2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

the EDGE wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:37
and we have a McLaren on track... but for how long?
Sirotkin is also out in the Williams
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mansell89
Mansell89

Rain apparantly- weather could cause issues this week

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Mansell89 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:40
Rain apparantly- weather could cause issues this week
It might at least give some wet weather testing that's a bit more reliable than those stupid water trucks last year.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:38
Gary Anderson complaining over on Autosport -
...the one concern is that from what we have seen so far the tyres seem to be lasting a long time, especially considering this is, or at least was, considered a bit of a tyre killer.
I fail to see how tyres lasting a decent amount of time is considered a negative.
Wasn't track resurfaced few weeks ago?

noxroxafox
noxroxafox

I know that McLaren had huge failures these last few years with their Honda-related stuff. But we should put aside all those failures and just look at their chassis.

Their chassis itself is a very good chassis, we should agree on that right? So why is everybody so very negative about a simple issue regarding a wheelnut? Yes, I'm a McLaren fan (since 1998), but come-on, they've build a good chassis last year and it seems its still as good as before (just speculation) so there is no need to be so negative and just stick to the facts right? :lol:

Facts are: Sauber has made a fool of themselves (again) and one wheelnut that falls off the McLaren isn't such a big deal. If it really is a design flaw, well atleast they tried to fix something out of the box.

The Renault engine roars as it should and now they can focus on the good stuff: Build a good car. I honestly believe that the MCL33 is a very good car.. :D Or am I missing something? :lol: :lol:

marmer
marmer

Anthropolyte wrote:Gary Anderson complaining over on Autosport -
...the one concern is that from what we have seen so far the tyres seem to be lasting a long time, especially considering this is, or at least was, considered a bit of a tyre killer.
I fail to see how tyres lasting a decent amount of time is considered a negative.
Gary Anderson talking rubbish as normal.

Cars are not pushing like they would in a race or qualification.

Track temps are far lower than what we will see come the actual gp and by all accounts it's colder than last years test

So tyres will last forever

ivanlesk wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:43
Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:38
Gary Anderson complaining over on Autosport -
Wasn't track resurfaced few weeks ago?
Maybe he missed this because it wasn't a prime article...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/barc ... n-1008754/
Said Allison: "It's never easy in Barcelona winter testing to pick up everything that you would wish to about the tyres, because it's winter, and the tyres don't run in the winter on the whole when we're racing.

"And Barcelona is quite an aggressive track on the tyres, it tears them up in the winter, you get a lot of graining.

"This year is going to be particularly interesting because they just resurfaced Barcelona, and it is a lot, lot smoother, and the sort of rubber that would be torn up last year in Barcelona testing could probably survive this year.

"But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be super-representative of the remainder of the year.

Jolle
Jolle

noxroxafox wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:44
I know that McLaren had huge failures these last few years with their Honda-related stuff. But we should put aside all those failures and just look at their chassis.

Their chassis itself is a very good chassis, we should agree on that right? So why is everybody so very negative about a simple issue regarding a wheelnut? Yes, I'm a McLaren fan (since 1998), but come-on, they've build a good chassis last year and it seems its still as good as before (just speculation) so there is no need to be so negative and just stick to the facts right? :lol:

Facts are: Sauber has made a fool of themselves (again) and one wheelnut that falls off the McLaren isn't such a big deal. If it really is a design flaw, well atleast they tried to fix something out of the box.

The Renault engine roars as it should and now they can focus on the good stuff: Build a good car. I honestly believe that the MCL33 is a very good car.. :D Or am I missing something? :lol: :lol:
You’re missing a lot. About 7 ½ days of testing and a Grand Prix. It’s impossible to judge or agree that McLaren made a good chassis.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

noxroxafox
noxroxafox

You’re missing a lot. About 7 ½ days of testing and a Grand Prix. It’s impossible to judge or agree that McLaren made a good chassis.
Correct, thats why I believe they've made one (looking back in the past). No facts as of yet :D

Gerhardsa

Nobody knows yet if the McLaren is a good car. Its still too early to make such claims.
Its just funny seeing McLaren at the bottom of the lap counts, and Toro Rosso running without a hitch with that "GP2" engine.
I guess you are just missing the "irony" of the situation.

But no, there is nothing to be alarmed about....yet.
Just don't get your hopes up too much
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 26 Feb 2018, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

TwanV
TwanV

noxroxafox wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:44

Hah, on what reference do you base your X-number of assumptions? We'll see how good they are compared to Enstone and RB. The fact that they've gone out this morning on supersofts is a bit weakish in my opinion. Wait and see.

noxroxafox
noxroxafox

Ah well, maybe I should not have mentioned it :lol:

tinvek
tinvek

anyone else beginning to think that these days autosport might be better off employing Gary Barlow rather than Gary Anderson ?

marmer
marmer

tinvek wrote:anyone else beginning to think that these days autosport might be better off employing Gary Barlow rather than Gary Anderson ?
He talks so much rubbish he makes brundle seem talented