Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

About this "clean" car.

[media]https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/9 ... 3780840448[/media]

No idea what they are up too.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

whoa, didn't notice how 'square' the front of the sidepod was untill now

also indeed weird that they are running without 'sidpod vanes/endplates - whatever they were called'
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gandharva

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:43
...also indeed weird that they are running without 'sidpod vanes/endplates - whatever they were called'
If (without that wings) you are able to keep the air flow and vortices attached until they reach the back of the car, I'm sure this would be much more efficient. -> Less drag and more rear downforce.

seezung
seezung

That packaging :shock:

gandharva

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

whoa, great shot on that floor. that's some next level stuff :shock:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gandharva

Still waiting for some better pics of the area below the rear crash structure. It looks like there is a huge amount of free space on the RB14.

Thunder

Not trying to downplay the RB14, but what Part is "next level" on that Floor exactly? Looks quite state of the Art to my (half blind) Eyes.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

marvin78
marvin78

When it comes to RB everything is "next level" or similar. Mostly there is no reason. It just has to be a RB car.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:38
whoa, great shot on that floor. that's some next level stuff :shock:
It's the wider cars with the wider floors that makes this shape look tighter than it is. If you look at the cars from above the actual space occupied by the sidepods is more than on other cars. Cannot comment on the volume though. It does look clean for sure.

Shakeman

marvin78 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:47
When it comes to RB everything is "next level" or similar. Mostly there is no reason. It just has to be a RB car.
I've long held the belief that if a Marussia car had been rolled out in RB livery it would've been hailed as next level.

Last year the RB hailed as being refined and an exercise in simplification, it turned out not to be the case and Newey had missed a trick and was playing catch up through the season.

The next level stuff on these cars are the intricate bargeboards chasing marginal upon marginal gains which no one with the best will in the world can tell which is the better solution. These cars are like Star Trek aliens, they all look the same but have different colours with a bit of uncertainty around the forehead.

Morteza

Via AMuS

Via @f1debrief
Last edited by Morteza on 26 Feb 2018, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

seezung
seezung

Last edited by seezung on 26 Feb 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

oh men, the Halo has leaked.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:06
I don't think they are being secretive, earlier this morning (see pics a bit more up) they had the whole package on.

I think they just want confirmation from the driver (Ricci) if indeed the car feels less planted without the flow conditioners in place (as they cost drag, and if Ricci feels fine without them maybe an alternative solution can also be found). Just testing I guess.
I don't think they are being secretive but I would also be very surprised if they put running with or without a major (i would class it as that) part based on the drivers feel at this stage. Maybe later in the season but not first day of testing when the whole car is going to feel new. If they were testing that, I'd expect to see some pitot tubes somewhere and more than one lap.