2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
motobaleno

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 03:22
motobaleno wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 21:01
matt_b wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 19:51
I thought teams don't use race gearboxes on Fridays, if that's the case then that's another major set back, headrest and now gearbox with a driver on fire at the moment Mercedes really know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes #-o
gearboxes don't follow same rules as PU components: you can't change your gearbox for a fixed number of gp unless you DNF last one.
so also on fridays you have to use the race gearbox
They don't have to use the race gearbox on fridays, they are permitted to use old used gearboxes on fridays without penalty.
did not know that, thank you. but this means that mercedes made a mistake? and not a small one I would say...

matt_b
matt_b

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
motobaleno wrote:
matt_b wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 19:51
I thought teams don't use race gearboxes on Fridays, if that's the case then that's another major set back, headrest and now gearbox with a driver on fire at the moment Mercedes really know how to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes #-o
gearboxes don't follow same rules as PU components: you can't change your gearbox for a fixed number of gp unless you DNF last one.
They don't have to use the race gearbox on fridays, they are permitted to use old used gearboxes on fridays without penalty.
Thanks for that so it only did 2 race weekends (Canada, Baku) of the 6. I can see why they're replacing immediately on a track you overtake on and where they have strong pace, risking it would only lead to a DNF or a penalty at one of the next 4 races anyway.

seventhsin

Lewis right front brake disc just detonated on track, he limped it back to the garage, mechanics removed the wheel and the outer cake tin was gone, no visible brake disc and an empty caliper.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Juzh

Best sectors:

Speed traps:

If ferrari can actually tople mercedes in qualifying.... well, colour me impressed.

matt_b
matt_b

Juzh wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 12:17

If ferrari can actually tople mercedes in qualifying.... well, colour me impressed.
Least they will earn pole outright rather than inheriting it through a grid penalty, on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Bottas hits that magic button in Q3 and takes pole.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

motobaleno wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 09:12
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
motobaleno wrote:

did not know that, thank you. but this means that mercedes made a mistake? and not a small one I would say...
What mistake are you claiming they made? They have routine inspections of all the parts after each race, found a fault in the transmission and decided it would be better to suffer the 5 grid position penalty and change it for Austria rather than risk a possible DNF from that broken/faulty part.

Chene_Mostert

seventhsin wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 12:01
Lewis right front brake disc just detonated on track, he limped it back to the garage, mechanics removed the wheel and the outer cake tin was gone, no visible brake disc and an empty caliper.
No need to be so dramatic.
The brake did not detonate, there was no flame and no secondary explosion.
The brake disk only disintegrated.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

iotar__

matt_b wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 12:23
Juzh wrote:

Least they will earn pole outright rather than inheriting it through a grid penalty, on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Bottas hits that magic button in Q3 and takes pole.
- It's one of those soft impressions but Merc Q3 performance tends to be scaled down compared to qualifying.
- Ferrari close to Merc wouldn't be shocking but very much predicted :D

- do you think Hamilton "inherited" a pole in Spain after engine failure, change to old one and missed Q3 Belittling other before anything happens just in case. Either "inheriting" or "magic button" if it's not my favourite driver.
- I wonder if media and audience are cackling at brake issues and blaming the driver.

matt_b
matt_b

iotar__ wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 12:59
matt_b wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 12:23
Juzh wrote:

- It's one of those soft impressions but Merc Q3 performance tends to be scaled down compared to qualifying.
- Ferrari close to Merc wouldn't be shocking but very much predicted :D

- do you think Hamilton "inherited" a pole in Spain after engine failure, change to old one and missed Q3 Belittling other before anything happens just in case. Either "inheriting" or "magic button" if it's not my favourite driver.
- I wonder if media and audience are cackling at brake issues and blaming the driver.
Firstly both Mercedes drivers sometimes look like they have a bit of extra performance in Q3 sometimes referred as the magic button. Secondly if Seb grabbed pole in Spain and then got demoted 5 places then yes the driver in P2 has 'inherited' pole, it just leaves a sour taste when it comes to pole achievements regardless of which driver just like if Seb needed to take a 5th MGU-H or Turbo and was fastest in Q3.

santos
santos

Well done Charlie... does kerbs are destroying cars. Really safe...

Redragon

great time by Alo with the old spec engine

Shakeman

Long first stint for HAM in the race then.

NathanOlder

Q2 : Lewis currently faster than Ferrari while on the slower tyre. Q3 looks good for Merc.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Any chance of a 1.03.xxx
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC