2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

i am pretty please how things have gone. i reckon there more to come from this honda unit, this according to them a testing spec , the final spec if no break downs will be more powerful. according to hartley the engine is more powerful than renault and it is reflected on the timing screen reguraly ahead of any renault runners.

HPD

techman wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:00
i am pretty please how things have gone. i reckon there more to come from this honda unit, this according to them a testing spec , the final spec if no break downs will be more powerful. according to hartley the engine is more powerful than renault and it is reflected on the timing screen reguraly ahead of any renault runners.
Hartley only had access to old, detuned Renault PUs as far as I know. So in my mind that's apples and oranges. I would love for them to be level with Renault but I don't see it yet. Let's see where everyone is come Melbourne.

Zynerji

Next week, in warm weather, we will see more of the tale that is to be told this year.

This week, so far, is not representative of true conditions.

techman
techman

Hartley only had access to old, detuned Renault PUs as far as I know. So in my mind that's apples and oranges. I would love for them to be level with Renault but I don't see it yet. Let's see where everyone is come Melbourne.

TR knows how much power renault had end of last season , hartley has no reason to lie. TR was nearly a second slower to redbull last year. and also comparing teams is also comparing apples and oranges too. you can the same engine with different chassis and you will find the gap over a second different from each other . just hard to compare only dyno values are the true test of how much bhp the engine has.

techman wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 02:28

TR knows how much power renault had end of last season , hartley has no reason to lie. TR was nearly a second slower to redbull last year. and also comparing teams is also comparing apples and oranges too. you can the same engine with different chassis and you will find the gap over a second different from each other . just hard to compare only dyno values are the true test of how much bhp the engine has.
I'm not talking about TR. Hartley was mentioned and I only stated the facts. He didn't step into an TR F1 car in anger until the Renault PUs were already at the end of their life cycle, having reliability issues and detuned. Not to mention TR wasn't given the final software update late in 2017 that helped with power and driveability.

Trust me, I want nothing more than for Honda to come good. I'm just not ready to believe that they are better than Renault until I see some data from multiple race weekends suggesting this is the case.

I'm excited how the first 2 days of testing has gone, but that is hardly anything for anyone to hang their hats on. They appear to have good speed and decent lap times, but what can't be argued is so far the PU has been reliable. That is the most important thing right now.

techman
techman

TR wasn't given the final software update late in 2017 that helped with power and driveability.
could you please show me the link to this. prost has gone on record saying they provide all the customer with the same hardware and software updates , it was mentioned in brazil 2017 race. and i believe they do.

techman wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 04:48
TR wasn't given the final software update late in 2017 that helped with power and driveability.
could you please show me the link to this. prost has gone on record saying they provide all the customer with the same hardware and software updates , it was mentioned in brazil 2017 race. and i believe they do.
Ted talked about it in his notebook yday. Let me see if I can find it.

Well it was removed from youtube and Sky stuff is not available to me. He said it in his notebook yesterday and said that was one of the reasons the FIA made a clarification concerning engine modes and software. Several teams were complaining about it last year.

carisi2k

I think that the Honda has to be in the ball park with Renault on power or else the STR13 wouldn't be putting in the similar or better lap times to the other mid field runners. Not only that but it looks to be constantly lapping in those same times which means Honda seem to have fixed there recovery and deployment issues from 2017. They are up there with the bigboys on lap amounts as shown from this sky sports f1 link.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 3810698243

There are so many variables at this point. Teams could be using detuned versions of PUs, there are certainly aero updates to come, the cold temperatures mean the cars aren't working quite like they should. They look competitive in the mid field but looks can be deceiving.

I'm going to keep my expectations low for now and just be happy they have completed 175 laps in 2 days (and have said they could have done more except for the weather) with no known PU issues.

carisi2k

I don't think anybody is using a detuned PU in these temperatures. The teams are not using it's full Q potential for sure but it is testing and so you need to know if the engine is going to break over these 8 days of testing and the STR Honda is matching the straight line speeds and lap times of it's nearest competitors and doing so reliably. Sure you can't tell what the true pecking order is but you can definitely tell who is in trouble and who is doing ok. At the moment it is looking good for Toro Rosso Honda.

techman
techman

i am hoping that TR brings in the developments along with honda. the rate should be quick to catch up. hopefully honda will fund TR

marmer
marmer

No reason to run detunned setup unless you don't have an engine ready and fear a breakdown testing doesn't count for engine allocation

marmer wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 07:59
No reason to run detunned setup unless you don't have an engine ready and fear a breakdown testing doesn't count for engine allocation
When I say detuned I mean not running the full power modes. Using the conservative race and practice modes. I'm not talking about limping around on 50% power.

And the reason not to run at full power is you don't want to stress the engine because you lose a significant portion of testing time if you have to swap a PU. The early test days are important for getting the little bits sorted out, verifying wind tunnel correlation.

GhostF1
GhostF1

My favourite comment on here is "running low downforce setup, that's why they have good top speed".

Whichever hateful person bothered writing that needs to just calm down and enjoy the show as opposed to whining about previous ventures with McLaren.

Toro Rosso and Honda are looking good. A solid two days running so far, I'm sure they are pleased. They've matched McLaren-Hondas fastest test time from last year on the first day and have racked up the laps with both drivers quite happy with the way things are going.
Hartley reckons there is definitely some improvement to come chassis wise over the testing. But all things considered, they are having a great start, that much is undeniable.