McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL33

Of course you want air to flow under the floor, you just don't want dirty air under there, you want to feed it as much as you can efficiently expand!

frosty125
frosty125

Very interesting it looks like McLaren's barge boards and floor are part of a concept where there is significant emphasis on sealing the sides of the floor and allowing enough flow under the diffuser so the flow doesn't separate or stall. Very different to the Ferrari concept that seems very focused on ensuring absolute maximum airflow to the rear of the car to drive their diffuser. No idea which one is better!

JonoNic

I'm not sure if this was uploaded here.

https://youtu.be/16Lz2ISSsKI

Always find the gap then use it.

Morteza

Via @F1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

It can't be looked at separately. Both airflow to the rear (top of the diffuser) and under the floor are important. They need to work together. Flow needs to be as constant as clean as possible. Creating downforce is one thing, but creating manageable downforce is equally important. That's the aerodynamic 'window'. Flow separation causes drag. With these high rakes teams are using the complete floor as a diffuser in itself. The floor need to be fed from the front. Floor edge vortexes have the same purpose as side skirts in the seventies (http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/side_skirts.html)

frosty125
frosty125

I wasn't saying that they are looked at separately. I was saying that there is a different emphasis between McLaren and Ferrari concepts despite both being high rake approaches. I'm not exactly sure of the reason they are bleeding air into the side of the floor is. However I suspect it is to help seal the floor and reduce separation rather than increasing the flow to energise the diffuser.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

And I wasn't replying or disagreeing with you :wink:

GoranF1
GoranF1

Body work will change to fix cooling

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ssion=true
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

F1Krof

I wouldn't be surprised it the McLaren's aggressive packaging that's causing all these troubles. Same tarned and smoked body pieces as in the last week. Looks like the exhaust pipes are very tightly packaged.
Wroom wroom

Thunder

Guys testing Talk in here Please: forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27067
Everything else Team Related in the Team Thread: forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26883
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

New cooling inlet

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Avocado
Avocado

Morteza

bauc

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Dextercitox
Dextercitox

Quite hot inside ! :?