2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:58
I assume this means all sponsors will already be on board by then?

Good news if they have all they need, not so good if they want to bring in someone else later.
I'm pretty sure there is one major sponsor that will be announced else it would mean that the Renault doesn't need fuel. :lol:
Last edited by RonDennis on 01 Feb 2018, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

marmer
marmer

RonDennis wrote:
bauc wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:18
I'm sure we will see a great insight of the team struggles last year and how they've dealt with it, but I'm also sure that this documentary will again feed the endless debate of who's fault was it.. Mclaren or Honda's and it will go on an on .....
Does it need a debate? But I guess it probably has to do with McLaren running with too many wings.

"It's too dangerous to run like this," said the two-time champion after one lap. "Horrible balance with the rear because the driveability was poor. So we cannot test like this."

He later added: "This is a really a **** engine. A **** power unit, you know."

It also reminds me of some comments made by McLaren hater Gary Anderson on Autosport.

McLaren can't complain about a lack of Honda power. Alonso just can't get on the throttle properly between Turn 2 and Turn 3 because of a lack of overall grip. There's plenty more of the old gee-gees available if the chassis was stronger.
Gary Anderson taking a simple and underdeveloped idea and saying it out loud almost as bad as Andrew Benson.

Compromised aero package so it's not so slow on the straights means less drivability on power in the corner

bauc

McLaren must keep expectations under control - Boullier

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... l-1001147/

And he is right! Lets go step by step
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Thunder

Take as much Livery Spoiler out of that as you wish. :mrgreen:

[media]https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/959049545438105602[/media]

Also good comments by Zak and Eric in the Interview bauc posted. Some People have way to high expectations for 2018.

Aaand: =D>
"Just look at pitstops," he said. "They are not at the area they need to be. That has nothing to do with what power unit you have.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

"Just look at pitstops," he said. "They are not at the area they need to be. That has nothing to do with what power unit you have.
Yes Mclaren sucked big time on pitstops last season, this is something that is unacceptable for a team who wants to fight at the front

P.S

Regarding the livery, this goes against the Zak's claim that Mclaren's car will look a lot more different this year, as if they go all papaya orange that will mean we will have 60-70% the same livery on the car as last year
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RonDennis
RonDennis

bauc wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:22
Yes Mclaren sucked big time on pitstops last season, this is something that is unacceptable for a team who wants to fight at the front

P.S

Regarding the livery, this goes against the Zak's claim that Mclaren's car will look a lot more different this year, as if they go all papaya orange that will mean we will have 60-70% the same livery on the car as last year

That car looks so good, although I liked it more in chrome.

And look at all those sponsors on the car, hopefully beter times ahead for McLaren. =D>

amho

Thunder wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:10
Also good comments by Zak and Eric in the Interview bauc posted. Some People have way to high expectations for 2018.
why not having high expectations? Mclaren claims that there is considerable gap between renault and honda so if it's true they should easily fight for wins.If you check their lap time at the end of races (when they weren't fuel saving) you could see they were quite competitive.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

proteus

amho wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 20:28
Thunder wrote:
why not having high expectations? Mclaren claims that there is considerable gap between renault and honda so if it's true they should easily fight for wins.If you check their lap time at the end of races (when they weren't fuel saving) you could see they were quite competitive.
Redbull was unable to easily take the wins, u cant expect Mclaren will do it right away. Massive gains would allready be if they would be in Q3 with both cars in every race and not 9th and 10th, but lets say 5th,6th. In terms of results it would mean both cars finishing in top 10 in majority of races.

If they collect atleast 150 - 200 points this season, than they made the right decision.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 20:57
amho wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Redbull was unable to easily take the wins, u cant expect Mclaren will do it right away. Massive gains would allready be if they would be in Q3 with both cars in every race and not 9th and 10th, but lets say 5th,6th. In terms of results it would mean both cars finishing in top 10 in majority of races.

If they collect atleast 150 - 200 points this season, than they made the right decision.
I think if they only amass 10 grid penalties on each car they have made the right decision.
Just a fan's point of view

godlameroso

Is the Renault engine really worth 1.5 seconds over Honda? I doubt it, I'd say the engine is worth a second at most. Where is the other .5 going to come from?
Saishū kōnā

amho

godlameroso wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:37
Is the Renault engine really worth 1.5 seconds over Honda? I doubt it, I'd say the engine is worth a second at most. Where is the other .5 going to come from?
who said "Renault engine worth 1.5 seconds over Honda"? probably a pretentious mclaren guy..
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

RonDennis
RonDennis

amho wrote:
Thunder wrote:
There is a pretty big difference between being competitive and winning. McLaren already said that they will follow Renaults guidelines and switch to their own solutions when they have more experience. So it will probably take some time until we see the full potential.
Last edited by RonDennis on 01 Feb 2018, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

amho wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:50
godlameroso wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:37
who said "Renault engine worth 1.5 seconds over Honda"? probably a pretentious mclaren guy..
Alonso brings 1,5 seconds now just by liking or not liking the engine that's in the back i guess? :lol:

as for the potential livery hint; dunno. it's not really surprising, there's been clear talk about papaya orange mclaren's 2018 f1 contender since what, october, november last year? and every time it has also been played down by mclaren themselves because of sponsor input.

also mclaren could trick us simply by showing a classic mclaren. if we get another video in a week, showing a 'texaco marlboro' mclaren, would that mean we get a red-white?
and if they then show a silver-black west mclaren, do we get that? etc. etc. etc.

to be honest, despite liking the papaya orange, i also feel like there's rather the chance of it looking very bland and 'boring' fast. or perhaps better said; it's not going to age well perhaps. despite that, it would definately be clear recognisable as a mclaren if it were.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

4 weeks away from the first tests....We'll start getting an idea then.

Raleigh
Raleigh

If McLaren go for papaya orange it will probably be the full car including wings with a few blue surfaces and blue driver numbers like the Indycar. Which would IMO look great, it's a timeless classic livery unlike last year's orange/black which will date very fast (not ugly but has a bit of a Marussia vibe).