2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

I think it's closer to this:

1. Merc - Ferrari
2. RB
3. Renault - Mclaren - FI - Williams - TR
4. Haas - Sauber
Honda!

GoranF1
GoranF1

1 Ferrari
2 Redbull/Mercedes
3 Mclaren
4 Renault
5 Force India
6 Williams(if they had drivers)
7 Haas
8 TR
9 Alfa
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

Come on how do you think haas and williams will be better than Toro Rosso. İn worst case Toro Rosso will be ahead of those 3. Renault obviously better than Mclaren. I expect Toro Rosso 5th or 6th fastest team.

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:04
Come on how do you think haas and williams will be better than Toro Rosso. İn worst case Toro Rosso will be ahead of those 3. Renault obviously better than Mclaren. I expect Toro Rosso 5th or 6th fastest team.
Reno might look better than Mclaren but doesnt have Alonso(yet, next year they will)

amho

Doea anyone knows how was team's long run pace?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Has anyone seen enough of Sauber on track to say how it's behaving? With up to date engines a big bag of money and probably quite a bit of useful information from Ferrari they should be able to make some progress this year...

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:09
etusch wrote:
Reno might look better than Mclaren but doesnt have Alonso(yet, next year they will)
Alonso may finish ahead of Renault drivers (just a possiblity) but renault have 2 good drivers and can finish higher as team point if things don't change remained tests.
Renault was 4th fastest last year too. It is too early but it looks like they will be ahead of midpack.

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:35
GoranF1 wrote:
etusch wrote:
Alonso may finish ahead of Renault drivers (just a possiblity) but renault have 2 good drivers and can finish higher as team point if things don't change remained tests.
Renault was 4th fastest last year too. It is too early but it looks like they will be ahead of midpack.
Maybe in the first half but i fuly expect Mclaren to be ahed of Renault in the 2nd half of 2018.

NathanOlder

etusch wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:35
GoranF1 wrote:
etusch wrote:
Do not underestimate Stoffel Vandoorne! the guy will be mega this year if that Mclaren is reliable.

On the flip side, both Renault drivers are very very good, I think Red Bull, Mercedes, Mclaren and Renault all have equally good driver pairings. Red Bull probably just shade it, but theres nothing really in it. Ferrari need to upgrade Kimi to join the gang.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Jolle wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:04
tinvek wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:00
knowing mclaren's "luck" they'll probably be the only team to discover they had no antifreeze in the car

i feel i can make this comment as i just had a phone call from the ex who's car has frozen because she had no antifreeze in it
Don't know about F1, but in many other racing series the use of antifreeze is forbidden. Just normal water with a minimum of additives (to stop corrosion or give it color to see leaks)
They don't need antifreeze, they run hot water through the engine to warm it up before firing up.

FightingHellPhish
FightingHellPhish

digitalrurouni wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:33
If they don't get extra testing days i am fine with it because it will add some soice to the championship. Thst said 3 engines for 21 races is ridiculous. It should be 3 races per engine if you ask me.
It should be that they can use one engine per race and if changed post quali they go to the back. All they did was trade power R&D for reliability + power R&D.

techman
techman

hard to believe mclaren will get podiums this season , they have cooling issues , here is the link https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1565599744

RZS10

>one of the worst cars towards the end of the 2017 season is suddenly supposed to be able to beat haas williams sauber and maybe other teams after they put the by far worst engine into the back of it

wow.

regarding McL cooling issues ... they literally just have to open up some of the bodywork, no?

Xero

techman wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 01:58
hard to believe mclaren will get podiums this season , they have cooling issues , here is the link https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1565599744
Hard to believe you'll one day stop trolling McLaren fans. #-o

Seems to be an issue with thermal transference rather than thermal efficiency, which may have had a play in the failure of the exhaust clip. Could be they had to bush fix the clip, which in turn is causing thermal transference. Probably never know! What we do know is other Renault teams aren't having issues with similar tight packaging at the rear. Just looks like an huge overreaction from some people to a minor problem, though given the past few years, can't say I didn't expect it.

techman
techman

Seems to be an issue with thermal transference rather than thermal efficiency, which may have had a play in the failure of the exhaust clip. Could be they had to bush fix the clip, which in turn is causing thermal transference. Probably never know! What we do know is other Renault teams aren't having issues with similar tight packaging at the rear. Just looks like an huge overreaction from some people to a minor problem, though given the past few years, can't say I didn't expect it.
iam just pointing out the facts, what others see in the link i gave. If you look at the mclaren inlet not only this year but last years as well. its very tiny size zero concept :D compared to all other renault cars . no wondering they are having cooling issues. it comprises many things. and remember if its overheating in snow. then what will happen if its more hot weather.
>one of the worst cars towards the end of the 2017 season is suddenly supposed to be able to beat haas williams sauber and maybe other teams after they put the by far worst engine into the back of it
well that what we are told by EB and alonso and zak, mclaren chassis is one the best better than redbull and with a different engine podiums are the result. so they decided to bring an evolution of their chassis . so let see if its true