Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jagunx51

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

aeroshape halo, floor openings, waterflow on the sidepod

............!!!!

seezung
seezung

Great view of the vortexes near the floor due to the spray

[media]https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... twterm%5E3[/media]

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 15:43
Holm86 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 14:39
Didnt look too bad in the studio photos, but in real life that halo looks massive, what an eyesore
Yeah, was only when i started to look for the drivers he,met, you realise how big and bulky the Halo really is
I just now realise how difficult the "KERS hop" will be with the Halo blocking access to the top of the fuselage.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 19:37
The RB9 had the coanda bridge, made it difficult to tell how compact it was, this is very much in the same shape of the RB7 however.
I meant RB5!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

shady
shady

well RBR are certainly trying their damnedest to obfuscate that slot on the 'upper' (lower being the floor) sidepod impact structure. i cant tell if its a diversion or not but it is there, and they are erasing front on images of the RB14.

seventhsin

The angle isn't quite the same but the area under rear wing looks much fuller on RB14. Neck of the coke bottle looks thicker and higher, repackaged hardware from the sidepod area and moved it to the rear?

DinkLv
DinkLv

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 21:56
Ok, maybe I was too harsh 2 hours ago, RB14 is a nicely designed car, natural evolution of RB13 with certain solutions borrowed from competitors. A true signature car of Adrian Newey, no doubt. Still, I was hoping for something a bit more explosive, maybe Ferrari's SF-70H spoiled me too much. I haven't spent much time analyzing evolution of RB13, but it definitely came a long way, and this car is basically a natural next step. I mean, look at this boring thing...

http://i.imgur.com/T8eEy7m.jpg

A year is a long, long time in F1.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on lower picture (click for full size), basically all the solutions are evolutionary from last year (some are bigger steps, some are smaller).

https://ibb.co/iWyQqn

Side pod inlets are not as aggressive as those on Williams or Haas, this is most likely Newey being Newey - I'll do it my own way. RB13 already had smallest side pod inlets of all cars, so it's not a surprise to see them like this on RB14. There are some nice vortex structures interacting between inlets, wings and side pod deflectors (color-mapped by pressure, simply for illustration). Unlike FW41, RB14 is focusing an getting the air to the coke-bottle zone from above side pods, as well as from around them (such grammar, very wow #-o ), while FW41 is focusing heavily on getting it there from around the undercut. This is also reducing the lift a lot and I feel RB14 is designed for as little lift as possible, much like RB13. Seeing it, I'm even more interested in W09 and new Ferrari (SF-18H maybe?).
I suppose the basic concept of RB11-B/12/13/14 are quite similar: to diminish the upper surface of sidepod in order to make maximum use of air above the sidepod and reduce lift. The lines of RB14's sidepod are quite hard to point out, but I suppose that RB14 may postpone its 'belly', which is to move the widest point of the sidepod a little bit backwards. As a result, the ramp could go all the way down from the upper surface, and hide the angle between upper surface and undercut shown on RB13. From that point RB14 is a very clever evolution from the previous generations.

In terms of internal packaging, I suppose the RB14 may have a slim, triangular radiator which could suit such a tight sidepod. It might be similar as the RB13, shown as below, in which the radiator go straight down, or like the F14-T, while the radiators lean to both sides at the same time. If it was the latter case, then the surface area of RB14's radiators will not be as small as considered.

My predictions:

OR

P.S. some surface flow-viz of F14-T. May be helpful to predict how RB14's sidepod will affect the flow on the upper surface, although there seems to be some pretty severe seperation at the kick-in of coke bottle:

Last edited by DinkLv on 21 Feb 2018, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

DinkLv
DinkLv

RB14 postponed the widest point of the sidepod, allowing the upper surface to slide all the way down without folding into the undercut

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 01:40
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 15:43
Holm86 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 14:39
Didnt look too bad in the studio photos, but in real life that halo looks massive, what an eyesore
Yeah, was only when i started to look for the drivers he,met, you realise how big and bulky the Halo really is
I just now realise how difficult the "KERS hop" will be with the Halo blocking access to the top of the fuselage.
I totally forgot about that, maybe now you straddle the air box while facing forwards, shuffle back to the rear wing stand on the rear wing and produce a back 3 somersault to land safely on his feet away from the car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

So they went with Mercedes sidepod flow conditioners but a more Ferrari-esque sidepod design.
Felipe Baby!

markovski19
markovski19

Not quite the best spot for this observation, but nonetheless, this is the only 2018 car we've seen on track with the halo fitted so far, so I've got some questions.

Will there be changes to exiting the garage with the halo fitted, especially with the large surface area of the structure, front and centre? Will they have to move the engineer/mechanic who orders them out to suit?

Will there be changes for pit stops, in particular, the pit stop lights for exiting?

DVB

Aaand Danny Ric went in the wall after +/- 70km... They weren't able to complete the full 100km but were satisfied so far.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

nevill3

Is this true
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Clown
Clown

New video of the Red Bull filming day on the official F1 YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yJWiaV48k

There's a couple of little holes on the top of the halo.
Perhaps mounting points for an aero appendage?

Squid
Squid