2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Toro Rosso technical director James Key says his team will be chasing "several issues" during the 2018 season as it takes a step-by-step approach to improving car performance.

"I think we've got work to do," Key told RACER. "It's all relative in the end. We don't know what the competition have done so I think it's always dangerous to underestimate what your competitors are doing, so you've always got to aim higher than even you think is necessary because it's an incredibly competitive situation with new regulations in particular.

"And the changes we're seeing as well, Renault did a good job of their development last year, they're a bigger team now, they're better supported than they were in past years. McLaren recovered very well, Force India put a very strong performance in, and so on. So all of that needs to be considered when you're moving forward, but it would be very difficult to tell exactly where those guys will be.

"So I think for where we are I would say we've still got work to do. We've made some good gains in certain areas, certainly some of the fundamentals on the chassis side that we weren't happy with with the 2017 car we've addressed.

"I think there's more work to do in some of the basic performance steps we need to make but we have a plan for that and it will be a step-by-step approach. It's a long season now and we are going to take a bit of a step-by-step approach with our development because there are several issues still to resolve, but we're certainly making good progress towards resolving them."
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/147546-tor ... teps-in-18

Vasconia

I am happy to see that TR has had a positive start with Honda ,at least its an improvement from previous seasons. With some reliability Honda could make a great step forward during this season. I am pretty sure that it will be clearly the weakest engine but at the end of the season they would surprise us.

HPD

Franz Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal

“I am really looking forward to beginning this new season and enter a new era for our team, working together with Honda. It’s an exciting time for Toro Rosso because we have not had our own engine supplier before, so to partner with a manufacturer, with the history Honda has, will be great.We also have two accomplished rookies for the 2018 season. They are not completely new because both Pierre and Brendon drove a handful of races for us last year, but this will be their first full season in Formula 1. Both drivers come to us as champions, as Pierre won the 2016 GP2 (now F2) Championship, while Brendon is a double World Endurance Champion and 24 Hour of Le Mans winner. I’m convinced that if we provide them with a competitive car, they will be able to perform at very high levels.We have been working very hard on the STR13, and I’m happy we do not have to wait too long to see it running. The season has begun…Gambarimasu!!”

Katsuhide Moriyama, Chief Officer for Brand and Communication Operations, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

“I am delighted that our new car is here and ready for the start of winter testing, having been designed and built to a very tight schedule. That is a tribute to the dedication of the Honda and Scuderia Toro Rosso personnel who have already learned to work very well together, developing the STR13 chassis and RA618H power unit package over the short winter months. Now we have just eight days to evaluate our work on the track, in order to be ready for the coming season. We appreciate the warm support from the fans and hope they enjoy watching us compete in this year’s championship.”

jagunx51

TBH, the only car that looks good with Halo

............!!!!

HPD

Sorry for the off topic, but this is too much for me hahaha

[media]https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 9741132800[/media]

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

as does ferrari.

seems indeed like the body colours being implemented does improve the looks. does help that the blue is a darkish teint.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

jesa7271
jesa7271

does anyone have subscription ?

GARY ANDERSON has been examining the new Toro Rosso this morning, and he reckons the small team has scored a few important early tech win in the first months of working with Honda:

Toro Rosso-Honda's crucial early win - F1 - Autosport Plus
Autosport.comMarrying a new engine to a chassis isn't the work of a moment - and when your new engine is the latest from Honda's troubled Formula 1 programme, you cannot afford significant compromises

Thanks !!

McHonda
McHonda

Even if there's no more running today I don't think you can ask for much better from Day 1.

Smooth running.

Sayeman

Top Speed figure folks. Great day of running.
https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/2363 ... st-in-2018
Never Give up.

Zynerji

I love this car, and this team.

I hope they pull a rabbit out in the second half of the year!

McHonda
McHonda

It really is another beautiful car they've built. It seems like every winter I'm impressed by what they bring straight out the gate.

roon
roon

Encouraging first day.

godlameroso

I'm guessing the developments are aimed at the diffuser, and rear end of the car in general. It's pretty obvious they have to re-work the aero in the rear end of the car due to the different engine installation. That would be the logical place to take step by step, start with a basic design, gather data, feed that into the machines and develop through iteration.
Saishū kōnā

RS200E

Sayeman wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 19:17
Low downforce setup. Honda will still be way down on power.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

RS200E wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 16:15
Sayeman wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 19:17
Low downforce setup. Honda will still be way down on power.
That would be a pretty stupid thing to do. Why would you go low downforce on days 1 and 2 of testing when all you are trying to do is shake down the car and check wind tunnel correlation.