2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Snorked
Snorked

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Looks like they were testing different cooling with the venting - so Marca was right? :o

Van running 12 vents, Alonso 16:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Teams use different cooling solutions thoroughly the season as some races are very hot & others very cold. They usually try several variations in testing. Nothing unusual

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 09:30
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIvv9hXcAAYzsk.jpg:large

They have changed the Blue on the FW & RW.

It now starts with a light blue to the dark blue.

I like it more.
rather the effect of the metallic of the paint and sunlight. they don't change paint like that during testing without actually changing the fw or rear wing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McHonda
McHonda

Much better day today and doesn't sound like the cooling issue is an issue at all but more of a nuisance so looking forward to next week.

Lucky
Lucky

GoranF1
GoranF1

16:40 Alonso sets two personal best sectors, but then ends the lap a second adrift of his best
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Abarth

There is a pattern in the top speeds, in both the finish line and the max speed trap.
All Ferrari and Mercedes powered teams are faster than the fastest Renault powered car. Of course, aero configuration and tow/no tow play an important role, but the statistical pattern seems to be pretty clear :/

Postmoe

Abarth wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:11
There is a pattern in the top speeds, in both the finish line and the max speed trap.
All Ferrari and Mercedes powered teams are faster than the fastest Renault powered car. Of course, aero configuration and tow/no tow play an important role, but the statistical pattern seems to be pretty clear :/
I tend to concur, but this is a good example for the motto “correlation doesn’t imply causation”, as those three Renault powered cars are also traditional high downforce teams somehow. They are also three teams consistently praised by their stability in corners these days (with the addition of Ferrari) and they have also been sitting towards the top in the (not very important) time sheets, so, as always, something multifactorial.

For me the interesting data gravitates around Toro Rosso.

cyclon

GoranF1 wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:09
16:40 Alonso sets two personal best sectors, but then ends the lap a second adrift of his best
Hide and seek ! 8)
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Abarth

Postmoe wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:59
[...]this is a good example for the motto “correlation doesn’t imply causation”, as those three Renault powered cars are also traditional high downforce teams somehow. [...]

For me the interesting data gravitates around Toro Rosso.
Can't disagree with those statements...

GoranF1
GoranF1

According to every single analysis out there Mclaren is behind Mercedes, Ferrari, RB and Renault, some say even worse. What the hell went wrong this time?
I think its the budget.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

GoranF1 wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:52
According to every single analysis out there Mclaren is behind Mercedes, Ferrari, RB and Renault, some say even worse. What the hell went wrong this time?
I think its the budget.
Probably back somewhere in the 72 pages in here it has been discussed, but are there opinions regarding the change of leadership with Big Ron out? my thoughts are the team has only gone sideways.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

johnny comelately wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:57
GoranF1 wrote:
I think its the budget.
Probably back somewhere in the 72 pages in here it has been discussed, but are there opinions regarding the change of leadership with Big Ron out? my thoughts are the team has only gone sideways.
Interestingly, James Allen seems to think that the MCL33 is aerodynamically sound, said they could bridge the gap to Red Bull.
He seems very impressed with what they've put out. Mclaren have been running the softer compounds more than others. I doubt if it's about setting headline times. I feel they're opting to do things a bit differently. Next week should give a clearer picture.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 12:50
johnny comelately wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
I think its the budget.
Interestingly, James Allen seems to think that the MCL33 is aerodynamically sound, said they could bridge the gap to Red Bull.
He seems very impressed with what they've put out. Mclaren have been running the softer compounds more than others. I doubt if it's about setting headline times. I feel they're opting to do things a bit differently. Next week should give a clearer picture.
Mclaren's tyre simulation showed that the hyper soft was the best tyre for the temps.

Also I can't remember where I read it (BBC maybe) but because of such cold temps the medium tyre was actually one of the fastest performance wise and having anything softer didn't really gain you anything.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Singabule
Singabule

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 12:50
johnny comelately wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
I think its the budget.
MCL 33 is refinement from MCL 32 that good in aero. However MCL tend to sacrifice other things to gain aero. That May (often) backfire. Remember their mushroom suspension? Gain in diffuser, but bad in drag and stiffness. Size zero? Wing of Justice? No slot floor?