Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Juzh

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

radosav wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 14:58
Juzh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 14:11
radosav wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 13:26
Well 2017 engine wasnt reliable, so it had to be tuned down a bit, and take into acount that engines have to last seven races now.
2017 abu dhabi spec renault PU was so far off mercedes they better hope Cyril's words are PR BS, or else they're in trouble. Or do you seriously think mercedes will have downgraded performance in order to last 7 races?

Seeing as how overhyped mod deleted my post for whatever unknown reason, here is the link we're talking about:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... s-1008639/
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13361 ... gine-gains
Those gains were a drop in the ocean compared to the final spec mercedes.

radosav
radosav

Juzh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 15:04
radosav wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 14:58
Juzh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 14:11

2017 abu dhabi spec renault PU was so far off mercedes they better hope Cyril's words are PR BS, or else they're in trouble. Or do you seriously think mercedes will have downgraded performance in order to last 7 races?

Seeing as how overhyped mod deleted my post for whatever unknown reason, here is the link we're talking about:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13361 ... gine-gains
Those gains were a drop in the ocean compared to the final spec mercedes.
Well, we don't have numbers.
Nico Hulkenberg in renault was in front of two merc powered force india cars and one williams, so...

djones
djones

I’m pretty confident Mercedes could use last years engine and turn it down a notch. Yet still be more reliable and more powerful than this 2018 Renault.

radosav
radosav

djones wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 16:02
I’m pretty confident Mercedes could use last years engine and turn it down a notch. Yet still be more reliable and more powerful than this 2018 Renault.
Are you sure?

Bisonas

djones wrote:
Well maybe Abiteboul said all those things, in order to make Mercedes and Ferrari think towards your way of thinking, to make them feel safe, that they can play it safe and not introduce their latest engine spec possible, while Renault did found reliability and power on the their current spec :D :D
Maybe its all about preseason tricks, who knows !!
Personally i don't give much attention to what anyone says.
Only Melbourne Qualifying will tell us.

We are gonna find out soon enough i guess. :)

RedNEO

Bisonas wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 19:40
djones wrote:
Well maybe Abiteboul said all those things, in order to make Mercedes and Ferrari think towards your way of thinking, to make them feel safe, that they can play it safe and not introduce their latest engine spec possible, while Renault did found reliability and power on the their current spec :D :D
Maybe its all about preseason tricks, who knows !!
Personally i don't give much attention to what anyone says.
Only Melbourne Qualifying will tell us.

We are gonna find out soon enough i guess. :)
Clever idea. I do like Renault’s approach nonetheless.

etusch

Bisonas wrote:

At this time what kind of income you can expect from this trick ?

nevill3

Was Abiteboul talking about the Renault team or the engine?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Bisonas

etusch wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 20:30
Bisonas wrote:

At this time what kind of income you can expect from this trick ?
Well IMO the spec that the manufactures will decide to use in Melbourne is a big decision, especially for this year. Its too complicated. if they are too conservative they will have to stick with it for many races cause of the allocation rules, and if they are aggressive and have some early failure it will mess up a lot of things for the l8r stages of the championship.
Its not an easy decision to make this year if you are not comfortable with the reliability of your latest engine spec.
Personally i think all will race with their latest engine spec possible and maybe be just run it a little bit conservative for a few races to see whats going on.

But for sure the rules this year helps the mind games that the engine manufacture may or will play before Melbourne.

Bisonas

nevill3 wrote:
I was referring to this article someone post before.

techman
techman

i reckon marko will be pretty angry in the first half of the season. the second spec renault engine after 7 races will have a bit more power. but i believe if there is a team that do with less power its redbull with its effcient chassis.

PlatinumZealot

nevill3 wrote:
Good question. If the other teams ignore the reliability measures and lose races as a result I doubt Abiteboul would care. He already has a full compliment of customers and it would only be more points for Renault team when McLaren and RedBull fall away.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Pierce89

radosav wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:52
djones wrote:
Are you sure?
No, he's not sure. For the latter part of 2017, what modes were the only thing really separating the top 3 PUs. In the races, there was not a large power difference.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Bisonas

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 22:25
nevill3 wrote:
Good question. If the other teams ignore the reliability measures and lose races as a result I doubt Abiteboul would care. He already has a full compliment of customers and it would only be more points for Renault team when McLaren and RedBull fall away.
True, but reading the article it gives me the impression its talking about the engine performance in general. Not what Renault Team will do with the Renault Engine.
Since no team will actually have any idea of how much mileage the engine is capable of doing while fitted in a car and in race conditions, i guess everyone will play it safe and follow Renault guidelines, thresholds and parameters.

Juzh

Pierce89 wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 23:16
radosav wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:52
djones wrote:
Are you sure?
No, he's not sure. For the latter part of 2017, what modes were the only thing really separating the top 3 PUs. In the races, there was not a large power difference.
The fact mercedes was able to run final 3 races with more than 10 kg less fuel directly means they have loads more power over the race distance, be it ERS or ICE.