2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Lap totals this week will be telling, for a championship contender, probably the most important stat given the 3 PU limit.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle
Jolle

The McLaren problem is said to be hydraulic. What usually means a gearbox that doesn't work.

tinvek
tinvek

given red bulls repeated issues with KERS in the Prodromou era, it does make you just wonder how much mclaren's much (self) praised great car design is at the expense of compromising the cooling of batteries and electronics etc

djones
djones

TAG wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:38
Lap totals this week will be telling, for a championship contender, probably the most important stat given the 3 PU limit.
Given the pathetic penalty for an engine change, all teams would be mad to not just use 4 or 5 and be a lot more powerful.

If I had to guess they will all do this apart from Mercedes, who will be playing some sort of marketing stunt just so they can say they did it on 3.

GPR-A duplicate2

djones wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:40
Given the pathetic penalty for an engine change, all teams would be mad to not just use 4 or 5 and be a lot more powerful.

If I had to guess they will all do this apart from Mercedes, who will be playing some sort of marketing stunt just so they can say they did it on 3.
It was Ferrari who vehemently denied Horner's request to change the ruling and keep the limit at 4 as it was last year. While Ferrari themselves had the reliability issues with their PU last year, they were not willing to bring in a change. Customer teams, other than Red Bull, are happy with 3 PU situation as it costs them less to buy one more.

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:09
Vasconia wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:06
BrunoH wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:55
Fernando thinking.. Embarrassing.. really embarrassing GP2 team... GP2 team heheheheh
Some people have said more than once that Honda was masking the actual situation in Mclaren. In many aspects the team seems to be a second class team right now. Many failures, poor reliablity, lack of leadership, bad pit stops.... :|
Seriously? Can't people read? Today it has been Renault batteries shutting down. It has been confirmed. Same thing happened with Renault on Thursday. It happened to Sainz's car today. What does McLaren have to do with Renault sourced batteries?

I do agree about the pitstop now.
Is the amount of problems which are affecting McLaren much more than other teams. I do hope they can solve them but pre-season is running fast and McLaren has Little time to solve its problems.

Blackout

makecry wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:09
Seriously? Can't people read? Today it has been Renault batteries shutting down. It has been confirmed. Same thing happened with Renault on Thursday. It happened to Sainz's car today. What does McLaren have to do with Renault sourced batteries?
Not true.

Big Mangalhit

GPR-A wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:43
djones wrote:

It was Ferrari who vehemently denied Horner's request to change the ruling and keep the limit at 4 as it was last year. While Ferrari themselves had the reliability issues with their PU last year, they were not willing to bring in a change. Customer teams, other than Red Bull, are happy with 3 PU situation as it costs them less to buy one more.
Mercedes had the same component usage (over quota I mean) than Ferrari, with Lewis and Seb getting 5 ICE, MGU-H and TC and the Finnish drivers using only the allowed components. As for their clients, none of them had a single component over quota, with Mercedes having the advantage of serving more teams thus a higher probability of failure (which they didn't do).

So I don't know why everybody claims the Merc had such a better reliability than Ferrari. They seem pretty on par to me, especially after Ferrari corrected the TC problems they had, also their first PU run for a crazy amount of km (there was a tweet somewhere saying this).

dans79

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:19
Mercedes had the same component usage (over quota I mean) than Ferrari, with Lewis and Seb getting 5 ICE, MGU-H and TC and the Finnish drivers using only the allowed components. As for their clients, none of them had a single component over quota, with Mercedes having the advantage of serving more teams thus a higher probability of failure (which they didn't do).

So I don't know why everybody claims the Merc had such a better reliability than Ferrari. They seem pretty on par to me, especially after Ferrari corrected the TC problems they had, also their first PU run for a crazy amount of km (there was a tweet somewhere saying this).
Ferrari's issues where because of component failures, Mercedes was because Lewis put the car in the wall in Brazil. Thus, Ferrari had worse reliability.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Squid
Squid

McLaren calls it a day:

[media]https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 8057272321[/media]

Big Mangalhit

dans79 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:23

Ferrari's issues where because of component failures, Mercedes was because Lewis put the car in the wall in Brazil. Thus, Ferrari had worse reliability.
Fair enough, but tbf the penalty on Vettel was because they found a structural problem in the TC that they fixed but because of that had to introduce the 3rd TC still in April, which left them only 2 TC (non-faulty ones, they for sure still used detuned faulty TC for FP's) for the rest of the year.

That is also pretty "exceptional" thing to happen, and if (big if I know) they don't have any "exceptional" failure like that they should be as bulletproof as the Merc.

Both just seem miles ahead of the two other suppliers in that department. The 2/3 component rule should really play in their hands

giantfan10
giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
djones wrote:

i agreed with Ferrari....Mercedes also agreed with Ferrari.....this was a Horner stunt....the facts: wait untill the manufacturers shelled out millions of dollars in research and development to extend the effective lifespan of each engine then say eeegh we should go back to 4 engines..... Red Bull of course spends zero dollars on engine R/D so Horner could care less about the wasted millions along with more millions to reverse course.

GPR-A duplicate2

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:19
GPR-A wrote:
djones wrote:

The number of components used are the same, but the reasons behind them are different. Hamilton got his components changed for Brazil (over the allocation), as he crashed his car in Brazil without having set any time in Q1, which meant that he was set to start from the back of the grid and hence, they went for a change of PU, otherwise there was no NEED to change it. Whereas, for Ferrari, the PU failed in Malaysia for both drivers, which there was no intention to change and even the changed PU, failed in Suzuka. There is that difference and that is why the situation isnt' the same, despite the component usage number being the same.

TAG

^^ it's the spark plugs and manifolds that are problematic. Those they get as many as they want.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:40
Whereas, for Ferrari, the PU failed in Malaysia for both drivers, which there was no intention to change and even the changed PU, failed in Suzuka. There is that difference and that is why the situation isnt' the same, despite the component usage number being the same.
To be clear, in Malaysia it was the exhaust that failed, and in Japan it was spark plug issues.
201 105 104 9 9 7