HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jagunx51

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

djos wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 01:52
jagunx51 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 01:43
make me dizzy just watching the first minute....look at that massive bar in the middle & above !! :shock: :shock:

how could they see the starting light, the pitstop light ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... dH_-KKP7JE
I dont think the camera angle is quite right ... but Ugggh, that's awful!
I think Bottas use camera glasses, so the vid is the driver point of view ................ hmmm, that V blockage, feels like driving a car from the 2nd row :|

............!!!!

bauc

Alonso ''trying'' to pull the Halo off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Jolle
Jolle

jagunx51 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 05:25
djos wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 01:52
jagunx51 wrote:
make me dizzy just watching the first minute....look at that massive bar in the middle & above !! :shock: :shock:

I dont think the camera angle is quite right ... but Ugggh, that's awful!
I think Bottas use camera glasses, so the vid is the driver point of view ................ hmmm, that V blockage, feels like driving a car from the 2nd row :|

https://i.imgur.com/6HRIbPo.jpg
good thing drivers have two eyes then :D

hollus

jagunx51 wrote:

The massive bar in the middle is marginally narrower than the distance between eyes, and thus will block nothing. It can be a distraction ad depth perception will be hindered in a minimal area, but it won't hide anything from view.

Make a small experiment: Hold one index finger (middle finger if you prefer) up in front of you, with the arm only half extended. Close one eye. Block the view of any vertical object of your choice with the finger. Now open the other eye.
Rivals, not enemies.

AJI
AJI

jagunx51 wrote:
This will be interesting. At least one driver commented on this potential problem last year.

NathanOlder

hollus wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 00:15
jagunx51 wrote:

The massive bar in the middle is marginally narrower than the distance between eyes, and thus will block nothing. It can be a distraction ad depth perception will be hindered in a minimal area, but it won't hide anything from view.

Make a small experiment: Hold one index finger (middle finger if you prefer) up in front of you, with the arm only half extended. Close one eye. Block the view of any vertical object of your choice with the finger. Now open the other eye.
I think he meant the top of the halo not the vertical bar.
Here's a small experiment for you. Hold out your forearm in front of you horizontally about 20cm higher than your eye line (trying to replicate the top front horizontal part of the halo) . Now imagine the start lights or your pit release light behind your forearm and tell me you can still see it.

Edit. Added photo to help.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

strad

I can! I can see it!...........my forearm that is. :lol: :lol:
Actually some years ago Newey did some testing for a different reason , in response to a rule change , to check the drivers line of sight
Seems the drivers look basically in two areas. They look straight ahead looking for their breaking point for the next corner and a tangential look across to the apex.
I think we can assume the powers that be will adjust things so they will be able to see the various start lights and such.
This is F1. Money is no object. Raise a light, lower a light, change things however they need to be.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 20:52
If "debris puncturing through the floor is overlooked is simple." is aimed at me, then I think you have misread my post, or just missed the point i was putting across. I was referring to the Floor being damaged on the Halo as it enters the cockpit.

Just out of interest, how many examples of serious injury because of head debry has their been in open wheel racing ? and of those how much will the Halo help, just as an example the Halo probably did nothing for Massa in 09.

I have Justin Wilson, Henry Surtees saved by the Halo, and WIlson would have been saved by the canopy. So only Surtees would have been saved by the Halo alone.
I dont know about Dan Wheldon could he have been saved, the forces involved were mesmerising. So thats a debate not worth getting in to.

Serious injuries where the Halo would do nothing,

Massa 09, Schumacher 99, Hakkinen 95, Billy Monger 17, Jules Bianchi 16, Sergio Perez 11, Robert Kubica 07.

These were just examples i could think of , of the top of my head. Im struggling to see how you can call Big debry to the head as the biggest contributer to serious injury?
I don't think it would have necessarily have helped Maria de Villotta either as the tail-lift could quite easily have gone in the gap under the halo.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about her. Thats certainly another case like Jules, it was what they crashed in to thats totally unacceptable. Yet nothing seems to have been done to remove the JCB's ect.

I'm not sure why they haven't had a simple skirt / armor made for all vehicles that can be on track at the same time as an F1 car. Vehicles such as safety cars, medical cars, 4x4's , JCB'S , trucks, mobile cranes ect. So there's no way an F1 car can go underneath a different vehicle. Would have saved Maria and Jules. I know it would make those vehicles hideous but as we know now, that doesn't matter 1 bit in the quest for stopping a 1 in a billion accident.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 06:48
NathanOlder wrote:
If "debris puncturing through the floor is overlooked is simple." is aimed at me, then I think you have misread my post, or just missed the point i was putting across. I was referring to the Floor being damaged on the Halo as it enters the cockpit.

Just out of interest, how many examples of serious injury because of head debry has their been in open wheel racing ? and of those how much will the Halo help, just as an example the Halo probably did nothing for Massa in 09.

I have Justin Wilson, Henry Surtees saved by the Halo, and WIlson would have been saved by the canopy. So only Surtees would have been saved by the Halo alone.
I dont know about Dan Wheldon could he have been saved, the forces involved were mesmerising. So thats a debate not worth getting in to.

Massa 09, Schumacher 99, Hakkinen 95, Billy Monger 17, Jules Bianchi 16, Sergio Perez 11, Robert Kubica 07.

These were just examples i could think of , of the top of my head. Im struggling to see how you can call Big debry to the head as the biggest contributer to serious injury?
I don't think it would have necessarily have helped Maria de Villotta either as the tail-lift could quite easily have gone in the gap under the halo.
please, don't bring up totally untruthful arguments like that.

#-o #-o #-o

the halo can resist the force of a london bus.
maria's case, the car itself would have 'dived' under the truck's loading platform / rear door. the rear door of the truck itself also is 'flexible' to a degree that the arm will move up or down depending on the load is pressured on it. the speed and force maria's car would have carried, paired with the strenght of the halo, would make maria's car both 'dive' and push it downwards by the marussia's own suspension, and would similarly 'push' the loading platform 'upwards'. there would not be the full entire force of the truck's weight put on the halo.

the front of the halo is forward enough from the helmet. maria's car would have to hit the loading platform diagonally on it's most extended corners to have it be able to penetrate - in other words, the car would have to be sliding in a 45 degree angle - without slowing down and without changing direction - for the corners of the loading platform to have a chance of passing through the opening at the halo.

come on, be realistic. :roll:

again, as for Bianchi's accident - the abrubtness of the stop would not have been changed whether the halo did or did not exist, so that G-force itself would have remained the same and that specific damage to bianchi would have been the same. however bianchi's helmet had hit the caterpillar loader, causing additional shock and damage. that would NOT have happened with the halo - also, the halo is able to withstand the weight of a london bus, so it's reasonable to believe that also in this case, bianch's car would have 'dived' downward, which would have meant his helmet would not have hit the caterpillar, and the car itself would have had further damage, perhaps even taking some minor extra energy out of the equation and thus the total force inflicted. the top of the car was already taken off bianchi's car, the halo would simply have protected the driver's head from ever getting an impact. the shape itself - again - makes it possible the halo doesn't get the full (exponential) damage from the collision , it would have taken damage and deflected it by 'lifting' the truck upwards (the force itself already moved the caterpillar) even further, aswell as further 'diving' the car downwards.

whether that would have saved bianchi's life is another question alltogether but you can be guaranteed that it would have inflicted less total damage and thus, his chances - as remote as they were - would have been ever so slightly bigger, and that might have meant the difference between life and death. if it would have finally resulted in the possibility of recovery or being permanently braindamaged and confined to a wheelchair ala stephen hawking-style is another story alltogether.

but if we're looking at increasing chances for survival, the halo does work for even bianchi's crash.

there is simply no way that the indyscreen would have had any difference on bianchi's crash, and i am doubtfull whether it would have in devillota's case. the RedBull aeroscreen might have, as it essentially is a halo with a screen attached to it. however, if i'm not mistaken, the aeroscreen like the indyscreen slopes down on the sides and exposes part of the driver's helmet, whereas the halo itself 'tops off' at the helmet. a flat object [unlike a wheel] will thus not be able to hit the driver's helmet top-side.

i agree though that there is still a chance that the top of the helmet, in the centre of the halo, might still be hit by a wheel since it's shape allows it to enter the opening inside the halo - if it hits it under that 'perfect' angle. just a few cm's to the side and it bounces off the bar of the halo.

in case of the indyscreen and the aeroscreen, both protect much less than the halo in that case, aswell as bianchi and devillota's case - ALSO in schumacher-liuzzi crash.

hence, the halo remains the safest solution.

it's really not that hard.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

The_table wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 03:17
A normal person will look at a picture of these new cars and say "why the hell do they have a bar in front of their face?" .
I am one of them. Hopefully they will find a better solution for the future. After taking a look to the different car I think that Ferrari´s halo is the best looking one(or the less terrible if you prefer). :mrgreen:

nokivasara
nokivasara

I didn't think much of the halo last year while they tested it, just thought that I'd get used to it like any other change on the cars throughout the years, but now that it's officially here I think it's hideous.
We need to think about safety but this thing is just too much, the angles of the side bars are all wrong, it looks like an air brake or something...
Is this the best solution F1 could come up with? :roll:

Scorpaguy

The facts are (like them or not) that aesthetics are a big part of motorsport today and that most people find the HALO visually hideous.. IMHO, Liberty applied a poor solution to a dubious problem. I believe most enthusiast viewing last year's cars would not call them among the most "attractive" the sport has fielded...and the HALO is a huge step in the wrong direction.

Will the HALO prevent injuries and save lives...quite possibly (some have construed it may even cause the opposite). Did the refueling ban prevent injuries/save lives....quite possibly. However, it did not improve racing and the HALO is not intended to "improve" racing. In this all out quest for abject safety at ALL costs, the solution is quite obvious...let pimply faced fat boys race it out on X-Box in VR/CGI hell. As for the rest of us, let us allow real men (and women) to push man and machine to the limit in all out quests for glory.

HALO sucks.

FW17

Hope Halo will not be a spec part next year and teams will be allowed to design and build as they require to the design loads and materials of the FIA rule book

Maybe they will flatten the pipe on top

Last edited by FW17 on 25 Feb 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 14:02
adrianjordan wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 06:48
NathanOlder wrote:

please, don't bring up totally untruthful arguments like that.

#-o #-o #-o

the halo can resist the force of a london bus.
maria's case, the car itself would have 'dived' under the truck's loading platform / rear door. the rear door of the truck itself also is 'flexible' to a degree that the arm will move up or down depending on the load is pressured on it. the speed and force maria's car would have carried, paired with the strenght of the halo, would make maria's car both 'dive' and push it downwards by the marussia's own suspension, and would similarly 'push' the loading platform 'upwards'. there would not be the full entire force of the truck's weight put on the halo.

the front of the halo is forward enough from the helmet. maria's car would have to hit the loading platform diagonally on it's most extended corners to have it be able to penetrate - in other words, the car would have to be sliding in a 45 degree angle - without slowing down and without changing direction - for the corners of the loading platform to have a chance of passing through the opening at the halo.

come on, be realistic. :roll:

again, as for Bianchi's accident - the abrubtness of the stop would not have been changed whether the halo did or did not exist, so that G-force itself would have remained the same and that specific damage to bianchi would have been the same. however bianchi's helmet had hit the caterpillar loader, causing additional shock and damage. that would NOT have happened with the halo - also, the halo is able to withstand the weight of a london bus, so it's reasonable to believe that also in this case, bianch's car would have 'dived' downward, which would have meant his helmet would not have hit the caterpillar, and the car itself would have had further damage, perhaps even taking some minor extra energy out of the equation and thus the total force inflicted. the top of the car was already taken off bianchi's car, the halo would simply have protected the driver's head from ever getting an impact. the shape itself - again - makes it possible the halo doesn't get the full (exponential) damage from the collision , it would have taken damage and deflected it by 'lifting' the truck upwards (the force itself already moved the caterpillar) even further, aswell as further 'diving' the car downwards.

whether that would have saved bianchi's life is another question alltogether but you can be guaranteed that it would have inflicted less total damage and thus, his chances - as remote as they were - would have been ever so slightly bigger, and that might have meant the difference between life and death. if it would have finally resulted in the possibility of recovery or being permanently braindamaged and confined to a wheelchair ala stephen hawking-style is another story alltogether.

but if we're looking at increasing chances for survival, the halo does work for even bianchi's crash.

there is simply no way that the indyscreen would have had any difference on bianchi's crash, and i am doubtfull whether it would have in devillota's case. the RedBull aeroscreen might have, as it essentially is a halo with a screen attached to it. however, if i'm not mistaken, the aeroscreen like the indyscreen slopes down on the sides and exposes part of the driver's helmet, whereas the halo itself 'tops off' at the helmet. a flat object [unlike a wheel] will thus not be able to hit the driver's helmet top-side.

i agree though that there is still a chance that the top of the helmet, in the centre of the halo, might still be hit by a wheel since it's shape allows it to enter the opening inside the halo - if it hits it under that 'perfect' angle. just a few cm's to the side and it bounces off the bar of the halo.

in case of the indyscreen and the aeroscreen, both protect much less than the halo in that case, aswell as bianchi and devillota's case - ALSO in schumacher-liuzzi crash.

hence, the halo remains the safest solution.

it's really not that hard.
Maria hit the tailgate of the truck. The tailgate on most trucks of this kind are about 2 or 3 inches in thickness. That is thin enough for the tailgate to pass in the gap between the halo and the chassis and still connect with her head.

Remember she lost her eye because of where the tailgate hit her. The bloodclot that eventually claimed her life was secondary to that injury.

So it was about diving underneath the truck or the halo pushing the truck out if the way. It was a freak accident that could, theoretically still happen even with the halo.

So to call this "untruthful" is just plain wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm not against the halo per se, I do wish it was a bit less ungainly. My preference would be some combination of the halo and aeroscreen so that there aren't gaps between the halo and chassis for debris etc to get in between.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️