McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose
Moose

Re: McLaren MCL33

Those examples are less than half the size of McLaren's.

the EDGE
the EDGE

looks like the Halo fairing tip is a little hand clinging on for dear life :lol: maybe that's why they had the duct tap :lol: :lol:

KingHamilton01

Hope McLaren can bring some of the Melbourne spec earlier, car is so basic aero-wise! I understand they wanted to see what they have with the renault engine but they need to start adding to this car and push it forward otherwise might not be where they want to be come first race.

Everything to be updated on the car, front wing, rear wing and bargeboards along with any updates to winglet's placed around the car. We also are awaiting the S-duct to comeback to the car as we know it will feature given the inlet under the nose. So hopefully we will see at least some updates coming to the car in test 2!
McLaren Mercedes

DFX
DFX

KingHamilton01 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 20:14
Hope McLaren can bring some of the Melbourne spec earlier, car is so basic aero-wise! I understand they wanted to see what they have with the renault engine but they need to start adding to this car and push it forward otherwise might not be where they want to be come first race.

Everything to be updated on the car, front wing, rear wing and bargeboards along with any updates to winglet's placed around the car. We also are awaiting the S-duct to comeback to the car as we know it will feature given the inlet under the nose. So hopefully we will see at least some updates coming to the car in test 2!
I think that the car visual is a little misleading. There are a lot of complex things going on the floor, bargeboards and suspensions on the mclaren. That being said this is probably only the basis so they can correlate with their aero data to enable them to develop further, last year was difficult to gather information to develop further because they were not driving in the speeds they were suppose to, so some aero parts could work differently in higher speeds.

RonDennis
RonDennis

KingHamilton01 wrote:

Yeah, because running as many tiny wings as possible equal performance. :lol:

McLaren says the MCL33 is an evolution of the 2017 chassis, and it does look very well detailed in all of the critical downforce-producing areas. The team also stated a few weeks ago that the design philosophy was going to be about producing a car with stable aerodynamics, allowing the drivers to get the confidence to push to the limit in all circumstances. Both of these are very positive statements, and although the McLaren orange colour scheme won't do much for its overall performance, that also looks good.
From what I can see, McLaren has done a first-class job. There are lots of bits in all the right places, but only the team knows if it has got the best from them or if more development is required. I think with the Renault power unit package, McLaren is back on the right path.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 18:37
Your point being?

Just check the last picture by Morteza. You can clearly see two supports along the length of the slots. It's carbon fiber, I don't see the issue here.

zioture
zioture

Test Barcellona day4

all photos here http://www.newsf1.it/formula-1-test-bar ... oto-day-4/

Moose
Moose

Jef Patat wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 21:36
Moose wrote:
Your point being?

Just check the last picture by Morteza. You can clearly see two supports along the length of the slots. It's carbon fiber, I don't see the issue here.
My point being that the longer you make things, the harder it is to make them stiff.

Xero

KingHamilton01 wrote:

Same was said last year, both with McLaren and Red Bull, and they ended up with 2 fundamentally sound chassis.

I remember saying this last year too... I'd be more concerned if there were lots of bits and pieces hanging off the car everywhere, as it suggests fine-tuning to correct bad airflow (so to speak). If you get it fundamentally working better without them, then you have more room to build upon and fine-tune with bigger and better gains.

DiogoBrand

Xero wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 23:32
KingHamilton01 wrote:

Same was said last year, both with McLaren and Red Bull, and they ended up with 2 fundamentally sound chassis.

I remember saying this last year too... I'd be more concerned if there were lots of bits and pieces hanging off the car everywhere, as it suggests fine-tuning to correct bad airflow (so to speak). If you get it fundamentally working better without them, then you have more room to build upon and fine-tune with bigger and better gains.
I don't think last year's McLaren and Red Bull are good examples. Red Bull had know issues with their aero development, and we'll never know how good McLaren's chassis really was because of the power unit.

The best examples are probably Ferrari and Mercedes. They didn't do anything radical from last year on this season's cars, just a simple evolution, as is the case with McLaren as well. You only need a revolution if your car is dog crap, otherwise you can just refine what's already good.

People need to stop thinking that the more bits and pieces and winglets and gizmos you bolt to the car, the faster you go. History has shown us that very often that's not the case.

RonDennis
RonDennis

DiogoBrand wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 00:02
Xero wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 23:32
KingHamilton01 wrote:

I don't think last year's McLaren and Red Bull are good examples. Red Bull had know issues with their aero development, and we'll never know how good McLaren's chassis really was because of the power unit.

The best examples are probably Ferrari and Mercedes. They didn't do anything radical from last year on this season's cars, just a simple evolution, as is the case with McLaren as well. You only need a revolution if your car is dog crap, otherwise you can just refine what's already good.

People need to stop thinking that the more bits and pieces and winglets and gizmos you bolt to the car, the faster you go. History has shown us that very often that's not the case.
Indeed, McLaren just want a good baseline, which will help with future updates. The more bits and pieces you add, the narrower the performance window is going to be, although I don't agree that the McLaren is a very basic car.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 22:40
Jef Patat wrote:
Moose wrote:
Your point being?

My point being that the longer you make things, the harder it is to make them stiff.
This.

They are already using two metallic connectors per slot, showing that there is quite a force to be dealt with. With those connectors (which are visible from underneath) it is necessary to make 3 cuts into the carbon fibre (to make the periphery one continous line):

Starting from the front of the car:
between start of the slot and first connector
between first and second connector
between second connector and the end

Tis would lead to short pieces some of them only held by the small connector.

I wonder how McLaren is going to make it legal. It's surely going to be an interesting solution.

Edit: Not very nicely drawn picture of the necessary cuts due to the connectors.

makecry
makecry

KingHamilton01 wrote:

How do you even decide what's "basic"? Aerodynamics doesnt work like that. Anyway, MCL33 is no where "basic" if i look at it the way you are looking at it. Rear wing is the most "complex" of anyone else, FW philosophy has proven to be working as expected, the bargeboard area is a work of art.

You are saying the car is "basic" just because it doesnt a million small winglets all over the car. As I said, Aero doesnt work like that.

By that definition the Sauber seems highly developed? Lol, lap times matter, looks dont.

DiogoBrand

McMrocks wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:02
Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 22:40
Jef Patat wrote:

Your point being?

This.

They are already using two metallic connectors per slot, showing that there is quite a force to be dealt with. With those connectors (which are visible from underneath) it is necessary to make 3 cuts into the carbon fibre (to make the periphery one continous line):

Starting from the front of the car:
between start of the slot and first connector
between first and second connector
between second connector and the end

Tis would lead to short pieces some of them only held by the small connector.

I wonder how McLaren is going to make it legal. It's surely going to be an interesting solution.

Edit: Not very nicely drawn picture of the necessary cuts due to the connectors.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/ef40 ... 946300.jpg
I'm not sure you need a slot between each support. There may be some loophole that allows support pieces without compromising the floor perimeter.

mclaren111

There are new "Flip-ups" left and right of exhaust. Better picture on McLaren website.