2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

2 fastest sectors from lewis......
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

BrunoH
BrunoH

Restomaniac wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:10
BrunoH wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:02
i said this before and got smoked here... so its the cooling thats cooking the engine and electronics... they have wayyy to small inlets.

they added a scoop and its still small. Like i said before they need a redesign of engine cover at least.
also fernando must be shouting GP2 team GP2 team... they cant hide behind Honda no more
Was the thing you smoked a kipper and were you back for breakfast?

Sorry couldn't resist it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

NathanOlder

slower is S3

Booooo
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Santozini
Santozini

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:12
slower is S3

Booooo
Where can you see sector times?

Phil

TwanV wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:17
haha that would be brilliant, but let's stay in this universe shall we? :lol: unless Pirelli has made a complete mess of their tires I can't see why more grip would be slower. shorter runs sure but I can't believe they're worse in the first couple of laps.
DISCLAIMER: I am not about to say that less grip will not result in faster times.... but

The whole point about different compounds is not solely because of "grip". Every different tire compound has a different working range. A tire under the working temperature range will not work, just as a tire that's over the working range won't work. On one hand, the cooler tire will probably be harder and offer less grip. Overheat the tire and it will lose grip as well. Then there is also tire pressure to consider. More heat equals more pressure.

Obviously, it's an important feat to work the tires you are using properly to 1.) get them into the ideal temperature working range 2.) to keep them there consistently and 3.) have good performance / good tire wear on them. Obviously, surface temperature and the surface itself can play a huge role in these 3 factors.

As we saw last year, the Mercedes worked best on "green" surfaces during cold temperatures, ideally on the harder compounds (M and S, even on the H tire). The Ferrari and especially the RedBull were more comfortable on the softer compounds.

At Barcelona during these conditions, who knows which is the best compound. That most likely depends on the car too and how well the car can keep it there under the fuel loads being used (more fuel = more weight = more lateral forces).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

matt_s
matt_s

NathanOlder wrote:
slower is S3

Booooo
Given the abrasive surface, I wonder if the hyper-soft will last for a whole lap.

Mattchu

Why do some seem to take pleasure in the demise/failures of McLaren? We all know the situation, it was never going to be an easy job switching to Renault power after the mess that occurred with Honda, they have done a lot more running in these tests than in the last few [not checked].

Having a strong, reliable, reasonably competitive Mclaren is good for Formula 1, just as it`s good to have Williams, Ferrari, Red Bull, FI, etc.
I understand peoples frustration with Boullier because sometimes he comes accross as a babbling bumbling buffoon who skirts the actual question and gives nonsensical answers. I`m sure they knew that testing was going to throw up several "issues" and i`d imagine they`ve prepared for them.
Anyway the colour looks nice :P

Also a quick note on the tyres....did Pirelli state they were trying to get a larger working window for each compound of tyres, so they all "came in" easier but lasted less for more grip the softer you went. Or was that just something I dreamt #-o
Last edited by Mattchu on 07 Mar 2018, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

NutritionFact

A couple of years ago I talk to red bull guy @ the f1 catering about testing and sector times.
He explained that some teams not running for sector times, they give a delta to the driver maybe 1.20 for a amount of laps like the number of corners. And in every lap 1 corner @max pace.

It should be hard to trace the real pace for outstanding people, of course they have GPS data, but no one knows where the mini sectors started.

Hope you understand what I try to explain, I'm not a native speaker...
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

matt_s
matt_s

matt_s wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:15

Given the abrasive surface, I wonder if the hyper-soft will last for a whole lap.
OK, scratch that. Cool down lap and then nearly a new lap record.

TwanV
TwanV

Phil wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:14
TwanV wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:17
haha that would be brilliant, but let's stay in this universe shall we? :lol: unless Pirelli has made a complete mess of their tires I can't see why more grip would be slower. shorter runs sure but I can't believe they're worse in the first couple of laps.
DISCLAIMER: I am not about to say that less grip will not result in faster times.... but

The whole point about different compounds is not solely because of "grip". Every different tire compound has a different working range. A tire under the working temperature range will not work, just as a tire that's over the working range won't work. On one hand, the cooler tire will probably be harder and offer less grip. Overheat the tire and it will lose grip as well. Then there is also tire pressure to consider. More heat equals more pressure.

Obviously, it's an important feat to work the tires you are using properly to 1.) get them into the ideal temperature working range 2.) to keep them there consistently and 3.) have good performance / good tire wear on them. Obviously, surface temperature and the surface itself can play a huge role in these 3 factors.

As we saw last year, the Mercedes worked best on "green" surfaces during cold temperatures, ideally on the harder compounds (M and S, even on the H tire). The Ferrari and especially the RedBull were more comfortable on the softer compounds.

At Barcelona during these conditions, who knows which is the best compound. That most likely depends on the car too and how well the car can keep it there under the fuel loads being used (more fuel = more weight = more lateral forces).
Agreed, over a single lap the softer tyre will always be faster if balance can be maintained. Which is probably what we're seeing right now with the small difference in times between compounds, just a lack of balance and understanding of the softer tires coming from the majority runs on the harder compound.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

NutritionFact wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:18
A couple of years ago I talk to red bull guy @ the f1 catering about testing and sector times.
He explained that some teams not running for sector times, they give a delta to the driver maybe 1.20 for a amount of laps like the number of corners. And in every lap 1 corner @max pace.

It should be hard to trace the real pace for outstanding people, of course they have GPS data, but no one knows where the mini sectors started.

Hope you understand what I try to explain, I'm not a native speaker...
good fact and i like your signature from mr berger

NathanOlder

Santozini wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:13
NathanOlder wrote:
slower is S3

Booooo
Where can you see sector times?
It was autosport commentary. they were watching it closely
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Mattchu

matt_s wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
slower is S3

Booooo
Barcelona has recently been relayed with silky smooth tarmac, it isn`t the brillo pad it was last year :wink:

Squid
Squid

Mattchu wrote:
Why do some seem to take pleasure in the demise/failures of McLaren? We all know the situation, it was never going to be an easy job switching to Renault power after the mess that occurred with Honda, they have done a lot more running in these tests than in the last few [not checked].

Having a strong, reliable, reasonably competitive Mclaren is good for Formula 1, just as it`s good to have Williams, Ferrari, Red Bull, FI, etc.
I understand peoples frustration with Boullier because sometimes he comes accross as a babbling bumbling bafoon who skirts the acual question and gives nonsensical answers. I`m sure they knew that testing was going to throw up several "issues" and i`d imagine they`ve prepared for them.
Anyway the colour looks nice :P
A lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by how McLaren basically washed their hands of any blame in what happened during those 3 years and put it all on Honda. I definitely want every team to be competitive, including McLaren, but I can't help but feel a little bit of schadenfreude. Just gotta get it out of my system and it'll pass. For example, McLaren's latest misfortune today is just about past the point of funny and into worrying.

Nickt9999
Nickt9999

Gerhardsa wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 11:43
FrukostScones wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 11:42
sauce?
Tomato
You Sir owe me a new keyboard. Just spat my drink out. :D