2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
restless
restless

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Alonso did great defense, but lets face it - without DRS it was impossible to defend from Mercedes driven by Hamilton.
It was said that in order to overtake one has to be 1.3sec faster... pretty tough.
Its a small miracle Alonso was able to overtake anyone! Too bad we'll never find out the real gains of the team through the season.
Shame on Honda for delivering too late and not enough

DFX
DFX

diffuser wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 16:29
DFX wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:27
diffuser wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:18
He does it, he even comes on the radio and asks sometimes. In those rases in the past when the car was something like 15th and going backwards, he'll come on the radio and "not in so many words" ask to retire the car.
Can you provide any reference?
I don't have copies of team radio, nor am I gonna start looking for it. It isn't so blatant. He says like ok...do I have to stay to the end. etc.
You know that the team radios are only a fraction of the conversation going on right? The question above without context could well be him asking if they will go to the end with the current set of tires, or if they can change tires to at least do some fast laps.

There is no evidence whatsoever that he had ever done that, as others in the forum have corroborated.
Last edited by DFX on 30 Oct 2017, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

DFX
DFX

Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:50
Redragon wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:45
Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 10:24

Why on earth will either of those teams hire him?

Both the teams you mentioned have already an A-List driver and for the second seats they're grooming Ocon and Leclerc. Also, there's no reason for Ferrari to hire someone who damaged their brand so much.
If Alonso damaged so much Ferrari why the Italian fans want him back. At least he wasn't chrasing his car against others in an unprofessional fustration manner eg Baku 2017!
I haven't read one quote anywhere from the Scuderia that they're courting Alonso. To say the 'Italians' want him back is highly generic and not something I want to indulge in. Your Baku jibe is even more futile as it has nothing to do with the contract situations. If Ferrari were so 'frustrated' with the 'unprofessionalism' of their driver, they wouldn't have offered him a contract renewal of 3 years.

Also, just going by history and in fact the current situation at McLaren, Alonso has a lasting and negative impact on teams. The team he's at has been blackmailed by him. Remember? But, you won't remember that. You only remember tales of 'professionalism.'
I think it's funny when someone use the argument that Alonso has done more harm than good in each team that he was on.

The internet is full of interviews and quotes of people who had work with him in the past with Renault, Mclaren 2007, Ferrari and now. Every single one of them praise how Alonso can make the team work around him just by his sheer talent, without recurring to politics. Or about his work ethics, how professional he is.

You must be following Ferrari since 2015 to not put in consideration what a mess they were before that. The problematic cars since 2010, the wind tunnel correlations, poor car development through a season and many others..
Alonso opted to leave Ferrari when he had one more year in on contract, mainly because they had ******* Mattiaci! Who, him I agree, didnt like Alonso very much.

2007 is a case apart. What an absolute mess that was, but blackmailed? This is just a rumour. What actually happen, although is a little bleak was:

Alonso didn't actually blackmail Ron Dennis.
He did threaten to do it whilst they were having a heated argument on the Saturday evening of Hungary 2007. But he never actually did it. However, the argument panicked Ron Dennis who went to the FIA, just in case Alonso went through with his threat, thinking it to be the safer option and obviously deeply mistrusting Alonso. And then Spy-Gate happened.

And if you think that the guy who said that "We are fighting Alonso not Raikkonen" was in the right, think again.

langwadt
langwadt

restless wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 16:32
Alonso did great defense, but lets face it - without DRS it was impossible to defend from Mercedes driven by Hamilton.
Alonso with DRS couldn't get close to overtake Magnussen without DRS

loner

so Mclaren think they have a great chassis and Honda think they have a powerful PU but hampered by the chassis
confusion :lol:
para bellum.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 16:29
DFX wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:27
diffuser wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:18
He does it, he even comes on the radio and asks sometimes. In those rases in the past when the car was something like 15th and going backwards, he'll come on the radio and "not in so many words" ask to retire the car.
Can you provide any reference?
I don't have copies of team radio, nor am I gonna start looking for it. It isn't so blatant. He says like ok...do I have to stay to the end. etc.
You're talking about the race where he asked "can I stop now?" or something to that effect. If you hear the full radio conversation, it was clear he wanted to stop for new tires not retire the car

diffuser

Soooooo often when Hamilton is chasing Alonso we see the flashing red light, no juice for the mgu-k, in the back of the Mclaren,

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 02:12
Soooooo often when Hamilton is chasing Alonso we see the flashing red light, no juice for the mgu-k, in the back of the Mclaren,
I noticed this too. Sad to say it's always been like that
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

diffuser

I was surprised because there is only 45% full throttle in Mexico. I can just imagine what it was like to following McLaren at Suzuka. You start to think it's raining!!!

OviJohn
OviJohn

When in doubt, always go to an unbiased professional source to get a clearer, more objective picture of things no?

So I´ll share what Mr. Lewis Hamilton had to say about Nando, and Mclaren-Honda from his POV after Mexicos GP:
...to have the battle with Fernando, I was like 'this is one tough mofo'. Back and forth, back and forth, I'm like… Formula 1, just wait 'til this guy gets a good engine, because the car was great through other sections, and I really hope for McLaren, who I've already told you has a special place in my heart, I really hope next year is a better year for them. I hope they have a stronger engine a stronger car, and Fernando's a tough bugger – a tough cookie, I prefer that word – and I enjoyed the little battle I had with him and I hope we get to have many more like that.
Source: https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360 ... -f1-title/

Yet, I fear we´ll still have to cope with the posters insisting on the same old song... #-o
Last edited by OviJohn on 31 Oct 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

restless
restless

diffuser wrote:
Is there footage of another "chase" ? Would be revealing to compare with another car being chased , eg how much time without assistance

diffuser

restless wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 13:25
diffuser wrote:
Is there footage of another "chase" ? Would be revealing to compare with another car being chased , eg how much time without assistance
It's Honda's achilles heel. So it would just give you a visual confirmation of this.

restless
restless

I don't doubt the fact I'm interested in calculating the amount of it

Macklaren
Macklaren

restless wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 13:25
diffuser wrote:
The same video has Magnussen right in front. Light comparison is pretty clear

restless
restless

Can you point me at time labels in that video when we see difference?
Watched it twice, both cars have similar patterns of flashing red :S
I thought flashing red was on when engine load is significantly changed...

Explanations I found:
Kicks on when the driver lifts off the throttle and KERS is harvesting. This is because KERS harvest puts load on the drivetrain and sort of acts like a brake. Give the following driver a heads up that the driver lifted.
drivers have to free wheel more (coasting). They are doing this when approaching corners. To warn drivers that are behind the light flashes as a warning.
So, the driver HAS to lift off the throttle. How is this translating into "no juice for mgu-k" ???