2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Because you have new, unknown engine (package).

Sieper

They do have high top speed and not the fastests of laps so it does seem to suggest a low downforce set up being tested. I have to agree with RS200E but likely he was also posting that a little bit to "get back" at the Honda fanboys as he expressed his unhappiness about that in two separate McLaren topics.

Snorked
Snorked

On the first day of the test, I ran 93 laps with no trouble, but what kind of program did you do?

"There was also a small entry and going out to set the baseline setting, basically I ran a semi-long run about 15 laps, and compared the settings of the parameters in a stable state in a stable condition Originally about 120 laps I was planning to run, but at the end I can not get a grip due to the influence of road surface temperature and rain so I was waiting for the condition to recover by running this even if I ran, but it is impossible In the end it ended up as early as around 17 o'clock. "

ー How far has the setup and optimization of the car body and power unit advanced?

"It is still a stage of parameter learning to know the situation of the power unit, knowing the car still more than optimization, looking at the response to it, shaking it a little, I grasp that this car and the power unit are these characteristics It is a feeling that optimization is performed by narrowing down to the most delicious place on the side.When the power unit has been shaking a lot, especially on the side of the body, since the power unit side has been calibrated and mapped on the dynamo, confirmation of optimization And furthermore it is a task of optimizing according to actual running "

- Last year there was a problem with matching with the gearbox, oscillation at the time of upshifting (oscillation of the rotation number) became a problem, but how is this year?
http://members.f1-life.net/race/63906/

ivanlesk wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:11
Again, why would you try any sort of gimmicks on day 1. All you might end up doing is hurting a PU and having to change it. The PU is suppsoed to be tuned down and you go out with low downforce to set a top speed? Give me a break.

It's more likely there was a tow involved.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

1158 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:30
ivanlesk wrote:
Again, why would you try any sort of gimmicks on day 1. All you might end up doing is hurting a PU and having to change it. The PU is suppsoed to be tuned down and you go out with low downforce to set a top speed? Give me a break.

My statement should have question mark.
I was guessing / asking.

ivanlesk wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:33
1158 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:30
ivanlesk wrote:

My statement should have question mark.
I was guessing / asking.
Well that makes it a whole different statement lol. I still say their top speed is more likely to be from a tow than from a low downforce setting.

Regardless 75 laps so far. That's what they need. Laps not power or speed and this point.

HPD

RS200E wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 16:15
Low downforce setup. Honda will still be way down on power.
People still think that in 2017, Honda had 60HP less than Renault. No friend ... that was a lie of Alonso and Zak and Eric .. I'm so sorry.

I still can not believe what is happening, see TR so strong, and I do not talk about the engine ... they seem to have a good chassis.

godlameroso

They have work to do, I'm guessing at medium speeds they're getting floor instability in the diffuser. They're not getting the most they can out of the floor, but it's nothing upstream, it's the diffuser itself. Car loses too much downforce under braking, the diffuser isn't that efficient yet and it's pitch sensitive. It'll come though, it just needs some tweaking, glad to see the Honda power unit has made a decent step forward.
Saishū kōnā

Sayeman

Honda didn't come back to F1 to supply Torro-Rosso though. Their aim would be to supply RedBull next year, so Honda needs to impress. Renault has given the May deadline, so the engine needs to be rock solid in the first few races.

This year will be nothing but a testing year for Honda.
Never Give up.

godlameroso

https://youtu.be/cTAU7zziEyA?t=3m43s

You can see how skittish the car is going into turn 1 even compared to the Haas which is following.
Saishū kōnā

dren

godlameroso wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:29
They have work to do, I'm guessing at medium speeds they're getting floor instability in the diffuser. They're not getting the most they can out of the floor, but it's nothing upstream, it's the diffuser itself. Car loses too much downforce under braking, the diffuser isn't that efficient yet and it's pitch sensitive. It'll come though, it just needs some tweaking, glad to see the Honda power unit has made a decent step forward.
Everything upstream affects how the diffuser operates.
Honda!

carisi2k

I think you will find that it is the cold weather causing those issues and not low down force. Toro Rosso and Honda are not looking for eye popping times. They are looking for mileage and have been easily close to the top of the midfield in performance with only the big 3, Mclaren on the hypersofts and Renault faster then them at the moment all while putting in a huge amount of laps.

etusch

Just two day passed and too early for correct comment. But it looks like Mercedes Ferrari and Redbull are top 3 , Renault follows them and TR 5th fastest when we look just these two days.

FrukostScones

Even if the Honda PU is finally fine. TR will never be 5th. 6th is the maximum..if not 7th.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

McMika98
McMika98

FrukostScones wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:03
Even if the Honda PU is finally fine. TR will never be 5th. 6th is the maximum..if not 7th.
If Honda is fine they will be up there and maybe eclipse Mclaren. The chassis is solid.