2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:40
That's one unreliable but fast car whit basic aero on.
Since when does the amount of wings equal performance? McLaren has said several times that this is the baseline configuration that will be used for correlation for the package that will arrive in Melbourne.

Some quotes from the analysis from Autosport:
The bargeboard area and the floor section is very intricate. Casting an eye over something as complicated as this is wrong - it's best just to say it has lots of components in all the right places
McLaren has done a first-class job. There are lots of bits in all the right places, but only the team knows if more development is required
McLaren has three small slots in the floor in front of the rear tyres, helping to seal the underfloor and diffuser in this area, but it also has two long slots down each side of the floor. McLaren is the first team to do this.
Yeah McLaren hasn't done everything perfect, but please stop acting like they are some kind ultimate retards.

GoranF1
GoranF1

RonDennis wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 18:12
GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:40
That's one unreliable but fast car whit basic aero on.
Since when does the amount of wings equal performance? McLaren has said several times that this is the baseline configuration that will be used for correlation for the package that will arrive in Melbourne.

Some quotes from the analysis from Autosport:
The bargeboard area and the floor section is very intricate. Casting an eye over something as complicated as this is wrong - it's best just to say it has lots of components in all the right places
McLaren has done a first-class job. There are lots of bits in all the right places, but only the team knows if more development is required
McLaren has three small slots in the floor in front of the rear tyres, helping to seal the underfloor and diffuser in this area, but it also has two long slots down each side of the floor. McLaren is the first team to do this.
Yeah McLaren hasn't done everything perfect, but please stop acting like they are some kind ultimate retards.
Mclaren bassicaly has 2017 wings and bargboard area on, they said big changes coming.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 05:46
galien wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 23:07
RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:52

Well it at least seems that none of the problems are being caused by the cooling, which is a good thing.
The validation method for batteries is quite interesting, Renault do it itself with a live stress test, then they select the best candidates. Theses methods from electronic industry are far way form classical methods used in mechanic area such as metrology / x ray inspection.
Curious that the only teams with battery problems are costumers Redbull and Mclaren, I guess Renault gets the best from the validation tests
Saints had problem too.

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 16:34
I guess not pit stops practice this week so far.
TROLL ALERT!

diffuser

Xero wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 17:21
Everyone is glossing over the fact this is the same engine cover with damaged heat shield from last week, following that exhaust clip failure. The cooling slots are purely a temporary fix, and allowing them to run under relatively normal conditions. It's unrelated to any of the stoppages over the past 2 days, so please stop jumping to outlandish conclusions that McLaren are plagued with overheating issues. They really aren't. I'd be more concerned about there being an issue with installation/assembly procedures possibly leading to needless problems.
Also the engine cover thing was kind of expected with the new PU supplier...at least I expected it. Either too loose or to right in spots. I knew it be part of the new skin for Australia.

Alonso Fan

Great effort from the mechanics
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Xero

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 18:40
Also the engine cover thing was kind of expected with the new PU supplier...at least I expected it. Either too loose or to right in spots. I knew it be part of the new skin for Australia.
Absolutely. McLaren have acknowledged that there is a slight heat pocket there that they'll iron out, but it's completely normal for any team, let alone one who have a new PU supplier. The fact they haven't rushed out a replacement tells us that the Melbourne spec package is already very different.

Also kudos to the team for getting Alonso back out for a shakedown before tomorrow. I expect Alonso will get a couple of hours running at the end should Vandoorne complete his programme in good time.

Edit: On second though, Vandoorne didn't get much running yesterday, so will likely get a full day tomorrow.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso: engine is good, chassis is good, if Melbourne is tomorrow we are ready.

😕

zeph
zeph

Am I alone with my sense of impending doom for McLaren?

rogazilla
rogazilla

>_< with that quote from Alonso... I am not sure if anyone should feel great or start to panic...

Engine Good: Yes
Chasis Good: Yes
ready for Aus: ?!
Last edited by rogazilla on 07 Mar 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Tomorrow will be alot better, 137 laps and no problem.

BrunoH
BrunoH

if they do 200 laps tomorrow.. they are still wayyyy behind!

GoranF1
GoranF1

BrunoH wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:00
According to Alonso it doesnt matter, so they must be fast.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:12
BrunoH wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:00
According to Alonso it doesnt matter, so they must be fast.
Is there a link for the Alonso interview?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Here is one but there were more quotes for Spanish media that are missing here

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/07/alo ... -last-day/