Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ScrewCaptain27

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Diffuser flow viz (Autosport/LAT Images):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

Via Formulapassion.it:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sieper

astracrazy wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 17:52
Sieper wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 14:06
I don't think they are being secretive, earlier this morning (see pics a bit more up) they had the whole package on.

I think they just want confirmation from the driver (Ricci) if indeed the car feels less planted without the flow conditioners in place (as they cost drag, and if Ricci feels fine without them maybe an alternative solution can also be found). Just testing I guess.
I don't think they are being secretive but I would also be very surprised if they put running with or without a major (i would class it as that) part based on the drivers feel at this stage. Maybe later in the season but not first day of testing when the whole car is going to feel new. If they were testing that, I'd expect to see some pitot tubes somewhere and more than one lap.
it indeed is a MAJOR part, and I too don't think they are actually going to drop it altogether (or even partially at all), that that was a serious "test" but I cannot think of a real valid reason do drive around like that! So what I could think is along these lines; as last year they had correlation problems due to overestimating the drag as these wider cars are closer to the wind tunnel edge. Maybe now they just wanted to test without this "optional" part as to mimic last years very bare car to see if they indeed lose the grip levels these appendices offer. Just to be sure, if the program was going well already (like it seems to be).

gandharva

gandharva

f1rules
f1rules

AMUS

Morteza

Via @F1debrief

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

AMuS
- Serj Tankian

munudeges
munudeges

I see what Enrique Scalabroni was talking about with the halo now. It is going to be very important.

Evillian
Evillian

munudeges wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:17
I see what Enrique Scalabroni was talking about with the halo now. It is going to be very important.
He talked about the rake of the RB14 being high enough to avoid problems with the airbox. Do you think this is the reason why Mercedes and Ferrari (escpecially Mercedes) have bigger air intakes?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Just my observation but the paint on the halo - am I correct in assuming from the way the paint has been flowing that it looks like they are using the halo to push the air around the cockpit and feed it along the sides of the car?

paddyf1
paddyf1

digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:09
Just my observation but the paint on the halo - am I correct in assuming from the way the paint has been flowing that it looks like they are using the halo to push the air around the cockpit and feed it along the sides of the car?
I think that down the side is just overspill, its just run off at low speed, not sure though.

zioture
zioture

Day 2 Test Barcellona Photos

Full gallery here http://www.newsf1.it/foto-formula-1-day-2-barcellona/

the EDGE
the EDGE

Shakeman wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:16
marvin78 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 15:47
When it comes to RB everything is "next level" or similar. Mostly there is no reason. It just has to be a RB car.
I've long held the belief that if a Marussia car had been rolled out in RB livery it would've been hailed as next level.

Last year the RB hailed as being refined and an exercise in simplification, it turned out not to be the case and Newey had missed a trick and was playing catch up through the season.

The next level stuff on these cars are the intricate bargeboards chasing marginal upon marginal gains which no one with the best will in the world can tell which is the better solution. These cars are like Star Trek aliens, they all look the same but have different colours with a bit of uncertainty around the forehead.
I think the difference with the Red bull chassis is that even down on power & released with compromised aero... it was still the 3rd quickest car

FrukostScones

Gorgeous car.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.