2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

More then half full, they knew it already. He should still be easily able to come in 2nd and if Vettel runs into any problem the win is his to take. The race pace today was more then excellent.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I think Lewis won't go all-out on the qually actually, i think they'll need Bottas to do that , and to save Lewis' engine. If you're gonna take a penalty anyway, don't risk screwing things up by pushing it knowing the restrictions. Getting from P6 or P7 from the start doesn't really amount to that much anyway.

Probable grid Austria:

P1 ) Bottas
P2 ) Vettel
P3) Verstappen
P4) Ricciardo
P5) Raikkonen
P6) Perez
P7) Hamilton

He'll get Perez and Raikkonen from the start without too much effort. It becomes tricky when he gets into RedBull territory. Bottas either will spear away or create a wake to slow the Ferrari down. But that RedBull wedge will appear either way, P6 or P7 from the start won't do much.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

Hamilton pole by 3 tenths that's my prediction.

Shrieker

So that hands another easy 25 to Vettel...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mandrake
Mandrake

Shrieker wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 23:37
So that hands another easy 25 to Vettel...
Don't say that, there is still Max Verstappen to ruin others' races....

Phil

Pressure will be on Bottas to perform. Mercedes will expect him to.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ClarkBT11

The perfect chance for Bottas to show he's got the minerals for a good performance. I hope for his own career he does.

iotar__

Phil wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 00:12
Pressure will be on Bottas to perform. Mercedes will expect him to.
- Slowing down and creating wake for cars following him ;-) ? This master tactician plan didn't include DRS factor.

- That's the rub, you can't turn on and off performance, you either run one driver team as Mercedes is doing now or bet on both (more or less) like in previous years. It's easier to pull off great laps with no competition.

- As for "pressure" I thought he was fine in Monaco when Hamilton wasn't there, I doubt repeat would be easy since as we know Merc diligently worked on "set up" to avoid problems like that. The only pressure on Bottas now is not to finish in front of Hamilton.

- BTW nice circle of Austrian GP history. Once you gain from gearbox penalties ('16) once you lose.

Multi21

The Redbulls will probably be a hassle to pass early on, especially VES and his defending on the brakes. If not for a mid race SC I don't see Lewis making up the 15-20secs he will have lost to VET BOT and possibly even RAI if he turns up in qualifying. I think p3.

ClarkBT11

iotar__ wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 01:28

You missed Bottas's main mission, to ruin Kimi's race again and finish on the podium :P

godlameroso

What are the chances of a SC? If it happens at all it'll be during the start.
Saishū kōnā

ClarkBT11

There's been quite abit of conflict in this year's​ championship. Probably a good chance then. How many were there last year was it just Vettel's blow out causing a safety car.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 19:39
Hamilton set for grid penalty after gearbox change

So, I expect him to set his best time in Q2 on Super Softs and start the race on them!
That would be the smart move, go long in the first stint, but it will probly only be a 1 stop.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

motobaleno wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 21:01
matt_b wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 19:51
I thought teams don't use race gearboxes on Fridays, if that's the case then that's another major set back, headrest and now gearbox with a driver on fire at the moment Mercedes really know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes #-o
gearboxes don't follow same rules as PU components: you can't change your gearbox for a fixed number of gp unless you DNF last one.
so also on fridays you have to use the race gearbox
They don't have to use the race gearbox on fridays, they are permitted to use old used gearboxes on fridays without penalty.

Artur Craft

Santozini wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 13:50
Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 12:56
Hamilton FP1 new record lap onboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K2bm3LhLxY

Verstappen vs Hamilton FP1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93n3POEsS4
The Redbull seems to carry more speed through the corners, especially the fast ones
Red Bull's problems has always been the engine/PU, since 2014, actually. Horner said they knew they would suffer on these last 3 tracks(Montreal, Baku and Austria). He even joked that they asked Dietrich to add a few corners so that it wouldn't be a power track anymore.

Renault's doesn't want to use more than 4 PUs in the season so they say they will wait until Silverstone or Hungary to introduce a few new things on the new PUs ( the whatever little performance increase will mostly come from pushing the components harder rather than new game-changing hardware being introduced) now that they've reached the desired reliability on the dyno. Don't expect miracles, though, because this is Renault that we're talking about. Red Bull will do better on those tracks mainly because of their aero and power being relatively less important there.

About Austria, Ricciardo kind of confirmed the impression that I had, while watching the FPs, that the softest tyres might not be the best ones for the race, this time.