Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

It is now said that difference between Spec2 and spec3 is 10 hp...

There is a saying in my country, it goes like this..."ko tu koga jebe"
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Carmack

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 14:13

:D

RedNEO

GoranF1 wrote:

They just rated my post about it negatively suspiciously after that qualifying performance from the new spec. Coincidence?

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:

I think my assumption was true that 30 hp come by new Turbo, new fuel and other new parts together. So half or maybe more than half was there in Baku and remained half or less than half here.

ZakB
ZakB

etusch wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 14:53
GoranF1 wrote:

I think my assumption was true that 30 hp come by new Turbo, new fuel and other new parts together. So half or maybe more than half was there in Baku and remained half or less than half here.
No it's not, not even close.

etusch

ZakB wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 15:28
etusch wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

I remember that Bullier said it is a bit more than 20. So there is at least 20 hp. It is obvious that Alo could be better with that PU. Maybe still stuck in Q2 but he could be better. New turbo and fuel used at bakü. So there must be improvement there too. So what is not even close ?

RedNEO

etusch wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 16:15
ZakB wrote:
etusch wrote:

I remember that Bullier said it is a bit more than 20. So there is at least 20 hp. It is obvious that Alo could be better with that PU. Maybe still stuck in Q2 but he could be better. New turbo and fuel used at bakü. So there must be improvement there too. So what is not even close ?

the speed traps tell a different story

wuzak
wuzak

etusch wrote:
ZakB wrote:
etusch wrote:

That's nice. An extra 10-20hp.

Meanwhile Haas have just debuted the next Ferrari engine spec. Some "journalists" spread the rumour that the gain was 50hp!

But others say the extra power is around 10hp or so from spec 2, but 50hp above the beginning of the season.

So, Honda have been busting their gut to get that update, while Ferrari casually drop heir new spec into their 2nd team and get a similar gain!

ZakB
ZakB

etusch wrote:
ZakB wrote:
etusch wrote:

He never said that, stop making stuff up.

loner

its like Honda's mgu-h and turbo are built in as a one unit or piece for some packaging benefits over Mercedes, they are relentlessly going for a smaller PU trying to implement some extra small different things like size and the rumored(by Wazari) higher revv with less consumption who knows what else they are trying about the pre-chamber technology
this PU is far away from being finished work, iam not expecting the true color of it before Suzuka gp perhaps ...
i feel this PU actualy will be amazing for 2018, if it deliver the current development figures they told mclaren about
i assume mclaren will be happy regardless being suspicious about Honda capability to achieve the promised PU we are all waiting for :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
para bellum.

GoranF1
GoranF1

ZakB wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 17:05
etusch wrote:
ZakB wrote:

He did....jurnalist asked him how much is the update 10,20hp....he said a little more than that.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 17:14
ZakB wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 17:05
etusch wrote:

He did....jurnalist asked him how much is the update 10,20hp....he said a little more than that.
I think they are not reading if it is not about merc PU :D

Wazari

I have been getting many questions on why I called this upgrade "2.5" and Hasegawa-san now "3.0". I think because it's less confusing to the public and media to use round numbers. I used the term "2.5" because the full upgrade as it was meant to be has not been implemented. I am surprised on how the new components are being introduced but those decisions are way above my former pay-grade. With the new ICE components that were introduced, fuel efficiency rather than peak power IMO will see the biggest improvement for now. It seems that many are focused, interested in peak power and I'm guessing that the current "3.0" is good for 15 - 20 HP increase. I am surprised that the ICE upgrade was introduced so early without the new turbine, compressor and most importantly camshaft profiles that were designed for it. I am truly puzzled with this order of introduction.

Again I apologize for not answering PM's individually. I have a lot of things going on right now. Also I will not address questions as to why myself or former colleagues are morons, incompetent, etc. I was also asked by one on why I was impotent. That I am not, at least not yet.... 8)
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

PlatinumZealot

Thanks Wazari. If you can, i am interested in the TJI torches. How much of them are Honda design and how much are outsourced?
Is this area a heavy area of study at Honda?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Wazari

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 18:03
Thanks Wazari. If you can, i am interested in the TJI torches. How much of them are Honda design and how much are outsourced?
Is this area a heavy area of study at Honda?
Trying to figure out how to correctly answer this. I am not fond of term "TJI" but more combustion process. CP is basically all Honda's design but with heavy input from "outside" sources. Yes, this a very heavy study area as this technology can relatively easily be transferred to road cars as long as economically feasible.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro