2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

oversteer could simply be temperature.

Come 20 degree temps, the front could be better than the rear.

PlatinumZealot

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:47
Red Bull are struggling...
For pace?
lio007 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Why?
Yes.They seem to be ironing some things out. Ferrari and Mercedes are confident.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

NathanOlder

GM7 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:34
Manoah2u wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:22
good god, can we take a moment to realise how dispicable and bad this new format is?
it looks like a dated teletext format from a long-outdated cheap television long overdue for a replacement #-o
This isn't the FOM design :lol: this is just an Excel document made by myself, i use a police who looks like the FOM :lol:
Ouch! Poor GM7 , all that work for what. Manoah to burn it down in an instant. Haha, nah im sure he will realise its good for someone who just whipped it up quick for the good of the forum.

I think the best part is going to be his apology lol milk it, milk it good :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

DiogoBrand

Postmoe wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:47
GM7 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

good god, can we take a moment to realise how dispicable and bad this new format is?
it looks like a dated teletext format from a long-outdated cheap television long overdue for a replacement #-o
This isn't the FOM design :lol: this is just an Excel document made by myself, i use a police who looks like the FOM :lol:
And it’s not so bad anyway
That depends: If it's quickly made on Excel by a forum user, it's perfectly fine. If it's made by FOM, who recently seems to have invested big in a new graphic identity, then it's unacceptable.

MtthsMlw

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GM7 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
oh dear lord i sincerely apologize :shock: #-o
did not mean to be mean. well i can't say that i don't like the format, so that's out there anyway.

nevertheless, do respect the work you put into it, and hey - take it as a compliment that it's been mistaken as official matarial then :mrgreen:

good lord i'm gonna crawl under a blanket in a corner and hide :oops:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Phil

DFX wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:24
Phil wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:29
DFX wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:54
It may not be trolling, but it sure sounds like it.
No, it’s called being factual. Most pf us want to see McLaren do well. Sitting in the garage while others are out driving despite less than ideal conditions isnt “according to plan”.

According to plan is what the top 3 have been doing. Being outthere, gathering data, simulations, learning.

Sitting innthe garage because a fault did occur is a perfect example of something NOT going according to plan. If it did, nothing would have failed in the first place.

It doesnt mean they cant recover, but it is what it is.
Being factual would be trying to access the reasoning behind the lack of running in the 2nd day instead of panicking and looking for someone to blame.

Is not ideal, but this is what pre season tests are for! To find out those kind of issues before the season starts.
No, that would be speculating. We don't know, you don't know. What we do know is that testing is limited. Very limited. There are going to be new tires this year, new compounds. There's a big fat and heavy halo now high up. For McLaren, there's also a new engine in the back, likely new cooling requirements, packaging etc. What do you think would be ideal? Sitting in the garage with limited running time knowing that something didn't go according to plan and failed OR being out there and collecting data on tires, aero and other things?

Maybe you should ask yourself what the objective of this test is... is it to simply show up in Melbourne with a car that can do the 300km or is it to compete for podiums and be among the fastest? If it's the former, then yes, absolutely, McLaren are on the best path of finding all niggles and such by a process of elimination. If it's the latter, well, they have a very steep mountain to climb with 2 days in the bin already.

And no, this isn't bashing. It's a matter of perspective. If the objective is to compete against the top 3 (position 1 to 6), well, they are battling teams who have the luxury of building on very strong cars from last year. Evolutions. Proven formulas. McLaren has a bit of wildcard. For the first time, they are competing with the same engine as one of their competitors (RB) and this year, their chassis and aero will be measured against their competitors without the fall back of blaming it on the engine. Yet they also have the disadvantage of having to meet new packaging demands, a new engine, a new and unknown component. If you ask me, it's crucial for McLaren to get as much right as possible, as early as possible. Losing track time is anything but ideal.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

carisi2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 00:23
GoranF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
For pace?
lio007 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Why?
Yes.They seem to be ironing some things out. Ferrari and Mercedes are confident.
They did 105 laps the first day and 67 on day 2 even with time out early to fix a fuel leak for a total of 172 laps. Red Bull like everybody else are just finding the cold weather a bit difficult to deal with. Oh and they were only 0.3 second off the mercedes on the same tyre. Maybe in 2019 F1 testing will head to jerez where it is 10+ degree's warmer.

If anybody is struggling it is Force India, Haas and Mclaren. None of those teams have cracked 100 laps as of yet. Mclaren have had a wheel nut come off, burning body work caused by a broken clip and were only 0.001 second faster then red bull on a hypersoft vs medium for the red bull. Not that performance is a tell at this stage of testing.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Are people seriously comparing times. The top guys will do 1.15's, times are completely irrelevant with these temperatures. The only thing they can really check at the moment is aero. Engine reliability with these temperatures don't say much either. McLaren should feel lucky that they are being hit by these problems on these cold days. With the technology's the teams have these days I highly doubt that there will be fundamental problems with the design of the cars.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

RonDennis wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 01:19
Are people seriously comparing times. The top guys will do 1.15's, times are completely irrelevant with these temperatures. The only thing they can really check at the moment is aero. Engine reliability with these temperatures don't say much either. McLaren should feel lucky that they are being hit by these problems on these cold days. With the technology's the teams have these days I highly doubt that there will be fundamental problems with the design of the cars.
except for the wheelnuts :wink:

RonDennis
RonDennis

johnny comelately wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 01:44
RonDennis wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 01:19
except for the wheelnuts :wink:
According to Boullier it was fitted wrongly.

RonDennis wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 01:57

According to Boullier it was fitted wrongly.
That sounds familiar. Did it contribute to their good lap time? :lol:

PhillipM
PhillipM

Anyone that goes testing for days and doesn't have *any* issues is in just as bad a position as someone who's had a few that they've managed to solve. Because it means they haven't pushed the design side hard enough.

PhillipM wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 02:13
Anyone that goes testing for days and doesn't have *any* issues is in just as bad a position as someone who's had a few that they've managed to solve. Because it means they haven't pushed the design side hard enough.
Or they installed everything correctly lol

It's just funny because of what happened with Button several years back and the amazing lap he put in lol. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. If stuff like this continues next week then it is more worrying.

PlatinumZealot

French build quality spreading to other parts of the car!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028