2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Big Mangalhit wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:38
Ofc they don't want to show their hands, if other teams find out their car is fast they will also make a fast car to counter it. /s

I know every one dismisses lap times but if you compare the order of the fast laps in last years tests with the order in Melbourne you'll see they correlate pretty well
yes testing in the new Turbo era has generally gone like that, in the V8 era it wasn't however.

as you pointed out however, the correlation is with the fastest laps from test... not fastest laps after day 1, 2, 3 or even day 4!

mclaren111

DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:09
mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:49
DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:48
Call me crazy, but I'm finally starting to like those engine sounds.
Wait for TV to spoil that :? :?
I thought exactly the same: the sound on TV is absolutely awful. Here in Brazil sometimes the broadcasts are so bad you can't even hear the engines, it's like they're on mute.
Same here in South Africa :evil: :evil:

godlameroso

Vandoorne isn't getting replaced, there's still a whole week of testing left. All of next week will have good weather, track temperatures will be high enough to get the compounds working as they should, ambients will be room temperature.

Week 1 is always systems checks and validation work, teams aren't trying to set lap times although they're not going slow. The first 2 days of next week will be tire work, then the last two days will be performance.

In other news, Go McLaren, and Gasley isn't doing bad, quite frankly I said it last year, McLaren shouldn't have left Honda, but that's water under the bridge at this point. I hope they both do well.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

GoranF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:05
i read on 3 different Spanish sites that Alonso will soon replace Vandoorne but nothing official from Mclaren yet!?
would they really want to wast time today setting up the car for Alonso? i believe it takes around an hour. I doubt Alonso will be too upset he has done less laps, still 4 more days to go yet

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

godlameroso wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:26
Vandoorne isn't getting replaced, there's still a whole week of testing left. All of next week will have good weather, track temperatures will be high enough to get the compounds working as they should, ambients will be room temperature.

Week 1 is always systems checks and validation work, teams aren't trying to set lap times although they're not going slow. The first 2 days of next week will be tire work, then the last two days will be performance.

In other news, Go McLaren, and Gasley isn't doing bad, quite frankly I said it last year, McLaren shouldn't have left Honda, but that's water under the bridge at this point. I hope they both do well.
Out of curiosity, are you a fan of Honda in the sense that you'll back TR this year?

Morteza

AMuS reports Renault are changing the battery on the car before handing it to Sainz
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bauc

And....100 laps for Vandoorne ... Finally!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RZS10

According to AMuS Ferrari was running with flo viz, couldn't find any pics so far though ... and they just wrote Vettel blew past Vandoorne on the straight
Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:19
I think it's not appropriate to condemn McLaren's performance because they prefer a different tyre.
I think most of those posts are weak bait ... i'm surprised to see those kind of posts in forum sections with voting, they're usually more prevalent in race threads which don't have it ... it's really noticeable how certain forum members barely post outside the main season

Morteza

RZS10 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:46
According to AMuS Ferrari was running with flo viz, couldn't find any pics so far though ... and they just wrote Vettel blew past Vandoorne on the straight
You mean like these?

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:33
godlameroso wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you a fan of Honda in the sense that you'll back TR this year?
Of course, I only own a shop that specializes in Hondas, currently own 4 Hondas, going on 5. I like Honda, but I like McLaren too, not that I can afford one, hell I usually only drink water, but I tried a Red Bull cola just because I associate Red Bull with Honda now.
Saishū kōnā

gibells
gibells

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:25
DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:09
mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:49

Wait for TV to spoil that :? :?
I thought exactly the same: the sound on TV is absolutely awful. Here in Brazil sometimes the broadcasts are so bad you can't even hear the engines, it's like they're on mute.
Same here in South Africa :evil: :evil:
I witnessed testing the cars in '14 & '15 in Jerez. There are so many sounds that come from the engine. Pops/wheezes/ bangs, caused from who knows what. It's such an interesting sound. And like we're all saying, they currently just can't do it justice.

It's like they need mics in different places in the engine bay to pick up what you hear from the outside of the car. I'm not asking for LM to artificially enhance the sounds, just replicate them properly [-o<

Morteza

From AMuS: Fernando Alonso will take over the McLaren MCL33 later for the last 2 hours of today's testing session.

RZS10

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:56
You mean like these?
Are those from their gallery? I quickly clicked through it and must have missed them if that's the case ... thanks

Unfortunately those are too low res to see anything

bauc

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:05
From AMuS: Fernando Alonso will take over the McLaren MCL33 later for the last 2 hours of today's testing session.
Yes, there is a confirmation.

Good news for ALO, I just don't like the fact that they will loose an hour maybe of running while making the needed changes
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

the EDGE
the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:59
Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:33
godlameroso wrote:

Of course, I only own a shop that specializes in Hondas, currently own 4 Hondas, going on 5. I like Honda, but I like McLaren too, not that I can afford one, hell I usually only drink water, but I tried a Red Bull cola just because I associate Red Bull with Honda now.
I can see how that must have been hard for you. As a McLaren fan I once thought they made the wrong decision and should have stuck it out with Honda. However I know look at it like this...

Chances are, Honda will get it right this year, but I honestly think at best they will match Renault, not surpass. So for the same reward McLaren had a choice, take a risk with Honda or choose a dead cert with Renault. That means then the decision really came down to stick with Honda's resources and take the risk on having yet another wasted year or back a proven horse and do without Honda's resources

We could speculate we would have made different a different decision to them, but unless your in their position and the consequences are real.. you can not possibly know for sure