: you can't change your gearbox for a fixed number of gp unless you DNF last one.
so also on fridays you have to use the race gearbox

SiLo

Shame for Lewis, been driving so well since Canada, lost out on a win in Baku because of the headrest issue and could potentially lose out again here because of a gearbox issue.

Still, it won't be the first time he's come back from some kind of adversity. I reckon if he will go on a streak soon and dominate.
Felipe Baby!

FelixAustria
FelixAustria

I'd like to inform that latest local weather forecast predicts that Sunday should start with lots of sunshine, but with early afternoon some rain is expected that may turn into thunderstorms with heavy showers locally. Usually they wouldn't last long, but can even contain hail. Wind from South should be pretty brisk as well. Maximum temperatures 27-33°.

For tomorrow risk for rain is very low, however not totally nil, so Q should be under warm and dry conditions.

ClarkBT11

He's lucky the gearbox decided to go now instead of the race, if you look at it glass half full.