2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Evillian
Evillian

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:04
because no one wold stay out almost the entire day with no test running just because of that.... that's insane or its amateur day at Mclaren....
The exhaust probably did damage to internal parts and cables. Also they did come out at the end, which they probably wouldn't have done if your assumptions were right. Also these burn marks don't appear simply because an engine gets too hot. They will only appear by direct heat (such as from an exhaust), or an engine fire which means they have to replace the engine which they didn't.

Also ending your post with "Hahahahaha" indicates you are over-confident which is considered very rude. Even if your post did make any sense. ;-)

Mr.G

Any track videos so far?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

BrunoH
BrunoH

its not normal, lets just say what it is.. other teams did almost 100 laps even with this ´´snow´´ thing, they have a total of less than 50% of the total laps in testing in the 2 days than some teams and are dead last in laps total... anyway its always a bad thing, and given that Williams did not agree to change the testing dates.. they are going most likely not to run with relevant data due to weather tomorrow and the 4 day also thats raining.. so yeah its a bit problem when you see that the next 2 days of testing are not going to be so good for testing... so no real chance to ´´catch up´´

Steven
Owner

George-Jung wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 20:19
Some people just expect this winter testing to be a competition on it self.

It is just testing; to see if everything works as it should- and incase it doesn’t to find solutions before the start of the season/championship.
Well, the media isn't really helping either.

Here in Belgium, the news reported "... Vandoorne was third fastest in his first day of testing. Among others, he set a faster time than Max Verstappen". :roll:

Redragon

GoranF1
GoranF1

the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 20:15
GoranF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:58
The only worry for me right now is Mclaren tyre choice for this test?
I honestly don’t understand why that would be an issue

There is no possible comparison to be made to last year due to track resurface.
The track is no longer an abrasive tyre killer for the same reason.
It’s freezing cold so a soft choice would enable a much quicker warm-up which would give more consistent data back to team

For me, the surprise is other teams not going the same direction

I’ve said it before, but I think teams had to pre-order tyre requirements, McLaren simply went softer than others. It has no bearing on the chassis as McLaren were running the SS from the word go, it’s not as if they tried the medium and thought our cars no good, and it has no bearing on their speed, as all their doing is systems checks & aero correlation at given speed
For me the most important thing in testing are track observers...and they all say Mclaren looking very good.
We see by RB performance engine is good enough so i think things are looking good so far.
Wheel nut and exhaust problems are nothing.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

Red Bull are struggling...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:47
For pace?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

DVB

Steven wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:23
George-Jung wrote:

It is just testing; to see if everything works as it should- and incase it doesn’t to find solutions before the start of the season/championship.

Here in Belgium, the news reported "... Vandoorne was third fastest in his first day of testing. Among others, he set a faster time than Max Verstappen". :roll:
Typically Belgian news... I don't read hln or Sporza.. only F1T 😉
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Steven wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:23
George-Jung wrote:

True, some media hyping I can understand- but we “forum-members” should know better..

It is better to have an exhaust clamp failure now and fix it ‘forever’- than to have it during your warm up lap at your first race.
Last edited by George-Jung on 27 Feb 2018, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

lio007

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:47
Why?

FrukostScones

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:46
Im fine if you put Vettel and Maldonado in the same group. I mean, I dont particularly like Seb, but comparing him to Maldonado, bit harsh pal.
Both beat ALO. Ahhaahahahahah.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Phil

DFX wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:54
It may not be trolling, but it sure sounds like it.
No, it’s called being factual. Most pf us want to see McLaren do well. Sitting in the garage while others are out driving despite less than ideal conditions isnt “according to plan”.

According to plan is what the top 3 have been doing. Being outthere, gathering data, simulations, learning.

Sitting innthe garage because a fault did occur is a perfect example of something NOT going according to plan. If it did, nothing would have failed in the first place.

It doesnt mean they cant recover, but it is what it is.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

marmer
marmer

Anyone have data on amount of laps done in testing for past few years and constructors championship final position would be interesting to see

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Oh my. The T-cam is horrible with HALO fit in.