HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Magnussen said, it is distracting him ( a bit ) in fast combinations.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Formula Wrong

pista wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:31
Pulling the driver out with his seat in case of an accident and injury must be quite hard job nowadays, or can the rescue workers quickly get rid of the halo somehow?
Yeah, a hydraulic cutting tool can cut through the Halo.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Moose
Moose

pista wrote:
Pulling the driver out with his seat in case of an accident and injury must be quite hard job nowadays, or can the rescue workers quickly get rid of the halo somehow?
Even if they can't - the seats are extractable through the top hole of the halo, complete with driver in them. There's no regression in the ability to extract a driver here.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Formula Wrong wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 02:53
pista wrote:
Yep they have already sorted this by there being a 'jaws of life' at every track.

countersteer
countersteer

More on the Indycar windscreen ...

adrianjordan

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 08:41
Formula Wrong wrote:
pista wrote:
Yep they have already sorted this by there being a 'jaws of life' at every track.
Genuine question out of genuine curiosity: Where is it, or are they, kept? Medical car? Who is trained to use them? How are they powered (Fire Service ones are hydraulic and powered from the tender as I understand it)?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 00:50
Restomaniac wrote:
Formula Wrong wrote:

Genuine question out of genuine curiosity: Where is it, or are they, kept? Medical car? Who is trained to use them? How are they powered (Fire Service ones are hydraulic and powered from the tender as I understand it)?
Medical car with a special trained crew going to all the races.

NathanOlder

I thought they would have a few dotted around the circuit. It would be a good 3min+ from say stavelot before someone is cut out. Lets hope its not an emergency, oh wait #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jjn9128

Nathan I really struggle to see your point of view in all this... Obviously only the trained medics have the jaws of life, not the track marshals. Driver extraction (in the case where it is necessary) is only to be done under the supervision of the FIA doctor. If the halo is deranged in an accident to the point where the jaws are required then the forces involved will be staggering and the driver will likely be in a bad way. I cannot fathom why this is an issue for you?!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

NathanOlder

I just struggle to understand their quest for safety. They only do things as a knee jerk reaction. If they really wanted to make it safer just slow them down, Limit the power. 800bhp cap would make for better racing, closer racing and the cars would look great still. But i guess everyone will say they don't want to see the cars made slower. Well unfortunately the rule changes every year (other than the 17 rules) are generally geared at making the cars slower. The halo is just the best of the bodge jobs. Since when has a bodge job been good enough for f1? At least they had the sense to add a 3rd tether this year. As for Mclarens wheel coming off, nothing can compensate for mclarens alarming rate of amateur mistakes. Did anyone genuinely watch race after race watching behind a pillow and worrying that someone is about to be killed or seriously injured? The halo just doesn't bring enough safety to warrant such a hideous contraption and more and more people are realising how bad it looks now.

Just for a bit of fun has anyone seen how many cars fail MOT's in the past for things obstructing a drivers view. Its deemed dangerous yet F1 use it as a safety feature

I think its just going round in circles so prob best to lock this thread tbh.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:23
adrianjordan wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Cool. I guess it doesn't need the big compressor as it's only gonna need to cut through 2, 3 max, pieces of halo.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 02:43
I thought they would have a few dotted around the circuit. It would be a good 3min+ from say stavelot before someone is cut out. Lets hope its not an emergency, oh wait #-o
They wouldn't be starting to cut unless Medics deem it necessary...

Also I doubt that timescale as the Medical car does go quite fast. Spa is somewhere between 4 and 5 miles long from memory. Let's estimate that Stavelot is 3.5 miles in. You're assuming the medical car is only going to average just over 60 mph??

I'd average more than that in my RRV at work on country roads free of traffic, and that's only a bog standard Octavia Scout.

Jolle
Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 19:07
Jolle wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:23
adrianjordan wrote:

Cool. I guess it doesn't need the big compressor as it's only gonna need to cut through 2, 3 max, pieces of halo.
Indeed. Just like at road accidents, stabilize the patient in the car as much as possible, cut off the roof and extract him with the seat as possible.

NathanOlder

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 19:12
NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 02:43
They wouldn't be starting to cut unless Medics deem it necessary...

Also I doubt that timescale as the Medical car does go quite fast. Spa is somewhere between 4 and 5 miles long from memory. Let's estimate that Stavelot is 3.5 miles in. You're assuming the medical car is only going to average just over 60 mph??

I'd average more than that in my RRV at work on country roads free of traffic, and that's only a bog standard Octavia Scout.
A touring car would average about 100mph. So a medical car with a load more weight, multiple people, equipment and probably not racing tyres would average way lower.

Plus you have to consider the time between the accident and the medical car being launched. 20seconds+ ? So i stick to my 3min+ estimate.

Edit. Just looked at the specs the Medical car is 500bhp and about 2tonnes fully loaded.

A WTCC Car is 400bhp and 1100kg including driver.

So the Medical won't get anywhere near the WTCC average speed of just over 100mph.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 12:41
I just struggle to understand their quest for safety. They only do things as a knee jerk reaction. If they really wanted to make it safer just slow them down, Limit the power. 800bhp cap would make for better racing, closer racing and the cars would look great still. But i guess everyone will say they don't want to see the cars made slower. Well unfortunately the rule changes every year (other than the 17 rules) are generally geared at making the cars slower. The halo is just the best of the bodge jobs. Since when has a bodge job been good enough for f1? At least they had the sense to add a 3rd tether this year. As for Mclarens wheel coming off, nothing can compensate for mclarens alarming rate of amateur mistakes. Did anyone genuinely watch race after race watching behind a pillow and worrying that someone is about to be killed or seriously injured? The halo just doesn't bring enough safety to warrant such a hideous contraption and more and more people are realising how bad it looks now.

Just for a bit of fun has anyone seen how many cars fail MOT's in the past for things obstructing a drivers view. Its deemed dangerous yet F1 use it as a safety feature

I think its just going round in circles so prob best to lock this thread tbh.
TBH it's only going around in circles because everytime a POV about why halo is a terrible idea is put to rest another 'reason' is found.

Let us be honest here would you agree that the real main reason for the anti-halo feeling is how it looks? However again being honest the current F1 cars are ugly as sin anyway as around the sidepods and bargeboards they are a total mess.
In fact when the new cars appeared my eyes were drawn to the messy sides of the cars and not what was on top.