[2018] Pecking order speculation thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: [2018] Pecking order speculation thread

TAG wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 17:09
GoranF1 wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 16:04
TAG wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 16:00
Both Vettel and Hamilton will have a good shot at their fifth title, the race threads are going to be fun.
What about Alonso's 3rd?
He may get a win in Singapore with an extremely opportunistic pit stop. 8)
But its not fair that Vettel and Hamilton have 4 Alonso 2, Alonso has more natural talent, he is better
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dans79

gandharva wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:51
Adjusted fastest laptimes (normalised for soft compound tyre) according to Gary Anderson:

1 Red Bull 1m 18.129s
2 Mercedes 1m 18.383s
how in the he** did he come up with this? Both Mercedes and RBR did their fastest laps on mediums, and Mercedes was substantially faster.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13461 ... ng-in-test
Ham - 1:19.333
Ric - 1:20.179
Edit:
Vettel did the fastest time for Ferrari on softs at 1:19.673, yet some how he gains 0.55 when normalizing for softs? :wtf: ](*,)
201 105 104 9 9 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 19:13
gandharva wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:51
Adjusted fastest laptimes (normalised for soft compound tyre) according to Gary Anderson:

1 Red Bull 1m 18.129s
2 Mercedes 1m 18.383s
how in the he** did he come up with this? Both Mercedes and RBR did their fastest laps on mediums, and Mercedes was substantially faster.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13461 ... ng-in-test
Ham - 1:19.333
Ric - 1:20.179
Edit:
Vettel did the fastest time for Ferrari on softs at 1:19.673, yet some how he gains 0.55 when normalizing for softs? :wtf: ](*,)
Exactly what I was going to say before i read your comment. Gary Anderson is crazy. Not sure why Autosport have him around. Surely they can see the rubbish he comes up with.

As for a pecking order

Merc
Ferrari/Red Bull
Renault
Mclaren
Force India
Williams
Toro Rosso
Haas
Sauber
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

techman
techman

pecking order is very interesting and i think mercedes are clear favourites to win. redbull is also strong renault will suprise and so will torro rosso by mid season. a top 10 qual in aus will look like this i think
1 lewis
2 bottas
3 max
4 riccardo
5 vettel
6 kimi
7 sainz
8 ocon
9 hulkenberg
10 gasly

But its not fair that Vettel and Hamilton have 4 Alonso 2, Alonso has more natural talent, he is better
i disagree. alonso couldnt beat lewis in his rookie year. and alonso got beat by button and trulli. so no

Bisonas

IMO Trying to speculate pecking order after this cold/rain/snow affected test is impossible.
Only after race simulations we can analyze and compare the stints to have an idea of what is happening.
So next week we will get an idea. If we are lucky we may see qualifying simulations also.

Regarding the pecking order and not based on on track facts atm, i think Mclaren will be the 4th fastest team.
The size of this company, the resources, the infrastructure, the experience, the engineering know-how, their technological level and their hunger after 3 years in despair, will put them there in this first year with the Renault Engine.
As many said before, there is nowhere to hide now for Mclaren. The stakes are too high if Mclaren fails to deliver that 4th spot.

I just hope Mercedes engine doesn't make some magical leap forward on performance, because if that happens the season will fast loose its interests . It will bad for the fans which makes it bad for the sport.

motobaleno

Of course Gary Anderson retrieved his adjusted laptimes from fuel load estimations and tyre wear primarily and asphalt condition and battery load secondarily.
I do not know if his estimations are good or not. but the logical process is clear and it is not flawed I would say.

aral
aral

Come on guys! This thread is about possible pecking order in 2018, not a lot of "wot ifs" etc for periods of over 10 years ago. Those days are over and done with. Stick to 2018, please.
A number of off topic posts have been removed.

Chuckjr

Just my opinion here folks. Feel free to flush...but please flush twice as it's a long way to your local politicians office.

No idea why people think the Macca will be so slow. I would not be surprised if it was faster than the RB. Speaking of which...I pick RB to finish 4th and the top three a wash.

1. - 2.Ferrari
2. - 1. McLaren
3. - 1. Mercedes
4. Red Bull
5. Williams
6. Renault
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Toro Rosso
10. Sauber

I think Alonso will pull more from the Macca than what thought humanly possible -- ala Schumacher 1996-97.

Pesky, unruly chassis will plague the Merc and Red Bull balance slowing development progression initially. Their drivers will be taking points off each other every race compounding the problem. Both will finish strong but it will likely be too late for Merc.

Have a great season everybody. May the best man win -- and not because of a ridiculous engine advantage, but from actually winning on merit, skill set, cunning, mind games/intimidation. #DareToDream
Watching F1 since 1986.

Mansell89
Mansell89

One gets the impression that the RBR Renault relationship is nearing its end and therefore I can see Red Bull being given updates late etc and just get an awkward and frosty deal, a la how McLaren felt with Mercedes in 2014.

Merc and Ferrari will be 1 and 2- I don’t think it’s nailed on that RBR will find themselves 3rd row and expect McLaren, Renault, and Williams to give them problems, dependant on track type.

NutritionFact

Today i read a interview somebody @ renault said merc and ferrari at a other level, this teams will win 1. GP.

Im looking for the source..
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

zoroastar

alonso will find a way to be in the title fight until at least the last 4 races.
top 3 - mercedes, mclaren, ferrari. not necessarily in that order.

zoroastar

NutritionFact wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 00:56
Today i read a interview somebody @ renault said merc and ferrari at a other level, this teams will win 1. GP.

Im looking for the source..
i think it was carlos sainz

http://www.f1reader.com/news/sainz-merc ... ary-190728
Last edited by zoroastar on 04 Mar 2018, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

TAG

Bisonas wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 11:49
I just hope Mercedes engine doesn't make some magical leap forward on performance, because if that happens the season will fast loose its interests .
It's F1Tecnical, not F1Magical. It's because of that that I'd love a team to continue to push the technology envelope, if other teams can't keep up, that's their problem. Fanaticals are the ones that lose interest. Fans of technology are the ones that rejoice.

The F1 wheel has always turned, This one's on top and that one's on top and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

TAG wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:02
Bisonas wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 11:49
I just hope Mercedes engine doesn't make some magical leap forward on performance, because if that happens the season will fast loose its interests .
It's F1Tecnical, not F1Magical. It's because of that that I'd love a team to continue to push the technology envelope, if other teams can't keep up, that's their problem. Fanaticals are the ones that lose interest. Fans of technology are the ones that rejoice.

https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 092015.jpg

The F1 wheel has always turned, This one's on top and that one's on top and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground.
Plus, i love to see the legends forming! How many of us want to have seen Fangio, Clark and Senna qualify and race live! And the amazing fight here on F1Technical! That was because of their natural talent, zeal, drive and constant striving to get to the top and stay there forever, which is success flowing.

Most of us have only heard of their racing skills. Some of us have had the good fortune of witnessing (directly or indirectly) the legend of Michael form, week after week. In between there were couple of years where the racing was boring for some, but we saw the rise of a legend.

We Saw the "McLaren years", "Ferrari years" and we saw the "Red Bull years" and now we are seeing "Mercedes years". It's such a good fortune to witness the genius of a group and to witness the genius of individuals.

I don't have problem of dominance of a team or an individual. It's up to others to chase and overtake. What I would like to see, is what happened last year. Despite Mercedes not having gone down, the Ferrari rose up to the challenge. Others should do so, rather than Mercedes stopping or gong down, just to get a competition. That sucks.

senja
senja

Chuckjr wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 22:09
Just my opinion here folks. Feel free to flush...but please flush twice as it's a long way to your local politicians office.

No idea why people think the Macca will be so slow. I would not be surprised if it was faster than the RB. Speaking of which...I pick RB to finish 4th and the top three a wash.

1. - 2.Ferrari
2. - 1. McLaren
3. - 1. Mercedes
4. Red Bull
5. Williams
6. Renault
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Toro Rosso
10. Sauber

I think Alonso will pull more from the Macca than what thought humanly possible -- ala Schumacher 1996-97.

Pesky, unruly chassis will plague the Merc and Red Bull balance slowing development progression initially. Their drivers will be taking points off each other every race compounding the problem. Both will finish strong but it will likely be too late for Merc.

Have a great season everybody. May the best man win -- and not because of a ridiculous engine advantage, but from actually winning on merit, skill set, cunning, mind games/intimidation. #DareToDream
I have no idea why people thinks that McLaren would beat Renault... No way that they be even close to Red Bull.