2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Yusuke Hasegawa says Honda will go back to their Sakura base in Japan in order to sort the MGU-H issues that affected the United States Grand Prix for the McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team.

Stoffel Vandoorne was the first to experience the trouble early in the weekend, while a further engine change on Sunday morning leaving him starting from the back of the grid, while Fernando Alonso’s race was ended with a MGU-H problem whilst on course for a strong seventh place finish.

Hasegawa, the Head of Honda’s F1 Project and Executive Chief Engineer, admitted it was a frustrating end to a tough weekend for everyone at McLaren and Honda, but they hope a fix can be found ahead of the Mexican Grand Prix this weekend.
Same old issues

dren

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 00:15
dren wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 13:49
diffuser wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 05:30

I don't have a problem with Alonzo parking it when he's running 15th and has no chance of moving forward and has put in 75% of the race.
I'd have a problem paying him for not completing 25% of a race.
But no problem with the Honda PU not completing even that much of several races??
Considering Honda is paying Mclaren to be a main sponsor plus giving Mclaren the PUs, no.
Honda!

HPD

loner wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 21:25
honda is a lost case its over hasegawa said they will surpass Renault before the end of 2017 did you guys not see Verstappen start from 16 and almost got a podium while ALO start 8 and like an old man coughing couldn't advance over a Force India before the powerunit like the last 36 months just broke down.
perhaps they will come good after 2021 i respect their efforts but i disrespect lies and fake promises.
Do you say that when Mclaren gets to Red Bull, the Honda PU will be on the same level as the Renault PU?
How do you know that Mclaren's chassis is as good as Red Bull?
Sainz did not even try to beat Alonso in more than 30 laps, maybe he could not.

Honda has a magic button to qualify. Renault has not. (Words of Helmut Marko).
According to Hasegawa, Honda reaches the same level as the Renault, however, Red Bull is still within 1 second of us.

How is this possible?. Simple .. Honda and Mclaren have a lot of work to prove they are the best.

Horrible engine + Mediocre chassis = Mclaren Honda 2017

DFX
DFX

HPD wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 14:22
loner wrote:
honda is a lost case its over hasegawa said they will surpass Renault before the end of 2017 did you guys not see Verstappen start from 16 and almost got a podium while ALO start 8 and like an old man coughing couldn't advance over a Force India before the powerunit like the last 36 months just broke down.
perhaps they will come good after 2021 i respect their efforts but i disrespect lies and fake promises.
Do you say that when Mclaren gets to Red Bull, the Honda PU will be on the same level as the Renault PU?

According to Hasegawa, Honda reaches the same level as the Renault, however, Red Bull is still within 1 second of us.

How is this possible?. Simple .. Honda and Mclaren have a lot of work to prove they are the best.

Where did Hasegawa said Honda reaches the same level as the Renault PU?
He said that they were close, which is totally subjective. Close on what? Peak power? ICE output? How much? 5% is really close but is still +/- 45hp

Did you watch the data closely? Sainz was always entering the back straight between 0.6 and 0.9s behind, that difference would be nullified by the end of the straight prompting Alonso to take defensive positions. The only thing keeping Mclaren in front was the gap that they could pull in the fast corners.

I do not claim that Mclaren chassis is equal to RB, we dont have enough data to claim it but we dont know the sacrifices that Mclaren has to do to extract the maximum of the PU they have. This is no excuse, but the engine is not anywhere near the parity needed to compare aero devlopment between the two.

Stating that Mclaren and Honda have equal share of responsability for the performance is not even close to be true.

diffuser

Not sure why we still keep having all this mud slinging....

McHonda will be no more. So bury the hatchet for the last few races. After that the Honda fans will no longer have Alonzo or Mclaren chassis to complain about and the McLarens fans will no longer have Honda to complain about.

Lets try and keep it constructive till the end of the season!

loner

HPD wrote:
loner wrote:

honda will start 2018 season with spec 4 while mercedes will start with whats equal to spec 6 ferrari will start with whats equal with spec 5.9 renault 5.5 , STR first half of 2018 will be competing with sauber and honda will finish 2018 season with spec 4.9. the only hope for honda to be competitive is the new engine regulation 2021.
this the briefing of what gonna happen for dummies.
para bellum.

loner

HPD wrote:
1- Honda has a magic button to qualify. Renault has not. (Words of Helmut Marko).
2- According to Hasegawa, Honda reaches the same level as the Renault, however, Red Bull is still within 1 second of us.

3- Horrible engine + Mediocre chassis = Mclaren Honda 2017
1- so honda has qualy mode and Renault don't but still Sainz qualified ahead of ALO :lol:
2- so you do admit that hasegawa is telling lies no ?!! :mrgreen:
3 - nope
Last weekend’s Grand Prix in the United States saw McLaren introduce what must surely be the most sophisticated front wing layout seen this season…
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... -wing.html
surely who have such front wing have an idea to how to setup at least a decent chassis.
para bellum.

NathanOlder

loner wrote:
The thing is , in that situation The PU, The Chassis and The Driver are all better on the car with 33 on it. So it all adds up.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

etusch

For number 1 we can also say McLaren chassis worse than Renault. I think you just defend McLaren and say what needed to it.

makecry
makecry

etusch wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 21:40
For number 1 we can also say McLaren chassis worse than Renault. I think you just defend McLaren and say what needed to it.
WUT? Alonso lost almost 0.25second to Sainz just in the long straight. Gained all of it back in the slow twisty S3. I would like some of what you have been smoking.

loner

etusch wrote:
i don't give a fly about Mclaren never did never will, iam here for the technology and i defended honda alot but they don't respect the fans telling lies and fake promises its okey if they spend 5 years trying but just don't say things not true.
honda power unit not on par with Renault now let alone surpassing it.. spec 4 isn't finished yet its a development process perhaps they will reach it come the next winter test but the other manufacturers will be ahead like always because they have a whole year and a half in their bucket, honda won't be competitive before 2021 if any...
para bellum.

rogazilla
rogazilla

makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:14
etusch wrote:
WUT? Alonso lost almost 0.25second to Sainz just in the long straight. Gained all of it back in the slow twisty S3. I would like some of what you have been smoking.
First post... serious question:
I see this kind of comparison a lot. How do we know it is the drag that loses out on the straight? isn't aero a bigger factor at high speed? slow twisty also doesn't necessary explain it is all aero because engine torque, mechanical grip is at play more? It seems easy to look at that data and read it both ways depending on your narratives.

makecry
makecry

rogazilla wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:26
makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:14
etusch wrote:
First post... serious question:
I see this kind of comparison a lot. How do we know it is the drag that loses out on the straight? isn't aero a bigger factor at high speed? slow twisty also doesn't necessary explain it is all aero because engine torque, mechanical grip is at play more? It seems easy to look at that data and read it both ways depending on your narratives.

Obviously drag plays a huge role. McLaren lost 0.03s to Lewis from T3 to T9 in their Q3 lap. That's says a lot about a car with such power deficit and the car being 1.9 seconds down at the end of the lap. Another thing is as you said, mechanical grip plays a huge role in low speed corners and McLaren claws back quarter of a second in that period, which again bodes well for McLarn that they have good mechanical grip and low end torque yes.

IIRC Someone here or on AutoSport posted the time lost on the straight assuming the drag coefficient being the same between McLaren and RedBull using the difference in their top speed at the end of the straight at COTA and their results were very close to the time lost in real life. It's no news that Honda IS severely down on power and drag wont contribute to it being so low in speed traps ie usually last unless MCL32 is by far the draggiest car on the grid and by a huge margin.

rogazilla
rogazilla

makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:59
Obviously drag plays a huge role. McLaren lost 0.03s to Lewis from T3 to T9 in their Q3 lap...
Thank you for the explanation!

NathanOlder

Where did you get the info from. Id love to have a good look through it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC