2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 12:25
Autosport.com:
McLaren is determined to avoid having a "peaky" 2018 Formula 1 design and is focusing on making its new car's handling user-friendly for Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13421 ... y-2018-car

Is it my imagination or is this their approach since Peter Prod's arrival ??

Glad to see he is making his mark at McLaren !!
Peter must be feeling good he can finally compete with his old team once again.

techman
techman

Goss said McLaren had decided not to try to compensate for Honda's lack of straightline performance with a low-drag 2017 design or set-ups.

"Even trimming a bit of downforce off the car and trimming to a lower wing level, we were still not going to get our car to the point where we have that raceability in a straight line," he said.

"So our approach has been to always go for the quickest laptime and our tactics coming to a race weekend were to qualify as well as we can, and then aim to defend that position based on laptime. In some races that was extremely difficult.
This was what i suspected and said,mclaren running heavy downforce, which is true. example in monza all others ran skinny rear wings except mclaren. i posted a link before where mclaren in brazil did a top speed close to the top guys in friday practice and the times were good but however in saturday they reverted back to the more downforce high drag configuration. and boasted how good their car was in corners. well now we know what happened to the some of the lost top speeds for mclaren in the race. like all other teams, in places like brazil and monza where they are long straight you should run less rear wing but mclaren does the opposite

RonDennis
RonDennis

techman wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 13:09
Goss said McLaren had decided not to try to compensate for Honda's lack of straightline performance with a low-drag 2017 design or set-ups.

"Even trimming a bit of downforce off the car and trimming to a lower wing level, we were still not going to get our car to the point where we have that raceability in a straight line," he said.

"So our approach has been to always go for the quickest laptime and our tactics coming to a race weekend were to qualify as well as we can, and then aim to defend that position based on laptime. In some races that was extremely difficult.
This was what i suspected and said,mclaren running heavy downforce, which is true. example in monza all others ran skinny rear wings except mclaren. i posted a link before where mclaren in brazil did a top speed close to the top guys in friday practice and the times were good but however in saturday they reverted back to the more downforce high drag configuration. and boasted how good their car was in corners. well now we know what happened to the some of the lost top speeds for mclaren in the race. like all other teams, in places like brazil and monza where they are long straight you should run less rear wing but mclaren does the opposite
Learn to read.

"So our approach has been to always go for the quickest laptime and our tactics coming to a race weekend were to qualify as well as we can, and then aim to defend that position based on laptime. In some races that was extremely difficult."

techman
techman

techman wrote: ↑04 Feb 2018, 22:09

Learn to read.

"So our approach has been to always go for the quickest laptime and our tactics coming to a race weekend were to qualify as well as we can, and then aim to defend that position based on laptime. In some races that was extremely difficult."
when all others run skinny rear wing and low downforce on fast circuits why did mclaren did the opposite. it is obvious mclaren want to get rid of honda from early 2017, all the excuses and all the blame on honda and make them look bad to eventually break the contract without paying compensation to break the contract. the real truth is coming out and we can now see with Tim Goss statement about how they ran heavy downforce so their beautiful chassis will shine on corners.

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

In no way shape or form does what Goss say confirm your conspiracy theory.

bauc

@techman

when all others run skinny rear wing and low downforce on fast circuits why did mclaren did the opposite.

BECOSE NO ONE ELSE WAS WITH HONDA PU!!! STOP THIS NONSENSE ONCE FOR ALL
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Joseki
Joseki

Honda, a multi billion dollars multinational car company, being victim of a "conspiracy" from a racing team is so hysterically absurd the believe, borderline insane.

I mean, they made cars for decades, they know if they are being sabotaged.

rogazilla
rogazilla

It is all hind sight but what McLaren is saying is disgenuine to me.
1. It is racing at the top level I would expect to extract every second and not having a good pit stop is just that. Nothing to do with PU. Practice. If you have the attitude of it doesn’t matter because our Pu is so bad then you probably shouldn’t be in racing.
2. What Goss said bothers me. This is Racing, you do everything you can to Win, score point. If sacrifice some drivability but give you even a little chance to defend in straight, you should do it. Extract the lowest lap time is not the objective of racing. I just watched grand tour’s episode about lancia racing against audi in rally. Lancia did everything to help them win even if the Car don’t have 4wd. You race to win, to score a few more point.

It sounds more like McLaren has a problem with their attitude and vision in racing.

NathanOlder

Joseki wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 17:30
Honda, a multi billion dollars multinational car company, being victim of a "conspiracy" from a racing team is so hysterically absurd the believe, borderline insane.

I mean, they made cars for decades, they know if they are being sabotaged.
Very true, but using that theory you could also say they made cars for decades, they know how to make a decent engine. But....... they cant. :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

rogazilla wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 18:02
It sounds more like McLaren has a problem with their attitude and vision in racing.
So true.
Thx God Honda made them look good.
I expect McLaren to be last this year and Honda first and due to high demand for their PU in 2019 they will have to decline customers, especially Mercedes and Ferrari.

diffuser

rogazilla wrote:
1. It is racing at the top level I would expect to extract every second and not having a good pit stop is just that. Nothing to do with PU. Practice. If you have the attitude of it doesn’t matter because our Pu is so bad then you probably shouldn’t be in racing.
2. What Goss said bothers me. This is Racing, you do everything you can to Win, score point. If sacrifice some drivability but give you even a little chance to defend in straight, you should do it. Extract the lowest lap time is not the objective of racing. I just watched grand tour’s episode about lancia racing against audi in rally. Lancia did everything to help them win even if the Car don’t have 4wd. You race to win, to score a few more point.

When you're finishing as far back as McLaren was last year (mostly DNF or well out of the points) it doesn't make much of a difference how good you pit stops are. If you finish 14 or 13th the points are still 0. Even if they might have gained 1 point 3 times from pits stops, highly unlikely, they would still have been more than 10 point behind the next team up in the constructors.

JonoNic

diffuser wrote:
rogazilla wrote:

When you're finishing as far back as McLaren was last year (mostly DNF or well out of the points) it doesn't make much of a difference how good you pit stops are. If you finish 14 or 13th the points are still 0. Even if they might have gained 1 point 3 times from pits stops, highly unlikely, they would still have been more than 10 point behind the next team up in the constructors.
You're correct saying that the points would not have made a difference to the standings. However, it does not add extra cost in team bills to practice pitstops. Extra points does bring in some revenue though.

Always find the gap then use it.

diffuser

The amount of Money from FOM is dependent on where you finish in the constructors .. not directly to the points.

JonoNic

diffuser wrote:The amount of Money from FOM is dependent on where you finish in the constructors .. not directly to the points.
Oh. I always thought it's for the points you haul in. Sorry then.

Always find the gap then use it.

diffuser

techman wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 14:41

when all others run skinny rear wing and low downforce on fast circuits why did mclaren did the opposite. it is obvious mclaren want to get rid of honda from early 2017, all the excuses and all the blame on honda and make them look bad to eventually break the contract without paying compensation to break the contract. the real truth is coming out and we can now see with Tim Goss statement about how they ran heavy downforce so their beautiful chassis will shine on corners.
[/quote]

Fake NEWS!