2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Redragon wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:45
Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:24
alonsofan wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 01:07
If Honda is better than Renault come 2018, it's either Ferrari or Merc for Fred come 2019, else Fred says goodbye to F1.
Why on earth will either of those teams hire him?

Both the teams you mentioned have already an A-List driver and for the second seats they're grooming Ocon and Leclerc. Also, there's no reason for Ferrari to hire someone who damaged their brand so much.
If Alonso damaged so much Ferrari why the Italian fans want him back. At least he wasn't chrasing his car against others in an unprofessional fustration manner eg Baku 2017!
I haven't read one quote anywhere from the Scuderia that they're courting Alonso. To say the 'Italians' want him back is highly generic and not something I want to indulge in. Your Baku jibe is even more futile as it has nothing to do with the contract situations. If Ferrari were so 'frustrated' with the 'unprofessionalism' of their driver, they wouldn't have offered him a contract renewal of 3 years.

Also, just going by history and in fact the current situation at McLaren, Alonso has a lasting and negative impact on teams. The team he's at has been blackmailed by him. Remember? But, you won't remember that. You only remember tales of 'professionalism.'
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Alonso Fan

Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:50
Redragon wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:24

Why on earth will either of those teams hire him?

Both the teams you mentioned have already an A-List driver and for the second seats they're grooming Ocon and Leclerc. Also, there's no reason for Ferrari to hire someone who damaged their brand so much.
If Alonso damaged so much Ferrari why the Italian fans want him back. At least he wasn't chrasing his car against others in an unprofessional fustration manner eg Baku 2017!
I haven't read one quote anywhere from the Scuderia that they're courting Alonso. To say the 'Italians' want him back is highly generic and not something I want to indulge in. Your Baku jibe is even more futile as it has nothing to do with the contract situations. If Ferrari were so 'frustrated' with the 'unprofessionalism' of their driver, they wouldn't have offered him a contract renewal of 3 years.

Also, just going by history and in fact the current situation at McLaren, Alonso has a lasting and negative impact on teams. The team he's at has been blackmailed by him. Remember? But, you won't remember that. You only remember tales of 'professionalism.'
The current situation at mclaren is now due to Alonso? He has had a negative impact which means they lack horsepower? What are you smoking?

Also 2007 was 10 years ago and you inaccurately describe that too
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Schuttelberg

Alonso Fan wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 11:29
Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:50
Redragon wrote:

The current situation at mclaren is now due to Alonso? He has had a negative impact which means they lack horsepower? What are you smoking?

Also 2007 was 10 years ago and you inaccurately describe that too
This thread is not about Alonso and his teams. I will just leave it at the fact that each time Alonso has been at a team, someone has been at fault apart from him. No wonder his peers are racking up wins and titles and are genuine ambassadors of their teams and brands. I will leave it at that.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

mclaren111

Alonso:
“We lacked a little bit of straight-line speed to attack or defend,
so we were stuck behind a Sauber for half of the race
and then we could not pass Magnussen for many laps.
Says it all :( :? :(

HPD

Hasegawa: "I thought that the engine output would drop considerably, but in fact it was feeling that I was rather not falling down. Apart from the Mercedes AMG, I think that the fighting power was high here compared to Renault."
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2017 ... ports-moto
For me everything is configuration.

You can have more speed in the straights, but you will have to penalize in the curves.
Or the favorite option of Mclaren: Penalize in the final speed and show off in the curves

SameSame
SameSame

HPD wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 13:25
Hasegawa: "I thought that the engine output would drop considerably, but in fact it was feeling that I was rather not falling down. Apart from the Mercedes AMG, I think that the fighting power was high here compared to Renault."

You can have more speed in the straights, but you will have to penalize in the curves.
Or the favorite option of Mclaren: Penalize in the final speed and show off in the curves
You do realize that in Mexico teams were running Monaco configuration (i.e. the maximum levels of downforce that they have)? It appears that McLaren are up there with the big dogs in terms of maximum downforce; thus validating the chassis work. I highly doubt their car has by a mile the most drag on the grid as a reason for their poor top speed.

mrluke
mrluke

SameSame wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 13:41
HPD wrote:

You do realize that in Mexico teams were running Monaco configuration (i.e. the maximum levels of downforce that they have)? It appears that McLaren are up there with the big dogs in terms of maximum downforce; thus validating the chassis work. I highly doubt their car has by a mile the most drag on the grid as a reason for their poor top speed.
Alonso had the same top speed as Sainz and was 3km/h faster than Verstappen.

In maximum down force config Mclaren appears to run a similar level of drag to the other teams.

I think its fair to say that there was little difference between Honda and Renault at this race.

Mclaren were still 1.2s behind RBR in qualy.

etusch

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 12:48
Alonso:
“We lacked a little bit of straight-line speed to attack or defend,
so we were stuck behind a Sauber for half of the race
and then we could not pass Magnussen for many laps.
Says it all :( :? :(
For sure it's.
but in this track for most powerful car it took a while to overtake weakest engine

SameSame
SameSame

mrluke wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 14:20
SameSame wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 13:41
HPD wrote:

Alonso had the same top speed as Sainz and was 3km/h faster than Verstappen.

In maximum down force config Mclaren appears to run a similar level of drag to the other teams.

I think its fair to say that there was little difference between Honda and Renault at this race.

Mclaren were still 1.2s behind RBR in qualy.
I cannot find the speed trap information you are referring to but I assume you are referring to the race. Max was out in front and never had a tow or DRS; plus he turned the PU down to protect it early on as mentioned by Horner post race. Sainz retired and also had PU issues.

Let's look at qualifying as a more accurate picture (even with the tow Vandoorne gave Alonso).

Intermediate 1:
  • Red Bulls tied on 318.3 km/h and Stoffel and Alonso last and second last at 311.2 and 312.1 respectively.
Intermediate 2:
  • Ricciardo 291.5 and Max 292.6; and Stoffel and Alonso last and second last at 282.6 and 284.6 respectively.
Finish line:
  • Ricciardo 259.3 and Max 259.9; and Alonso 256.7 with Stoffel last at 253.6.
I realize the top teams were not flat out in Q1 but we have to compare apples with apples with regards to lap times there.

zoroastar

restless
restless

Hamilton could use DRS, Alonso could not.
Given that I was surprised how hard was this overtaking for Hamilton

Alonso Fan

zoroastar wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 15:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5EIqy6OXc

pretty much shows all.
Wow, Alonso pulled away the rest of the lap and then Hamilton made it all up on the straight. OK Hamilton had a damaged car and a scruffy lap and DRS but still
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

zoroastar

alonso was braking a lot later than hamilton, and pulling away in the esses a bit. i dont know if this is down to chassis or not, but the fact that alonso couldnt pass the sauber with last years ferrari PU, even with drs is pretty telling i think. c:
restless wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 15:53

diffuser

DFX wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:27
diffuser wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:18
He does it, he even comes on the radio and asks sometimes. In those rases in the past when the car was something like 15th and going backwards, he'll come on the radio and "not in so many words" ask to retire the car.
Can you provide any reference?
I don't have copies of team radio, nor am I gonna start looking for it. It isn't so blatant. He says like ok...do I have to stay to the end. etc.

HPD

zoroastar wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 16:21
alonso was braking a lot later than hamilton, and pulling away in the esses a bit. i dont know if this is down to chassis or not, but the fact that alonso couldnt pass the sauber with last years ferrari PU, even with drs is pretty telling i think. c:
restless wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 15:53
In the same way that Hamilton could not overtake Sainz who was behind a Sauber (? :lol:
It is a complicated track to overtake, even for the best engine