2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HPD

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Incredible the fight of the mclaren and tr hahahaha

Alonso went long in the curve 12 (I think) and after 3 laps I surpassed it haha. It was a nice fight, Alonso was pushing a lot

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Squid wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 11:27
From listening to the Periscope stream at turn 1, it sounds like the Honda is much more aggressive in the cylinder cutoff compared to the other engines. Very pronounced all the way through turns 1, 2 and 3.
What do you mean by "cylinder cutoff"?

Giblet
Giblet

iotar__ wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:36
- Are McLaren blaming Honda for wheelnut failure :D ?

- Bizzarre mid-day line up changes at Williams.
- Also why would bad with tyres and slow Kubica be driving at all? Work on set up? Flawed (see above) and for other drivers that are not capable of it? Hire whoever you want but don't follow it with weird damage limitation campaign.
?

The entire F1 grid doesn't think that, why do you?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sevach
Sevach

For what it's worth from Gary Anderson:

"The Toro Rosso is looking front limited. The front end on turn in is washing out a little. The Mercedes has shown the same characteristic."

Jolle
Jolle

noxroxafox wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:50

You’re missing a lot. About 7 ½ days of testing and a Grand Prix. It’s impossible to judge or agree that McLaren made a good chassis.
Correct, thats why I believe they've made one (looking back in the past). No facts as of yet :D
Your hope, combinened with ten laps isn’t a basis to state that we have to agree with you. Last years chassis was eating up tires and had the worst scoring in Mclaren history.

Plus it’s quite possible, with a jump of Honda, they went from the slowest PU to the slowest PU.

Morteza

Sevach wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:00
For what it's worth from Gary Anderson:

"The Toro Rosso is looking front limited. The front end on turn in is washing out a little. The Mercedes has shown the same characteristic."
The rest of his observation
Hamilton struggled at Turn 1 and on his third or fourth lap of the run the rear end went on turn in. He then had to gather it up - as always, that looks messy but was an easy catch. The car certainly isn’t on rails just yet. Next lap round the rear stepped out and he had to take to the runoff area.

The Toro Rosso went off - the rear stepped out and by the time he’d caught it he was in the runoff area.

The McLaren looks quite stable. Hard to know until Alonso's really pushing but it's looking like a good starting point.

Last year, the Red Bull struggled for traction at the rear but Ricciardo is able to put the power down on exit and the car behaves itself.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE
the EDGE

Jolle wrote:
noxroxafox wrote:

You’re missing a lot. About 7 ½ days of testing and a Grand Prix. It’s impossible to judge or agree that McLaren made a good chassis.
Correct, thats why I believe they've made one (looking back in the past). No facts as of yet :D
Your hope, combinened with ten laps isn’t a basis to state that we have to agree with you. Last years chassis was eating up tires and had the worst scoring in Mclaren history.

Plus it’s quite possible, with a jump of Honda, they went from the slowest PU to the slowest PU.
Are you trying to suggest the Mcl32 was bad on tyres all season?

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

There were discussions over the last couple of years about who was most at fault - McLaren for enforcing a design, or Honda for designing a poor engine. Despite being a long-term McLaren fan, I'm starting to think the former is far more likely than the latter.

Yes, the car is no doubt set up very well with regards to aero and suspension, but if the packaging for the engine is limiting or the engine has to be redesigned to be accommodated by the chassis, then it's going to cause problems. I wonder if McLaren are being as difficult to work with as people have previously claimed - particularly following the words from Toro Rosso about having had no communications issues with Honda from the outset.

Time will tell, no doubt.

Jolle
Jolle

the EDGE wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:04
Jolle wrote:
noxroxafox wrote:

Suggesting that there is no real basis that McLaren made brilliant chassis over the past few seasons like some here are stating as facts.

marmer
marmer

It's impossible to know just how good McLaren where last season on chassis and aero

No other team ran honda
It's not worth even trying to figure out how good they could have been as putting another engine in would have required some changes

the EDGE
the EDGE

Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:10
the EDGE wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:04
Jolle wrote:

Suggesting that there is no real basis that McLaren made brilliant chassis over the past few seasons like some here are stating as facts.
And your basis for stating ''Last years chassis was eating up tires'' is what...?

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Jolle wrote:
noxroxafox wrote:

You're implying that Renault is the slowest PU based on... what? Current timings are meaningless, and even if they did mean something, Renault are up top with Red Bull at the moment.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Thunder18 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:40
I'm only listening via crappy ear phones, but I don't think the Honda sounds that bad, downshifting maybe, plus I thought initial traction out of the corner was pretty decent??
Has there been a discussion around here on why FOM struggles to bring us good sound of the PU'S but fan videos sound so much better?

mclaren111

A 1:21.339 from Fernando Alonso. That's a faster time than McLaren managed in the whole of winter testing a year ago...
:D :D

Jolle
Jolle

Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:15
Jolle wrote:
noxroxafox wrote:

You're implying that Renault is the slowest PU based on... what? Current timings are meaningless, and even if they did mean something, Renault are up top with Red Bull at the moment.
I don’t expect it that they are at the moment, just saying that it’s a possibility. It would fit in Alonso’s bad luck.