2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

1158 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:36
Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:33

Max speeds (start/finish line) were entered once and then not updated for most of the session. I'd wait for amus to post a photo of timing screens or something simmilar, which they usually do.
They were updating. I saw RAI, RIC, HAR, and STR update several times
I saw no change over the last hour when fast laps were being set. Unless they were really not improving on those laps.

marmer
marmer

Will be good to see if anyone can do 7 races on the same engine over testing. If I was a team boss I would certainly want to try. Teams basically can manage 2 full races a day in distance allowing for some stopping.
If they went for it they might get it done in 3 days
4 full days on same engine will give the qualification and practice levels of running on same engine as well
Last edited by marmer on 26 Feb 2018, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:55

I saw no change over the last hour when fast laps were being set. Unless they were really not improving on those laps.
Yeah the bulk of the updates happened during the first 2 hours, but I know for a fact the ones I listed updated several times. Only 1 I saw change in the final hour was RIC who jumped from 273 to 277. Maybe they only update them occasionally. :?:

I really hope Renault are this competitive (team and PU). Would be great to have more action up front, but I fear Merc is just toying with everyone

Sieper

Well, McLaren is a bit. I am with Craig Scarborough, I think the whole suspension broke before the wheel and nut let loose. If you watch the vid closely you do see the whole top arm collapsing(with the wheel still at the correct angle). McLaren has a really complicated curve to their rear suspension upper arm. Possibly The twisting and turning under real testing conditions were too much. Likely they will now have fitted a stronger design. I am curious to see a pic of the post lunch rear suspension.

TwanV
TwanV

Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:02
Well, McLaren is a bit. I am with Craig Scarborough, I think the whole suspension broke before the wheel and nut let loose. If you watch the vid closely you do see the whole top arm collapsing(with the wheel still at the correct angle). McLaren has a really complicated curve to their rear suspension upper arm. Possibly The twisting and turning under real testing conditions were too much. Likely they will now have fitted a stronger design. I am curious to see a pic of the post lunch rear suspension.
a bit far fetched perhaps, but maybe the Renault has a bit more torque than what they have experienced the last three seasons?

turbof1

According to Zak Brown, it is an easy fix:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... n-1009085/
Brown did not go into detail on the problem that caused Alonso's off, describing it as a "wheel-nut issue" with an "easy fix", and said the disruption was no cause for alarm.
Doesn't sound like a suspension malfunction.
#AeroFrodo

Sieper

Not so much the torgue, they have tried a real innovative upper wishbone (really curved) also the pullrod passes quite close to it. so it might have hit under loads of that twisty section. To me the small vid was really triggering.

I would love to see some pics of the current rear suspension.

I don't trust these kind of comments. Would you expect Brown to say "yeah we really misjudged the rear suspension and it caused a total failure". Not so much, just say a wheelnut let loose.

f1316
f1316

You’d think , with rain-a-coming, they’d all be out straight away... but no :/

HPD

turbof1 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:21

Brown did not go into detail on the problem that caused Alonso's off, describing it as a "wheel-nut issue" with an "easy fix", and said the disruption was no cause for alarm.
I would not trust much in the words of a marketing man..
In the same way I hope that Mclaren will recover soon from this delay.

bauc

30 min into 2nd part of the day, nobody running.....what a fiasko
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

the EDGE
the EDGE

Is there an F1 staff strike on this afternoon we don't know about?

turbof1

HPD wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:27
turbof1 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:21

I would not trust much in the words of a marketing man..
In the same way I hope that Mclaren will recover soon from this delay.
I do trust Zak not to tell things that come to bite him later on. We shall see; if the suspension has issues don't expect them to come back out today.
#AeroFrodo

the EDGE
the EDGE

and we have a McLaren on track... but for how long?

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Gary Anderson complaining over on Autosport -
...the one concern is that from what we have seen so far the tyres seem to be lasting a long time, especially considering this is, or at least was, considered a bit of a tyre killer.
I fail to see how tyres lasting a decent amount of time is considered a negative.