2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

rogazilla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 01:48
makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:59
Obviously drag plays a huge role. McLaren lost 0.03s to Lewis from T3 to T9 in their Q3 lap...
Thank you for the explanation!
@makecry

Did you manage to find where you got the info from please.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Joseki
Joseki

Apparently Vandoorne is reverting to spec 3.7

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 19:01
rogazilla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 01:48
makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:59
Obviously drag plays a huge role. McLaren lost 0.03s to Lewis from T3 to T9 in their Q3 lap...
Thank you for the explanation!
@makecry

Did you manage to find where you got the info from please.
That's the downhill run from turn 1, it's flat out until turn 4, then it's just a matter of lifting and carrying momentum until you accelerate uphill. .1 going into the section from the downhill, another .1 from Hamilton, and another .1 leaving that section as it's uphill.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane
Chicane

Mclaren saw this coming because it is getting clearer than day light that the Honda f1 project is under resourced and lacks experience and know how in critical areas. There are neck deep in to this now and sadly most likely they will not reach an acceptable level of reliability for next year as well. The repetitive nature of failures is hard to miss. They are averaging two engines per Grandprix in Austin and here for Vandoorne. There is no way to sugar coat this. For a huge company like Honda their F1 come back reeks of unprofessional ism and shows basic lack of understanding towards what is necessary to get the job done. Speed traps are not the be all and end all but even without the potent Mercedes Qaulifying mode Hamilton was over 20kph faster than Alonso in that session.
Quickshifter

godlameroso

Things aren't as bad as they seem, Ferrari and Mercedes made huge strides over last year, and Renault and Honda didn't. Ferrari and Mercedes didn't make fundamental changes to their power units, they just evolved them. Renault went brand new and made gains over their already very good power unit from last year, but the teething issues hampered their development. The same thing for Honda except they were already severely behind, but they've made better progress than Renault has, Honda is the fastest developing power unit(it would have to with all the specs and penalties), on the current trajectory they should be on par by the start of 2019, and that's assuming that Mercedes makes similar gains year on year.
Saishū kōnā

loner

Joseki wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 19:15

will it make different ? its only less than 5 hp between 3.7 and 3.8 :lol:
para bellum.

etusch

loner wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 19:54
Joseki wrote:

If spec 3.7 and 3.8 have no power difference but 3.8 running whole race with lesser fuel save mode we can laugh at you because of what you laugh :wink:

etusch

Chicane wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 19:46
Mclaren saw this coming because it is getting clearer than day light that the Honda f1 project is under resourced and lacks experience and know how in critical areas. There are neck deep in to this now and sadly most likely they will not reach an acceptable level of reliability for next year as well. The repetitive nature of failures is hard to miss. They are averaging two engines per Grandprix in Austin and here for Vandoorne. There is no way to sugar coat this. For a huge company like Honda their F1 come back reeks of unprofessional ism and shows basic lack of understanding towards what is necessary to get the job done. Speed traps are not the be all and end all but even without the potent Mercedes Qaulifying mode Hamilton was over 20kph faster than Alonso in that session.
My opinion is Honda can bring reliability to acceptable level for next year. My concern about Honda is power.
I have a prediction for next year that manufacturers will choose to race with same engines this season from point of reliability and choose to take one penalty by finishing 4 engine. So they have better performance and one already known penalty. It seems good to me. Maybe I am wrong.

loner

etusch wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 20:13
loner wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 19:54
Joseki wrote:

If spec 3.7 and 3.8 have no power difference but 3.8 running whole race with lesser fuel save mode we can laugh at you because of what you laugh :wink:
it make no different SV stayed behind Stroll for ages in COTA , iam not the one who said i'll surpass renault before 2017 end neither me the one who said spec 4 is a pleasant surprise while in the real world honda development didn't reach the spec 4 output they claimed, every time some one from honda talk turn to be wishful thinking.
if only they stop blabing...
para bellum.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Yet nobody seems to realize that they simply ditched the last year's engine and came up with a total new one which they discovered had a issue in preseason testing.
the matter on which they've solved it and now have become able to 'play' in the field is mindblowing and impressive if you look at it objectively and from a distance,
ignoring the previous engines as that is how they're still judged, which is quite frankly, unfair.

If Mercedes decided this year that they go for a total new concept, and then discover they made an error, where would they be now? Renault?

But nobody is talking about that. Nobody is willing to look at that cold fact, and rather bash the shizzz out of Honda, which is rather unfair. Yes, their promises didn't deliver, ok , that be the darn truth though. Yet they've had a huge change, different boss, different engine, different approach, and all of it with just 1 team. 1!! All other manufacturers supply in total 3 teams. that's triple as much feedback and development ability. Honda had their hands tied to their back, and their feet, and could only use their mouth to operate this merry go round, whilst the entire world looking over their shoulder and saying they suck, and the weight of a sumo wrestler on their shoulders in the form of Mclaren itself.

Taking that into account actually portrays a very impressive job. Next year Honda can honestly be judged whether they're a failure or not. Or, coming out as an absolute hero. If they manage to shock the F1 world with a Toro Rosso podium , i guarantee that the next race, or the race afterwards, RedBull will get those engines and ToroRosso the Renaults, and we WILL see RB win gp's and potentially the championship.

And Mclaren will be the biggest loser of them all and frowned upon, with the biggest sadness of it all that Alonso will again somehow only be given rotten fruits after promising a basket of ripe tasty treats.

Nevertheless, i AM curious on what Mclaren-Renault partnership will mount to.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bigblue

New engine for Stoffel, lasts three laps in FP1. I guess it's possible the 'anomalies' on data are sensor issues, but I think that's a long shot.

I'm very understanding of the size of the task Honda have set themselves, but I genuinely don't understand this one, surely the assembled engine had a check on the dyno ? They must run full engines - with all ancillaries on the dyno, right ? They may as well run for 10 laps worth or so, even though it takes a bit of life out of the engine; it's better than seeing engines give up rapidly on-track. I actually hope it's an MGU-H issue again, as at least the rest of the package has been OK-ish reliability wise (albeit with a blip for MGU-K problems). No idea how this kind of 'almost instant failure' issue occurs.
Last edited by bigblue on 27 Oct 2017, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

VAN will have reverted to 3.7 because the spare engine is from existing pool and that isn't a 3.8 engine.

Both drivers have enough engines now to last rest of season without more intentional penalties.

604gtir
604gtir

its a PU replacement exercise this weekend, i do not envy the mechanics

DFX
DFX

Manoah2u wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 20:50
Yet nobody seems to realize that they simply ditched the last year's engine and came up with a total new one which they discovered had a issue in preseason testing.
the matter on which they've solved it and now have become able to 'play' in the field is mindblowing and impressive if you look at it objectively and from a distance,
ignoring the previous engines as that is how they're still judged, which is quite frankly, unfair.
But nobody is talking about that. Nobody is willing to look at that cold fact, and rather bash the shizzz out of Honda, which is rather unfair. Yes, their promises didn't deliver, ok , that be the darn truth though. Yet they've had a huge change, different boss, different engine, different approach, and all of it with just 1 team. 1!!
Taking that into account actually portrays a very impressive job. Next year Honda can honestly be judged whether they're a failure or not. Or, coming out as an absolute hero. If they manage to shock the F1 world with a Toro Rosso podium , i guarantee that the next race, or the race afterwards, RedBull will get those engines and ToroRosso the Renaults, and we WILL see RB win gp's and potentially the championship.

And Mclaren will be the biggest loser of them all and frowned upon, with the biggest sadness of it all that Alonso will again somehow only be given rotten fruits after promising a basket of ripe tasty treats.
Everyone knows and talks about that, that IS one of the problems, every year Honda started from scratch and they kept repeting the same mistakes.
The issue on pre-season was entirely their fault and is not excusable. Its no coincidence that we didnt saw something similar from the other manufacturers as you suggested, this shows how ill prepared Honda is or at least was for F1.

It really dont matter how they improved if the package that they presented on the first race couldnt even be called a F1 PU. It would be if they presented the actual spec PU on pre season and managed to close the gap from at least Renault. This is just heartbreaking, I know that Honda is working hard, but sadly it isnt enough

That's not going to happen mate, the only way Honda can push TR to a podium at this point is if they can produce a PU equal or better than Mercedes, which is highly unlikely.. which is also an understatment.
I dont even know how to comment on the suggestion of a PU swap mid season..

From a logical and analytical standpoint, Mclaren took that best option that they had to be at least able to compete with other teams.. The past 3 years we all feel like Mclaren is only doing in season testing and not racing.. I cant imagine how this weights for the team spirit but a surely can as a fan, it hurts, enough is enough.

etusch

DFX wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 21:44

Everyone knows and talks about that, that IS one of the problems, every year Honda started from scratch and they kept repeting the same mistakes.
The issue on pre-season was entirely their fault and is not excusable. Its no coincidence that we didnt saw something similar from the other manufacturers as you suggested, this shows how ill prepared Honda is or at least was for F1.

It really dont matter how they improved if the package that they presented on the first race couldnt even be called a F1 PU. It would be if they presented the actual spec PU on pre season and managed to close the gap from at least Renault. This is just heartbreaking, I know that Honda is working hard, but sadly it isnt enough

That's not going to happen mate, the only way Honda can push TR to a podium at this point is if they can produce a PU equal or better than Mercedes, which is highly unlikely.. which is also an understatment.
I dont even know how to comment on the suggestion of a PU swap mid season..

From a logical and analytical standpoint, Mclaren took that best option that they had to be at least able to compete with other teams.. The past 3 years we all feel like Mclaren is only doing in season testing and not racing.. I cant imagine how this weights for the team spirit but a surely can as a fan, it hurts, enough is enough.
Every year from scracht ? I think this is come from Alo's comment. And I think you keep this so serious that you say it is not an F1 engine. Let me guess. It is gp2 engine. Right ?