2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I like this one point Alonso brought up in his interview;

“The issues we have, they are well under control. Unfortunately we keep discovering small things every day but that I think is putting us in a strong position for Australia in the way that we are reinforcing all the small issues.”

If they have a flawless last two days I'm sure they'll be in good shape.

Big Tea

Can not help but think Mclaren of old would have nailed these 'small issues' before the arrived to test. It may be trivial of its self but has robbed them of testing time and must be affecting the mindset.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JonoNic

Xero wrote:I like this one point Alonso brought up in his interview;

“The issues we have, they are well under control. Unfortunately we keep discovering small things every day but that I think is putting us in a strong position for Australia in the way that we are reinforcing all the small issues.”

If they have a flawless last two days I'm sure they'll be in good shape.
Are you sure this interview is not from 2015? A bit of déjavu saying that everything is all right before Australia

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Better interview....

Today difference between you and Ricciardo on same tyre was 1.8 sec
How realistic is that

Alonso: in reality alot smaller.

http://soymotor.com/noticias/alonso-si- ... ssion=true
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:43
Here is one but there were more quotes for Spanish media that are missing here

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/07/alo ... -last-day/
Well, I hope he's proven right. Would still like to see them do more mileage and put some quick times in. Thanks for the link, by the way.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Tea wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:56
Can not help but think Mclaren of old would have nailed these 'small issues' before the arrived to test. It may be trivial of its self but has robbed them of testing time and must be affecting the mindset.
The old McLaren would have tested 50 days before the start of the season. It's not like McLaren has a perfect history, remember the McLaren MP4-18.

GoranF1
GoranF1

RonDennis wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 21:39
Big Tea wrote:
The old McLaren would have tested 50 days before the start of the season. It's not like McLaren has a perfect history, remember the McLaren MP4-18.
Should we bring back Ron Dennis and paint everything grey then?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

NathanOlder

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 21:41
RonDennis wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 21:39
Big Tea wrote:
Should we bring back Ron Dennis and paint everything grey then?
NO! paint it red and white and sign N.Prost and B.Senna . the world would stop to look.

About the car, people say its better to have the problems now and not Australia, are they trying to say Mclaren are better placed than the teams who have had no problems ?
Mercedes have had pretty much no problem, so they know they can run an average of 100 laps a day without fault. maybe they will run in to problems when they do another 300 laps over the next 2 days.Then they will know about problems caused by 1000ish laps. Mclaren have had loads of problems running 355 laps. They wont get to know of any problems when running 5, 6, 700 laps. So its not in any way good to have problems now! It is definitely NOT better to have no problems now. Its better to have no problems and run a long hard test program.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Alonso Fan

You contradicted yourself in your last two sentences...

I would so watch N. Prost vs B. Senna!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Giblet
Giblet

GoranF1 wrote:

About the car, people say its better to have the problems now and not Australia, are they trying to say Mclaren are better placed than the teams who have had no problems ?
Mercedes have had pretty much no problem, so they know they can run an average of 100 laps a day without fault. maybe they will run in to problems when they do another 300 laps over the next 2 days.Then they will know about problems caused by 1000ish laps. Mclaren have had loads of problems running 355 laps. They wont get to know of any problems when running 5, 6, 700 laps. So its not in any way good to have problems now! It is definitely NOT better to have no problems now. Its better to have no problems and run a long hard test program.
Mercedes is running the same engine that they designed for their car, McLaren are running a Renault engine for the first time.

This doom and gloom is getting boring and old. Red Bull showed up in 2015, nev er having mated the engine to the car. They could not get it started. It stayed in the garage for most of both tests, where they drilled holes in it to keep it running. Then when the season started, their fuel additive ate the orings in the fuel flow sensors, causing failures.

They won three races.

> So its not in any way good to have problems now!

YES IT IS. If you think you have the car sorted, the it goes boom with new issues in Australia, now you are behind IN THE SEASON and not just in testing. You don't lose points in testing do you now? Instead of developing the car, they are still figuring it out. That is 100000% what testing is for. To find issues and get mileage.

This is the same McLaren that showed up with Octopus exhaust in testing, then showed up with titanium diffuser and more similar exhaust to the others and won races that season as well.

Saying finding this out when the season started is not only illogical, it's ridiculously illogical.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 18:34
Redragon wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 16:34
I guess not pit stops practice this week so far.
TROLL ALERT!
Why am I a troll? For doing a sarcastic post based on the reasoning explained by Boullier, last few years they didn't have time for pit stops because so many problems, this week for whatever reason or problem they haven't run much and mechanics have been focusing in resolving the problems. So they probably if we follow Boullier argument they don't have time for pit stops practices.
Last edited by Redragon on 08 Mar 2018, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Redragon wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 22:26
diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 18:34
Redragon wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 16:34
I guess not pit stops practice this week so far.
TROLL ALERT!
Why am I a troll? For doing a sarcastic post based on the reasoning explained by Boullier, last few years they didn't have time for pit stops because so many problems, this week for whatever reason or problem they haven't run much and mechanics have been focusing in resolving the problems. So they probably if we follow Boullier argument they have time for pit stops practices.
Some people are just taking themselves too seriously.
Last edited by RonDennis on 08 Mar 2018, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Giblet wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 22:12
GoranF1 wrote:

Mercedes is running the same engine that they designed for their car, McLaren are running a Renault engine for the first time.

This doom and gloom is getting boring and old. Red Bull showed up in 2015, nev er having mated the engine to the car. They could not get it started. It stayed in the garage for most of both tests, where they drilled holes in it to keep it running. Then when the season started, their fuel additive ate the orings in the fuel flow sensors, causing failures.

They won three races.

> So its not in any way good to have problems now!

YES IT IS. If you think you have the car sorted, the it goes boom with new issues in Australia, now you are behind IN THE SEASON and not just in testing. You don't lose points in testing do you now? Instead of developing the car, they are still figuring it out. That is 100000% what testing is for. To find issues and get mileage.

This is the same McLaren that showed up with Octopus exhaust in testing, then showed up with titanium diffuser and more similar exhaust to the others and won races that season as well.

Saying finding this out when the season started is not only illogical, it's ridiculously illogical.
But having these problems now does not mean they will not have different problems come the first race. In fact, the less miles they run the more likely there are to be problems they have not yet encountered.

A broken clamp I suppose they will not find until it is out on a real run, but a leak, and even more so a burn?

BTW Mclaren to me is Always red and white in my mind, and I often feel a jolt of being cheated when I look up and see something else. :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McL-H
McL-H

Giblet wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

This is not the same McLaren as in 2012 in any way. Pretty much everyone who had a leading role in the development of that car is gone. It’s the same story with people saying McLaren can’t build a good car, because they couldn’t beat Mercedes with a Mercedes engine either. As if nothing has changed since then..

To the other point of your post. McLaren are way behind on their testing program and will not have enough knowledge of the car come Melbourne. Competition meanwhile could run their program without problems, have found weaknesses in their packages and are further in finding the right setups. McLaren will have to find out about their car in-season. They are lagging behind and will do so for the remainder of the year. Conclusion: not good.

Macklaren
Macklaren

McL-H wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:10
Giblet wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

This is not the same McLaren as in 2012 in any way. Pretty much everyone who had a leading role in the development of that car is gone. It’s the same story with people saying McLaren can’t build a good car, because they couldn’t beat Mercedes with a Mercedes engine either. As if nothing has changed since then..

To the other point of your post. McLaren are way behind on their testing program and will not have enough knowledge of the car come Melbourne. Competition meanwhile could run their program without problems, have found weaknesses in their packages and are further in finding the right setups. McLaren will have to find out about their car in-season. They are lagging behind and will do so for the remainder of the year. Conclusion: not good.
I agree (and Mclaren will as well) that they are lagging behind their program now but to doom them for the rest of the year is a bit extreme. People seem to forget that they did 160 laps on Friday and did more laps than RB in Test 1. Its possible that they isolated all their issues, have a genuinely fast car that will get faster with the Melbourne spec bolted on and can challenge for the podium. Or this can be the top of a slide into a terrible season. We simply wont know until everyone lines up in Oz