McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: McLaren MCL33

go back to the first page, first pic, it is the frontmost piece of the bargeboard assembly

majki2111

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 08:16
TJ13: 2018 Rules:
Front axle
Ferrari started it. Red Bull, Renault and McLaren have mimicked it. The geometry of the front axle was designed in such a way that the front of the car was lowered in accordance with the steering angle. This ensured that the front wing edges closer to the track, while cornering, which generates more downforce. Since this clearly has an impact on aerodynamics, the FIA ​​put a stop to this technique. Today a car, at a 12 degrees steering angle, isn’t allowed to sink forward more than five millimeters. This will be measured on a purpose build platform.

But experts believe that this ground clearance changes more on the racetrack than it does on the measurement platform, if you just do it skillfully. They think that the geometry of the front suspension of the new McLaren MCL33, which substantiates this suspicion with its extreme placement of the push-rods, is build with such a trick in mind. Charlie Whiting has already commented that if they see that the steering angle in reality exceeds 12 degrees, they will modify the test.
Hope it works !!
Is this from an article or??? How beneficial would it be? Any other team exploiting this?

trinidefender
trinidefender

There has been talk of McLaren's front suspension.

From what I can understand, continuing on from last year, teams used the suspension geometry to lower the front of the car when steering lock is applied. Can anyone fill me in on what exactly is going on or what it is hypothesised to do differently?

Or any pictures that demonstrate this effect or able to point it out on the suspension geometry?

makecry
makecry

trinidefender wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 08:58

From what I can understand, continuing on from last year, teams used the suspension geometry to lower the front of the car when steering lock is applied. Can anyone fill me in on what exactly is going on or what it is hypothesised to do differently?

Or any pictures that demonstrate this effect or able to point it out on the suspension geometry?
I read it on TheJudge13's post. I was not sure how reliable or legit that news it then I realized that TJ13 essentially copy pasted that from AMuS and changed the wording a bit and I think the wording is misleading.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... pfloecher/

https://thejudge13.com/2018/03/02/fia-c ... loopholes/

mclaren111

Thank you.

trinidefender
trinidefender

makecry wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 10:04
trinidefender wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 08:58

I read it on TheJudge13's post. I was not sure how reliable or legit that news it then I realized that TJ13 essentially copy pasted that from AMuS and changed the wording a bit and I think the wording is misleading.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... pfloecher/

https://thejudge13.com/2018/03/02/fia-c ... loopholes/
That's all fine and well, just what I am trying to get at is what about the suspension geometry allows this. All the articles I read say the extreme pushrod angle...however as far as I can tell, the pushrod angle isn't going to have an effect on the geometry as the wheels move will it?

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Any pics of new parts tested during the filming day today?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

trinidefender wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 20:29
That's all fine and well, just what I am trying to get at is what about the suspension geometry allows this. All the articles I read say the extreme pushrod angle...however as far as I can tell, the pushrod angle isn't going to have an effect on the geometry as the wheels move will it?
It's because the pushrod is mounted to the part of the wheel that actually steers/turns, not to the suspension arms.

Rather than trying to explain it myself I'm going to refer to our beloved Craig:
https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-the-mclaren ... 5NxvKyUXEQ
Again, the front suspension is not aggressively high, as with the MCL32, which is better for mechanical grip than aero. Although McLaren’s push rod set up retains the clever geometry used last year. The pushrod is the diagonal suspension member that transfers the loads from the wheel into the springs\dampers mounted inside the chassis.

Rather than mount this to the lower suspension arm, most teams mount it to the upright that steers with wheel. This way the suspension can be affected by steering, usually giving an anti-roll effect. McLaren and other teams have tried a more extreme geometry with the pushrod spaced a long way from the steering axis and aligned so that the ride height changes with steering.

Over the Winter the FIA issued a clarification that more than 5mm of ride height change with steering is not allowed. This was aimed at these extreme pushrod-on-upright designs. McLaren must therefore have arranged theirs so as not to exceed the 5mm change with steering.

GoranF1
GoranF1

tranquility2k4 wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 20:51
Any pics of new parts tested during the filming day today?
New parts are not allowed during 🎥
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

trinidefender
trinidefender

Jef Patat wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 21:10
trinidefender wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 20:29
It's because the pushrod is mounted to the part of the wheel that actually steers/turns, not to the suspension arms.

Rather than trying to explain it myself I'm going to refer to our beloved Craig:
https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-the-mclaren ... 5NxvKyUXEQ
Again, the front suspension is not aggressively high, as with the MCL32, which is better for mechanical grip than aero. Although McLaren’s push rod set up retains the clever geometry used last year. The pushrod is the diagonal suspension member that transfers the loads from the wheel into the springs\dampers mounted inside the chassis.

Rather than mount this to the lower suspension arm, most teams mount it to the upright that steers with wheel. This way the suspension can be affected by steering, usually giving an anti-roll effect. McLaren and other teams have tried a more extreme geometry with the pushrod spaced a long way from the steering axis and aligned so that the ride height changes with steering.

Over the Winter the FIA issued a clarification that more than 5mm of ride height change with steering is not allowed. This was aimed at these extreme pushrod-on-upright designs. McLaren must therefore have arranged theirs so as not to exceed the 5mm change with steering.
Interesting. Something else I've noticed is a seeming lack of steering arm....unless I'm just blind and missed it completely. Did they somehow hide the steering arm in on of the suspension wishbones?

Morteza

They have added holes in this area they had the overheating problem

Via @crosaleny

They have also changed the bodywork (top is new)

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Avocado
Avocado

New nose! Very interesting.

cyclon

Best Looking
Not
Moving Car !!!

#-o
:(
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU