2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Mangalhit

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Ofc they don't want to show their hands, if other teams find out their car is fast they will also make a fast car to counter it. /s

I know every one dismisses lap times but if you compare the order of the fast laps in last years tests with the order in Melbourne you'll see they correlate pretty well

F1Krof

max_speed wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:30
DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:27
I just wonder why McLaren doesn't seem to be using the harder compounds as everyone else. Doing similar times using three compounds softer can be deceiving.
may be they don't want to show their hands yet (assuming they have something to show off).
Going soft doesn't necessarily mean faster. Especially in this type of track with high speed corners and high downforce. They overheat very quickly and loose time in the latter part of the track, whereas Harder compounds are harder to bring to temperature but are more stable.

I wouldn't read too much on the timesheets. All and all, McLaren & especially Renault seem to have made a huge step forward. That 4th position is going to be interesting I believe this year. Renault McLaren & never ever count off Force India, and this is all assuming the top three haven't lost performance during this winter. But I am confident we're going to see McLaren & Renault on podium often then one might believe. (MY OPINION)
Wroom wroom

dren

Yes, especially after the second test. The first test isn't always indicative. What we are seeing is a tight midfield so far.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

Mclaren desperate to top the times. They just arent structuring their runs to understand the tyres or car. Its not looking great for them although they will have a new package come australia but at least try and understand the setup.

I think all teams are running the engine on race maps and not detuned as most people think. Of course they can still turn the wick up but why would they wait till a Gp to run the engine on normal parameters and find out issues. Thats what testing is for.

mclaren111

I think they are using the hyper softs to offset the cold conditions and check car's balance and lapping as fast as possible.
Last edited by mclaren111 on 01 Mar 2018, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoBrand

Call me crazy, but I'm finally starting to like those engine sounds.

mclaren111

DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:48
Wait for TV to spoil that :? :?

Avocado
Avocado

McMika98 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:41
Mclaren desperate to top the times. They just arent structuring their runs to understand the tyres or car. Its not looking great for them although they will have a new package come australia but at least try and understand the setup.

I think all teams are running the engine on race maps and not detuned as most people think. Of course they can still turn the wick up but why would they wait till a Gp to run the engine on normal parameters and find out issues. Thats what testing is for.
Wake up, you're dreaming.

NathanOlder

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:49
DiogoBrand wrote:
100%

The cars have sounded pretty good for a while now. 2015 I was at the winter test in Barcelona and they surprised me how loud and good they sounded, when the first race came around in Melbourne, they sounded poor again. How can the sound be lost over TV so easily! Sort it out FOM
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GoranF1
GoranF1

i read on 3 different Spanish sites that Alonso will soon replace Vandoorne but nothing official from Mclaren yet!?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

NathanOlder

Lewis now in the car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

DiogoBrand

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:49
DiogoBrand wrote:
I thought exactly the same: the sound on TV is absolutely awful. Here in Brazil sometimes the broadcasts are so bad you can't even hear the engines, it's like they're on mute.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

I think it's not appropriate to condemn McLaren's performance because they prefer a different tyre.
Even if it meant to top the timesheets, we are still missing crucial information about car's performance.
It seems like some people are desperate to write off Mc😉

Mansell89
Mansell89

McLarens most important stat today is the lap count. 93 and counting- massively valuable information for them.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Franz Tost explained track temps, tires and testing in Barcelona in February and given that teams pre order tires we should really stop watching who is using what tires.
Maybe, just maybe, towards end of week, if track conditions will be ok, we will si some "quali" runs.