Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Thanks Wazari, we hope by current rate of development Honda can catch up whit Mercedes by 8th or 9th year of their 10 year contract whit Mclaren.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

In their 3rd year of development Honda is 90-100hp down on Mercedes...can not hold 2 races whit same MGU-H and then they introduce new spec which can not hold for 2 Free practices.....and then they want Alonso out for being to critic of them.

Fantastic.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 18:40
In their 3rd year of development Honda is 90-100hp down on Mercedes...can not hold 2 races whit same MGU-H and then they introduce new spec which can not hold for 2 Free practices.....and then they want Alonso out for being to critic of them.

Fantastic.
You believe those rumors that they they want Alo out? I don't. Alo has been alot nicer this weekend though.

Don't forget they moved the compressor. The MGU-H is taking the extra beating being handed out for having a longer distance between the turbine and the compressor.
Last edited by diffuser on 08 Jul 2017, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 18:52
GoranF1 wrote:

Fantastic.
You believe those rumors that they they want Alo out? I don't.

Don't forget they moved the compressor. The MGU-H is taking the extra beating being handed out for having a longer distance between the turbine and the compressor.
I agree mate....its juts that in 3rd year of development there is no more room for excuses by Honda.
They are not doing a good job.

PlatinumZealot

Well if this update is more about fuel efficiency more than power let's see if vandoorne can finish the race without turning down the huge amount that they used to before.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bigblue

Reliability problems for a while now have mostly been MGU-H problems. Any solution coming ? Seems so far it's been "sticking plaster" kind of improvements - try to work around more fundamental problems (with only a little success) - or so I imagine. So, any more significant fix on the way, or still in the investigation phase ?

diffuser

They seem to know what to look for now. it's a few times, they catch it before it happens.

amho

I've seen speed trap data and it seems that spec 2.5 doesn't give Vandorne any speed advantage over spec 2.0 although I don't know about their down force level.
After checking Alonso's laptimes in late stages of Bako gp I estimate that he lost 17 sec for fuel saving. hopefully this new update with focus on fuel efficiency at least will address the mentioned issue.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

tom101
tom101

It's sad to remember that mgu H is still being used because of Honda.

Before 2016 season, Merc, Ferrari & Renault agreed to suppress it. But Honda voted against.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 18:57
diffuser wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 18:52
GoranF1 wrote:

Fantastic.
You believe those rumors that they they want Alo out? I don't.

I agree mate....its juts that in 3rd year of development there is no more room for excuses by Honda.
They are not doing a good job.
They changed their "size zero" engine design after 2 years because it didn't work, this "new" design should be much better for the future.

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 19:43
Well if this update is more about fuel efficiency more than power let's see if vandoorne can finish the race without turning down the huge amount that they used to before.
Agreed, I think the car is reasonable in the race, it just lacks endurance to run at it's optimum setting. Very reminiscent of 2015 where the car would be able to tangle with the midfield until they ran out of battery power. If this improves it will be a decent step forward, I imagine efficiency and power will all come together slowly but surely.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Are they not two sides to the same coin?

More power gives you more fuel efficiency because you are not using any more fuel but you are going faster.

PlatinumZealot

Peak power numbers is what people like to look at so it easy to forget about the rest of the curve and all the other device interplays. Power is nothing without control they say... So i am assuming that they can now run the same power for longer bearing in mind they had to turn down for reliability from the very begining and also MGUH generation was not that great.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

kaepernickus

wuzak wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 03:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:

More power gives you more fuel efficiency because you are not using any more fuel but you are going faster.
That's only one option.
You could also lower fuel consumption while keeping power output about the same.
Doesn't help that much with one lap, but can be very good for race distance as you can run the higher power modes for a longer time.

henry

kaepernickus wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 06:46
wuzak wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 03:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:

That's only one option.
You could also lower fuel consumption while keeping power output about the same.
Doesn't help that much with one lap, but can be very good for race distance as you can run the higher power modes for a longer time.
I genuinely don't understand how this works.

I can only think of two ways to reduce power.

1. Run a lower fuel rate than is allowed.

2. Run the allowed fuel rate with lower efficiency.

What am I missing?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus