2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
aleshondas
aleshondas

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Im so happy how good rosso honda is doing so far. Only down is weather

NathanOlder

Im fine if you put Vettel and Maldonado in the same group. I mean, I dont particularly like Seb, but comparing him to Maldonado, bit harsh pal.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Mangalhit

GPR-A wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 16:43
Anyone ready to predict the fastest time for the Winter Testing?

- Last year, Raikkonen set 1m18.634, using Super Soft on the last day of second winter test.
- Even by most conservative accounts, if the car that ran in Abu Dhabi GP, must have been developed by atleast one second.
- So, if the SF70H would be doing the winter testing currently, it could do 1m17.5xxx.
- If we add, one more second from the development through the winter, then SF71H should be able to do 1m16.5xxx.
- This year's Softs is actually last year's SuperSoft. So, using the current Softs, SF71H should be able to do 1m16.5xxx.
- There is resurfacing that has happened on the Circuit, which should add considerable amount of pace. I am not sure how much it is worth. By conservative estimates, if that is worth half a second, then SF71H should be able to do 1m16.0xx, using Softs.
On the other hand cars are heavier, they have the halo, they lost the shark fin, engine air cooling is limited to 10ºC above ambient and no oil burning. The track is also cold AF but maybe next week it will be at a really good sweet spot.

Could these hamper the estimates a bit?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 16:48
the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 16:45

If that's true my money is on Mercedes or Ferrari
It was Williams. There was a suggestion that testing should go to Friday because of the weather. Williams have a filming day booked so said "no". Change needs unanimous agreement so it's not happening.
where did you get the info it was Williams from? this morning Clare was saying the team would be happy to cancel filming day if asked... but no one had asked

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1?ref_src ... Flive-blog
It was on the BBC's testing coverage feed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

BrunoH
BrunoH

overheating in snow like conditions... not running again... its going to be a terrible start to the season... and no Honda to hide under now..
everyone has bigger cooling intakes.. but no.. not Mclaren.. then it burns in freezing conditions

McHonda
McHonda

BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:55
overheating in snow like conditions... not running again... its going to be a terrible start to the season... and no Honda to hide under now..
everyone has bigger cooling intakes.. but no.. not Mclaren.. then it burns in freezing conditions
You realise the exhaust clip broke right?

McHonda
McHonda

BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:00
McHonda wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:59
BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:55
You realise the exhaust clip broke right?
Yes i do... and still they haven't =D> =D> ran almost the entire day... and you think its because of an exhaust clip that broke? hahahahahah
Why would I assume different?

BrunoH
BrunoH

because no one wold stay out almost the entire day with no test running just because of that.... that's insane or its amateur day at Mclaren....

godlameroso

I don't think it bothers them too much to be honest, they did some aero tests in the morning and called it a day. If this continues into next week, then worry.
Saishū kōnā

McHonda
McHonda

BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:04
because no one wold stay out almost the entire day with no test running just because of that.... that's insane or its amateur day at Mclaren....
I'm going to assume you don't know what broke,the damage it did,what you have to remove to get to it,what you have to do to fix the damage and replace with a new part and then put the rear of the car back together again when you're done. Or how long that takes to do.

It's annoying and it's not good from or for McLaren but it's also no reason to panic and certainly no reason to redesign their entire cooling package unless the bracket melted which I find hard to believe bud.

KingHamilton01

the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:38
KingHamilton01 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:32
BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:52
guess its another Disaster for Mclaren.. very little running...
They said the target was 100 Laps a day! so even when they said yesterday it wasn't a big deal and they would make it up I think they are putting a brave face on it. Considering they are also going to encounter problems like today's with overheating! so they will have to systematically make cooling solution's as test goes on.
I doubt a broken exhaust bracket will require a overhaul of the cooling system, and given the trouble free running yesterday I see no reason to doubt McLarens explanation at the moment

It’s too early in testing for this to have a major impact, especially as they are yet to even introduce the race trim aero package, and given the limited useful running teams have been able to achieve in the freezing temps.

Also, testing is not as critical to McLaren this year as other teams are running the same PU

that said, it’s still an embarrassing poor show which highlights QC at McLaren is still below par
Yeah it does make you question when they had issue's with honda in testing last year if some of it is more down to McLaren and there stubborn attitude to run such a tight package. Obviously I don't want to speculate as we don't have any official confirmation on there issue today but like you said clear they aren't doing something right, need to run 90+ Laps to convince me there getting on top of thing's.

However like you mentioned the positive about the engine is that it has been running through Red Bull and Renault although I am sure that more running would only help Renault gather data more data to go over which would help McLaren. to make it clear not time to panic, but they need to show they can sustain Lap's and run decent stint's on the tyres they use for that day! the other thing to factor is the weather, no extended test this week apparently and forecast isn't getting any better.
McLaren Mercedes

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:55
SparkyAMG wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:54
adrianjordan wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 17:52
What do you mean the Martini deal died??
Martini aren't renewing their sponsorship of Williams after this season.
Yeah. Literally just read that in the Williams team thread after typing the above...
Force India after the name change, or Alfa Romeo is my bet.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McHonda
McHonda

On the exhaust bracket, do we think it's a hangover from Alonso's excursion yesterday or just one of those things the QC department should've caught?

Xero

BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:04
You're assuming the broken clip didn't lead to the exhaust causing damage to other internal parts. You're also assuming they have a spare clip ready to bolt on. It's not a major drama by any means, and these things happen in testing, especially when testing a new and unfamiliar layout. Stop trying to make it sound like a fundamental issue like those they've had to deal with in the past few years. Unless it's another blatant attempt at trolling, in which case, it's getting boring now.

DiogoBrand

McHonda wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:17
On the exhaust bracket, do we think it's a hangover from Alonso's excursion yesterday or just one of those things the QC department should've caught?
Considering that it's really unlikely for gravel to damage that part of the exhaust, as well as the fact that they most likely had the engine cover off during the night and would've definitely caught any damage done there, I don't think it's related in any way.