2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Brenton
Brenton

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 06:33
They have massive amounts of logging, revs, speed, temperatures, g forces, suspension loads, tyre temps, pressures, gps data, etc, etc. All generally logged at a >100hz
Yes, they collect a lot of data. My question is on the subject of what the teams are capable of doing with that data. Do they have advanced software that calculates theoretical performance of a car by looking at a few specific corners of a test lap? Where the software determines which corners the driver performed most ideally on and extrapolates a performance value based on that?

Tldr: how does a team determine if a setup or other change (new wing for example) made the car faster or slower?

rogazilla
rogazilla

Brenton wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 21:01
PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 06:33
They have massive amounts of logging, revs, speed, temperatures, g forces, suspension loads, tyre temps, pressures, gps data, etc, etc. All generally logged at a >100hz
Yes, they collect a lot of data. My question is on the subject of what the teams are capable of doing with that data. Do they have advanced software that calculates theoretical performance of a car by looking at a few specific corners of a test lap? Where the software determines which corners the driver performed most ideally on and extrapolates a performance value based on that?

Tldr: how does a team determine if a setup or other change (new wing for example) made the car faster or slower?
No first hand knowledge but I assume they can see how much suspension moved at a turn at certain speed, G level and have some idea of the chassis movement for one. I don't think you need advanced software for that. I am sure you can measure suspension movement and angle of steering at particular speed and g force and figure out all kind of setup configuration.

bauc

Good weather

No fog, rain, snow or low temperatures this morning, but clear blue skies and sunshine. Looks like great weather conditions for testing
FINALLY !!!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CBeck113
CBeck113

And here's the link to live timing:

https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/2365 ... st-in-2018
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Apparently Kubica was getting a right eyeful of the Ferrari.

That's where his experience is helpful. A younger eye may not totally know what he's looking at.

FightingHellPhish
FightingHellPhish

Anyone else find it really strange that Haas does very little aero rake and flow vis testing? 3rd year in a row too.

OzanA
OzanA

Any news for Mclaren?

bauc

OzanA wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:46
Any news for Mclaren?

The car returned to the pits after one lap with no power, that is all info available at the moment
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Anyone else getting the impression that the Merc likes the Mediums?

GPR-A duplicate2

Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:53
I suspect, they haven't found solution for the loss of their trick suspension. Seems like the car doesn't like the softer range of compounds. W09 might yet be another Diva, a slightly better version might be.

Morteza

bauc wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:48
OzanA wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:46
Any news for Mclaren?

The car returned to the pits after one lap with no power, that is all info available at the moment
It's on the track now. Did a 1m24.773s on super-softs.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

max_speed
max_speed

Vandoorne had posted personal best first and second sectors before that stoppage. Another early setback for McLaren.

Godius

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

GPR-A wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:55
Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:53
I suspect, they haven't found solution for the loss of their trick suspension. Seems like the car doesn't like the softer range of compounds. W09 might yet be another Diva, a slightly better version might be.
That could be a bit of a jump on your part TBH. It could also just be the tyres they have brought to testing.

They are touring around easily doing 1.20's on the mediums. Everyone had better hope to God that they can't use the softer compounds or that the Ferrari is super quick.