Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Whats the little T wing above the exhaust in that pic? It looks like it is mounted off the back of the rear wing pylon/drs arm...

PlatinumZealot

Craigy wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 02:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 01:30
They moved the ERS cooler and put the filter in its position it seems.
If you wanted a filter, why would it not be the length of the airbox intake pipe, diagonally traversing it?

You could have a 400mm long filter if you wanted.
Pressure loss reached minimum returns more likely. No need to go bigger.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Blackout

Compared to 017 RB and Renault (purple = air filter zone , blue = 2017 intake manifold/plenum) but you know that.
So both are much lower.
(I'm not saying this design is revolutionary or anything, it's just (very) different from 2017 and the emptiness it creates under the compressors air duct/box is quite unique :P what
The 2017 Renault plenum was unique and high though.

lio007

This guy is unbelievable...the other day he said reliability first, even if they have to compromise performance and now this...they are already considering strategic grid penalties:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... 09578/?s=1

gandharva

lio007 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:12
This guy is unbelievable...the other day he said reliability first, even if they have to compromise performance and now this...they are already considering strategic grid penalties:
I think this is partly because of Horner. RBR wants to be competetive and they need a strong engine for this. Also last year has shown them that taking strategic penalties does not hurt them much.

BrunoH
BrunoH

its what happens when you find that Honda has more power than they do... so they are the worst engine power wise now...otherwise they wold stay as planned...

Andres125sx

lio007 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 18:12
Did you read the link?
The target this year is to start the season first reliably, and which will allow us to make use of the full potential of the engine, something which we were not capable of doing last year
But again the key message, the fact of being reliable opens up more options in terms of performance. You cannot [separate] performance and reliability, the two go together.

When you work on reliability, you actually work on performance also

djones
djones

I think only a complete idiot would NOT use strategic grid penalties.

A small grid drop in exchange for running more power at every race.

The rules are completely stupid to not cover this off. If they want people to use only 3 engines, the penalty needs to be much stronger.

For example a 10 place grid drop at ALL races where a new (over the 3 limit) engine is used.

zoroastar

djones wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:21
I think only a complete idiot would NOT use strategic grid penalties.

A small grid drop in exchange for running more power at every race.

The rules are completely stupid to not cover this off. If they want people to use only 3 engines, the penalty needs to be much stronger.

For example a 10 place grid drop at ALL races where a new (over the 3 limit) engine is used.
my god, dont give them any ideas. 3 per season is an idiotic rule to begin with, and the only reason it hasnt been changed is that mercedes and ferrari want to keep their gap to redbull mclaren and renault. so much for more competition as long as the best teams have veto powers. these turbo hybrid years have to be one of the worst thought out eras (errors) in the sport.

carisi2k

Renault should be looking at Monza for that grid penalty. Honda should also look at taking the grid penalty at Monza as well as Ferrari teams. Doing so would mean having fresh power for monza and less grid drops with only Force India and Williams most likely to not take penalties. Renault teams might even take an extra fresh engine at Mexico for the high altitude.

I think it makes sense to talk about such things.

etusch

carisi2k wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 21:36
Renault should be looking at Monza for that grid penalty. Honda should also look at taking the grid penalty at Monza as well as Ferrari teams. Doing so would mean having fresh power for monza and less grid drops with only Force India and Williams most likely to not take penalties. Renault teams might even take an extra fresh engine at Mexico for the high altitude.

I think it makes sense to talk about such things.
+1
I think finishing season with 4 or 5 Pu is not bad if performance will be better to allow team to finish races even if 1 place upper. You will just loose 2 race but every other race you will be 1 place upper, it is good. Monza is best for one and teams can choose one more track which they expect to be poor at all.

roon
roon

Blackout wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 09:29
Compared to 017 RB and Renault (purple = air filter zone , blue = 2017 intake manifold/plenum) but you know that.
So both are much lower.
(I'm not saying this design is revolutionary or anything, it's just (very) different from 2017 and the emptiness it creates under the compressors air duct/box is quite unique :P what
https://servimg.com/view/14795526/2171
The VIG & plenum have changed considerably, it would seem, if we compare to Mac's 2018 installation.

carisi2k

roon wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 04:39
Blackout wrote:
So both are much lower.
The VIG & plenum have changed considerably, it would seem, if we compare to Mac's 2018 installation.
Mclaren's installation looks to be significantly different to the Red bull and Renault installation.

carisi2k

Blackout wrote:
So both are much lower.
Maybe Renault has brought some performance in packaging if not in actual outright power then. Certainly on the videos I have seen the RB14 seems to be quite quick through the corners and the RS18 is not too bad either.

Thunder

carisi2k wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 06:21

Mclaren's installation looks to be significantly different to the Red bull and Renault installation.
Have we seen the 2ß18 Renault and Red Bull Installation? Seriously Interested, since i seemed to have missed it.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum